2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manny is officially back on the Dodgers

Per ESPN

After months of back-and-forth negotiations, a meeting Wednesday between Manny Ramirez, his agents and Los Angeles Dodgers management has culminated in a deal for the slugger.

Ramirez and the Dodgers have agreed in principal on a two-year, $45 million contract, pending a physical.

The outfielder, his agents Scott Boras and Mike Fiore, and Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and general manager Ned Colletti met in Los Angeles to finalize the deal.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
Due to his continued arm problems apparently Brandon McCarthy has abandoned his curveball and replaced it with a less abrasive slider. That Danks trade just keeps looking better.

Speaking of Brandon,

Rangers scratch McCarthy from spring start

Doesn't sound too bad, but the guy can never catch a break with these injuries...

Edited by GarlandFan20

I may be in the minority and I'll say this, I would love to get B-Mac back and I'm sure we can get him back for alot less. I don't know what the Rangers' training/conditioning staff is like over there, but he has not been the same since he got traded. I don't understand how a kid, who was never injured in the minors or in the bigs with us, can just become so injury prone all of a sudden. If Marquez, Broadway, Richard, Poreda, etc.. etc.. don't work out in the forseeable future.. why not take a look at B-Mac.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
I may be in the minority and I'll say this, I would love to get B-Mac back and I'm sure we can get him back for alot less. I don't know what the Rangers' training/conditioning staff is like over there, but he has not been the same since he got traded. I don't understand how a kid, who was never injured in the minors or in the bigs with us, can just become so injury prone all of a sudden. If Marquez, Broadway, Richard, Poreda, etc.. etc.. don't work out in the forseeable future.. why not take a look at B-Mac.

If he doesn't have his changeup, he's not going to be that good. That was his murder pitch.

And even when he was here, a number of people were worried about him as an injury risk as he had a very violent delivery for his frame. Gave him a great changeup (really fast, violent delivery with the ball being hard to pick up, and a changeup with a ton of movement on it) but even then, still an injury risk.

Plus, he hung around with Anderson. And that's a freaking crime. You can't do that crap.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
Is anyone else starting to worry about Juan Pierre? Bad contract, yes, but he wants a trade, and Kenny wants him.

Or he could just sign the recently released Dave Roberts. That'd be fun, right? Right?

Why is there an apostrophe on Oakland's hat?

lmao never thought of that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Athletics

Though for a time as a Kansas City team, the "A"s wore "Kansas City" on their road jerseys and an interlocking "KC" on the cap, upon moving to Oakland the "A" cap emblem was restored, although in 1970 an "apostrophe-s" was added to the cap and uniform emblem to reflect the fact that then-team owner Charles O. Finley was in the process of officially changing the team's name to the "A's".

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
Is anyone else starting to worry about Juan Pierre? Bad contract, yes, but he wants a trade, and Kenny wants him.

yeah, I'm worried. Not that he's all that worse than the options now, the Sox have done a great job of clearing a ton of salary after this season and don't want to see them add more for Juan Pierre. If the Dodgers are willing to eat a vast majority of it, I wouldn't object too much.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
lmao never thought of that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Athletics

From a proper English standpoint, it makes sense. You are supposed to use an apostrophe to indicate the shortening of a word, such as a contraction. A's is just short for Athletics.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
I'm really curious to see how A-Rod comes back on defense. If he's limited and they have Jeter, who is a terrible defensive SS, out there with him, that left side of the infield could be terrible

Maybe they'd want Betemit back. ;)