Gavin Floyd for Brian Roberts discussed

JDsDirtySox

Doesn't make sense for either team. We all know our current pitching situation. As for the O's? They've got 3 or maybe even 4 of the sickest pitching prospects in all of baseball. And I think they have the 5th pick in this year's upcoming draft. So if they decide to go for a pitcher, they'll have their pick from the likes of Tyler Matzek or Matt Purke (the two top rated HS pitchers), Aaron Crow, Alex White or Kyle Gibson. Those are pretty much the top pitchers (not including Stephen Strasburg, who's pretty much the consensus #1 pick wherever you look) in this year's draft class. If the O's are FINALLY gonna part with Roberts, it won't be for pitching. At least I don't think so.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This deal would never get done! First, we all know Kenny is under the radar and everything he wants we never know until it happens. Two, Gavin is inexpensive and had a great year last year. So this topic should go bye bye!

And three we all know that Kenny's waiting to sign ARod after his contract is over. He is just saving his money for Arod and Manny when he's about 40-41. Come on guys! Let's snap into reality here! lol

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
This deal would never get done! First, we all know Kenny is under the radar and everything he wants we never know until it happens. Two, Gavin is inexpensive and had a great year last year. So this topic should go bye bye!

This has been proven to be false by members on here, notably Kalapse in a thread about a month back. There have been several deals in the past which the Sox have been linked to which KW has made.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
I just don't think there's much to this at all but typical Internet rumors.

Gonzales has confirmed KW hasn't spoken with the Orioles since November...unless KW lied (or is lying) to him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2233078.story

Or someone like Mark Hahn is doing the talking...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
Or someone like Mark Hahn is doing the talking...

Do you really think a deal of the magnitude that hasn't been able to be reached by Jim Hendry for 2-3 years is going to be pulled off without KW picking up the phone over the period of an entire month before it gets done?

KW might trust his lieutenants, but he's never going to present a trade as "Rick Hahn's trade" in any way, shape or form. The buck stops with him, and I thin his ego's too big to delegate 100% to one of his deputies. He might have said, get an idea what Baltimore might want for Roberts...but he will be involved quickly enough if it's near time to close the deal and pull the trigger. That's his reputation, as a straight shooter you can get a deal done with, at least it has been for the last 2-3 seasons.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
Do you really think a deal of the magnitude that hasn't been able to be reached by Jim Hendry for 2-3 years is going to be pulled off without KW picking up the phone over the period of an entire month before it gets done?

KW might trust his lieutenants, but he's never going to present a trade as "Rick Hahn's trade" in any way, shape or form. The buck stops with him, and I thin his ego's too big to delegate 100% to one of his deputies. He might have said, get an idea what Baltimore might want for Roberts...but he will be involved quickly enough if it's near time to close the deal and pull the trigger. That's his reputation, as a straight shooter you can get a deal done with, at least it has been for the last 2-3 seasons.

I can't believe I called him "Mark" :bang

Anyways, it is pretty well known that Hahn has been trying to find a real GM job around MLB. IIRC he interviewed with the Cards and M's. From what I understand it is very common that Hahn does a solid amount of work on many deals. It wouldn't surprise me if Rick ( HA, I got it right that time) was doing leg work on multiple deals to try to cover more ground while Kenny worked on other deals.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Got this from www.orioleshangout.com:

Scott Garceau just reported on 105.7 the FAN that a deal that sends B-Rob could possibly include Jermaine Dye coming back along with Floyd. FWIW....

lol, so which young pitcher are they sending back the Sox way? I'll take Arrieta, if that's OK with them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Got this from www.orioleshangout.com:

Scott Garceau just reported on 105.7 the FAN that a deal that sends B-Rob could possibly include Jermaine Dye coming back along with Floyd. FWIW....

Maybe if Melvin Mora was included and we signed Bobby Abreu...

I think its safe to say we are not getting Brian Roberts.... So we can stop talking about it now. It was nice to have something to talk about for a few days but KW just may be finished dealing after all. I hope im wrong but i really dont expect any other major moves.