Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

In case people didn't know, there's was a tragedy in Accadia National Park where 3 people were swept into the water by waves as told in this story.

I was actually there, and was among the group that first alerted the rangers that people were in the water. They were no more than 100 yards in front of us and there was nothing we could do. Pretty awful feeling. We have some great pics from that day. It was really beautiful before everything turned bad.

There were actually very few warnings about the waves despite what the rangers say.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, we could see three in the water. We didn't know about the other injuries. Not 5 minutes after we saw them, a wave came and we could only see 2. Turned out that young girl died. I don't know how 2 made it out. The waves were 10-15 feet high and the water was around 60 degrees.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
Yeah, we could see three in the water. We didn't know about the other injuries. Not 5 minutes after we saw them, a wave came and we could only see 2. Turned out that young girl died. I don't know how 2 made it out. The waves were 10-15 feet high and the water was around 60 degrees.

Reading the story and learning about the poor girl was brutal, and knowing you were on-hand to experience that makes it even more heart-wrenching.

Interesting to hear your first-hand account that there was very little warning as to the potential danger from the storm waves. It was certainly my assumption — and not necessarily due to media portrayal — that a fair degree of peril would have been obvious to anyone on the shoreline.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
Reading the story and learning about the poor girl was brutal, and knowing you were on-hand to experience that makes it even more heart-wrenching.

Interesting to hear your first-hand account that there was very little warning as to the potential danger from the storm waves. It was certainly my assumption — and not necessarily due to media portrayal — that a fair degree of peril would have been obvious to anyone on the shoreline.

I don't think people realize the pure power of those waves that are generated from storms like that. They look awesome, and neat, but there's so much power...

The thing about the waves is that their height is due to the shape of the rocks beneath the water as opposed to above. Also, we were heading into high tide which caused the situation to become dangerous fairly quickly. I have pictures of people sitting high on the rocks, then 10 minutes later, they were running from the water.

All that said, the area these people went in was the most dangerous area and it didn't take a park ranger to figure that out.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
The thing about the waves is that their height is due to the shape of the rocks beneath the water as opposed to above. Also, we were heading into high tide which caused the situation to become dangerous fairly quickly. I have pictures of people sitting high on the rocks, then 10 minutes later, they were running from the water.

All that said, the area these people went in was the most dangerous area and it didn't take a park ranger to figure that out.

I've been there and I remember that place. If you get caught there, there's very little anyone can do very quickly.

DSC_3559.JPG

Notice the cliffs in the background. That's water splashing up the cliff. That had to be about 50-100 feet high.

DSC_3579.JPG

I just like that pic.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
I've been there and I remember that place. If you get caught there, there's very little anyone can do very quickly.

It took 30 minutes for the Coast Guard to arrive by boat. There was no helicopter on the island.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
I can't see them for some reason.

Somethings up because they aren't showing up all the time.

149qtrr.jpg

k4easj.jpg

ejem1d.jpg

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
The La Canada fire is probably 10 miles from me. Closest wildfire to me since I've been here.

I'm assuming that webcam shows some sort of view but is just obscured by all the smoke? I've got some friends in various regions of California and they all say the air is so smokey and they're not even close to the fires. Kind of crazy, those forest fires are always just a news blurb that don't mean much to me but then I realize that a lot of people are actually affected by them every year.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
I'm assuming that webcam shows some sort of view but is just obscured by all the smoke? I've got some friends in various regions of California and they all say the air is so smokey and they're not even close to the fires. Kind of crazy, those forest fires are always just a news blurb that don't mean much to me but then I realize that a lot of people are actually affected by them every year.

So basically, after last night, I know what it feels like to be a delicious rack of barbeque ribs.

For now that cam is just showing smoke. But there's likely to be a serious battle to keep the fire from that equipment later today.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)

Check that image now. The fire is right there.