2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
I'm assuming the injury requiring the surgery was the result of that infamous play in spring training, where Ozzie had him playing 1B.

If so... are there any financial implications for the Sox?

Considering he played after rehabbing that season, then played the entire next season, why would the Sox be responsible for the surgery? He could have done it on the Sox dime twice(after the original injury in 2007 and then in the offseason between 07 and 08)

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
if you are a major league baseball player...why do you have all of your money in one spot?? youd think these guys would be smarter than this

If you're making double-digit returns with a guy who is politically connected up the Wazoo, hanging out with Congressmen, Ex-Presidents, taking them on Junkets to the Caribbean, etc., why would you look a gift horse in the mouth?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
If you're making double-digit returns with a guy who is politically connected up the Wazoo, hanging out with Congressmen, Ex-Presidents, taking them on Junkets to the Caribbean, etc., why would you look a gift horse in the mouth?

maybe im just ultra skeptical after the whole madoff thing, but id be leary of anyone who promises double digit returns year in and year out...also its still inexcusable to not at least have enough money for living expenses in some sort of safer account...hell id imagine he at least would have some nice real estate somewhere

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
maybe im just ultra skeptical after the whole madoff thing, but id be leary of anyone who promises double digit returns year in and year out...also its still inexcusable to not at least have enough money for living expenses in some sort of safer account...hell id imagine he at least would have some nice real estate somewhere

So let's see, he's making double digit returns off of his investments with the scammer, and as of summer 2006 his nice real estate has gone up 50% in the last 5 years. What could go wrong?!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
So let's see, he's making double digit returns off of his investments with the scammer, and as of summer 2006 his nice real estate has gone up 50% in the last 5 years. What could go wrong?!

Regardless of the return your getting, especially with the kind of money he is making.... should be money that is safely set aside, when your making millions of dollars a year, is it 2 hard to put 1 million in banks?

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 01:16 AM)
Regardless of the return your getting, especially with the kind of money he is making.... should be money that is safely set aside, when your making millions of dollars a year, is it 2 hard to put 1 million in banks?

Yup. No problem with that either. Hi, Indymac, I'd like to open an account. Oh don't worry, I'm sure you guys are safe, I don't need to care about the FDIC limit... :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Yup. No problem with that either. Hi, Indymac, I'd like to open an account. Oh don't worry, I'm sure you guys are safe, I don't need to care about the FDIC limit... :lolhitting

Im sorry you think its dumb, i just dont want to invest all my money in one thing incase something goes wrong. I know that the return being offered would be hard to pass up, but Scotty Eyre was making what 5ish million a year with the cubs, I think Id invest 2/3 of that into the investment and have the rest spread out among banks and whatnot.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm not a genius or anything....but does Manny think he's really gonna get a better deal than what he's been offered?

makes me think he doesn't want to play for the dodgers. They are throwing ridiculous amounts of cash at him.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
makes me think he doesn't want to play for the dodgers. They are throwing ridiculous amounts of cash at him.

They are annoyed at the deferred money. Boras issued a statement that said if it was a straight up 2 year 45 they would sign. Dodgers are OK for now since there doesn't appear to be another team in the mix, but IMO they're on very thin ice. All they need is for Teixeira to blow a hamstring out rounding a base in ST and then Boras dream comes true. You can switch Tex's name out with many players and teams, just using as an example of how no market for Manny could become one quickly.

Kind of a generic/broad question, but where do people go for good baseball coverage? How has the MLB Network been?

I'm looking for more of an honest assesment of MLB. Deadspin is good for this but it's not baseball centered and it's a little too jokey sometimes. firejoemorgan was very good but not around anymore. I'm just leery of ESPN and such since they have so much money tied in with MLB and they have idiots covering it. Phillips and Kruk are absolute clowns. I can't believe Phillips was a major market GM at one point with some of the insane things he says.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
Kind of a generic/broad question, but where do people go for good baseball coverage? How has the MLB Network been?

I'm looking for more of an honest assesment of MLB. Deadspin is good for this but it's not baseball centered and it's a little too jokey sometimes. firejoemorgan was very good but not around anymore. I'm just leery of ESPN and such since they have so much money tied in with MLB and they have idiots covering it. Phillips and Kruk are absolute clowns. I can't believe Phillips was a major market GM at one point with some of the insane things he says.

MLB Network is great

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
Due to his continued arm problems apparently Brandon McCarthy has abandoned his curveball and replaced it with a less abrasive slider. That Danks trade just keeps looking better.

Seriously?

Man that changeup was murder on people when he had it working.