Armstrong, Cole CAN L/R6'3" (191cm)220lbs (100kg)08/24/1983

Castillo, JavierPAN R/R6'2" (188cm)220lbs (100kg)08/29/1983

Danks, John USA L/L6'1" (185cm)200lbs (91kg)04/15/1985

Dotel, Octavio DOM R/R6'0" (183cm)215lbs (98kg)11/25/1973

Pierzynski, A.J. USA L/R6'4" (193cm)240lbs (109kg)12/30/1976

Quentin, Carlos USA R/R6'2" (188cm)220lbs (100kg)08/28/1982

Thornton, Matt USA L/L6'5" (196cm)245lbs (111kg)09/15/1976

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/roster...mp;sort=mlbclub

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
I don't like Danks being a part of it...not at all.

Agreed. I don't like A.J. being a part of it either. He now has no chance of building good relationships with our new pitchers in ST.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Agreed. I don't like A.J. being a part of it either. He now has no chance of building good relationships with our new pitchers in ST.

GMAB, its a few weeks. They are going to spend the next 6 months together.

I like that Quentin is going. It's good for him, he will be getting his swing back and just getting back to playing baseball after breaking his hand. And as for him not playing for Mexico, that'd make no sense.

I don't like having any of our pitchers playing in it, especially Danks and Dotel. Danks needs to keep his arm fresh for the season, and Dotel needs to pitch as least as possible with his injury concerns. Also, Thornton should avoid it as well. He's the key for our bullpen, IMO.

However, all in all, I wish the WBC would go with basically only minor leaguers like the Olympics did. I like the idea of the WBC since the Olympics are getting rid of it, and this past year they even ruined it with some new stupid rules, but I hate the idea of having key players on teams, especially pitchers, participating. However, I do like minor leaguers getting added development in the WBC.

It seems that one of the main reasons for creating the WBC was to get the superstars of the came representing their country. It wouldn't make a hell of a lot of sense to have the WBC be only minor leaguers. The goal of it is to make it like baseball's World Cup, and the greatest soccer players in the world play in that; why wouldn't you keep that true about the WBC?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
GMAB, its a few weeks. They are going to spend the next 6 months together.

Doesn't matter a whole lot, but I think it makes sense to create some chemistry between A.J. and the new guys before the season rather than during.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
It seems that one of the main reasons for creating the WBC was to get the superstars of the came representing their country. It wouldn't make a hell of a lot of sense to have the WBC be only minor leaguers. The goal of it is to make it like baseball's World Cup, and the greatest soccer players in the world play in that; why wouldn't you keep that true about the WBC?

Thank you. It's marketed as the best of the best. I guess it is true, Americans really don't have pride in themselves. They rather win a league championship over a truly world championship. I don't see soccer teams complaining about their guys playing and they would have more of a gripe as countries play friendly matchups against each other all the time. I'm glad Danks and Co. are going as they are thought of as some of the best players.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:13 AM)
Thank you. It's marketed as the best of the best. I guess it is true, Americans really don't have pride in themselves. They rather win a league championship over a truly world championship. I don't see soccer teams complaining about their guys playing and they would have more of a gripe as countries play friendly matchups against each other all the time. I'm glad Danks and Co. are going as they are thought of as some of the best players.

Exactly. It kind of sucks to see Danks going because it puts him at risk of injuring himself, but if you want to pitch for your country and you're healthy, I say go pitch.

im not a huge fan of those guys missing a big chunk of ST, but on the flip side...with AJ, Danks, Quentin, Thornton, Dotel gone for alot of ST, i'd imagine we would see alot of Flowers, Poreda, Richard, Marquez, Owens and Anderson. Again, not that its preferable, but it will at least create more openings in the normal ST games to get a good look at young guys and guys battling it out for positions

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Exactly. It kind of sucks to see Danks going because it puts him at risk of injuring himself, but if you want to pitch for your country and you're healthy, I say go pitch.

considering the leading pitcher in 06 was Clemens with 6IP or so, I doubt anyone is going to get "worn out"

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:13 AM)

I don't have pride in my country because I think the WBC is silly and contrived? I just don't see that. I'm currently going through the process to see if I will be accepted as an FBI agent, which is time consuming and I have to put my life on hold for no guarantee that I'll be accepted, but I guess since I don't like the WBC that cancels that service I want to do for my country out.

Being proud of your country isn't all about flag waving. Also, IMO the MLB World Series is clearly the true championship, there's no need for the WBC. MLB has the best players in the world, minus some Japanese players who are under their rigid contract system and some other obscure examples I'm missing that others will try and argue, for a full season and a playoff system.

Edited by SoxFan562004

You guys worry too much. Let 'em play. Spring training is too long anyway. My feeling is in baseball the teams with the best players and the ones who play hard win. All the other stuff is crap. We have a manager who will make them care and play hard. I don't think we have the best players right now. So we ain't gonna win the pennant as it stands now. Enjoy seeing our guys in this stupid tournament.