Obama and Rick Warren

HuskyCaucasian

Good Lord! (no pun intended) Would the far left just calm the F*** down. All I hear is "what does this really say about Obama? How could he spurn the left? Is Obama secretly anti-homosexual?"

He's a famous pastor. He's going to the inaugural to open it up with a simple prayer. He's not going to go on an anti-gay diatribe. Would they rather have him bring out Rev. Wright?

Calm down!

Again, as has been coming up regularly... Obama is doing exactly what he said he'd do - be politically inclusive with his cabinet, close circle, etc. If anyone really thought that Obama would be surrounding himself entirely with far-left liberals, then they were either not paying attention (wishful thinking), or they were Republicans trying to scare people about an Obama Presidency.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
After Obama was silent on prop 8 and now this, I could see why the GLBT community is not happy.

Obama doesn't support gay marriage, that shouldn't have been a secret, he's never pretended to support it either. He supports gays and gay rights is on his agenda, but not 100%.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
Obama doesn't support gay marriage, that shouldn't have been a secret, he's never pretended to support it either. He supports gays and gay rights is on his agenda, but not 100%.

But isn't Warren someone who proactively opposes gay marriage? Seems like there could have been a thousand better choices for the selection.

I see why he did it. At my parents conservative church they had all these book readings of The Purpose Driven Life--I think he's trying to engage evangelicals. I think a lot of people that otherwise wouldn't have paid attention to the inauguration will now. It is a slap in the face to all the GLBT people who worked hard for Obama, but he's more gay tolerant than gay accepting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
Again, as has been coming up regularly... Obama is doing exactly what he said he'd do - be politically inclusive with his cabinet, close circle, etc. If anyone really thought that Obama would be surrounding himself entirely with far-left liberals, then they were either not paying attention (wishful thinking), or they were Republicans trying to scare people about an Obama Presidency.

^^^^^^

What he said. I was worried he would surround himself with the far-left liberals because of his voting record in the senate and in Illinois, but he ran his campaign as if he was going to try and include everybody, and he seems to be doing that up to this point.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
But isn't Warren someone who proactively opposes gay marriage? Seems like there could have been a thousand better choices for the selection.

It's just the invocation, I mean it's not like Obama set out to change his agenda all of a sudden or anything. I can understand why they (the gay community and gay rights activists, whose fight for equality I agree with btw) don't like the pic, but they have to understand, it's not all about them. Obama's not going to spend his presidency governing specifically for one set of political views, and even said as such in his victory speech. This is something I noticed about the far left almost immediately after the election.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 07:20 PM)
It's just the invocation, I mean it's not like Obama set out to change his agenda all of a sudden or anything. I can understand why they (the gay community and gay rights activists, whose fight for equality I agree with btw) don't like the pic, but they have to understand, it's not all about them. Obama's not going to spend his presidency governing specifically for one set of political views, and even said as such in his victory speech. This is something I noticed about the far left almost immediately after the election.

I don't care, I'm with them. You can engage the bigot without having him swear you in. It's like giving him validation and availability.

It's not necessarily being anti-gay, it's making being anti-gay part of your platform and being a political activist against it. BUt further, as soon as Obama picked a pastor they become recognizeable. No need to pick an asshole just because people know who he is. Hey, Jerry Fallwell, he's pretty recognizeable, albeit a little stiff at the moment.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
It's not necessarily being anti-gay, it's making being anti-gay part of your platform and being a political activist against it. BUt further, as soon as Obama picked a pastor they become recognizeable. No need to pick an asshole just because people know who he is. Hey, Jerry Fallwell, he's pretty recognizeable, albeit a little stiff at the moment.

So what makes him an asshole, because he opposes gay marriage. Maybe he hates the sin, yet loves the sinner.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
So what makes him an asshole, because he opposes gay marriage. Maybe he hates the sin, yet loves the sinner.

Which is of course why his church doesn't allow "unrepentant" gay people as members. To love them so much that they don't have to smell them.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
Good luck finding a recognizable religious figure to do your invocation who isn't anti-gay.

How about Jim Wallis? I've heard a few people mention his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Wallis

I'd rather not have a young-earth creationist & anti-gay guy doing this, but I honestly don't care all that much.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
How about Jim Wallis? I've heard a few people mention his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Wallis

I'd rather not have a young-earth creationist & anti-gay guy doing this, but I honestly don't care all that much.

Warren got chosen because of his book.

Simple as that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
Which is of course why his church doesn't allow "unrepentant" gay people as members. To love them so much that they don't have to smell them.

I am sure the stench of Aqua Velva can seep under the doorjamb. Would need to do more than just shut the door on them.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
Good luck finding a recognizable religious figure to do your invocation who isn't anti-gay.

There's always the head of the American Episcopal Church. That wasn't very hard.