Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Schaub was traded for two 2nd round picks with the Texans and Falcons also swapping their first round picks that year (Atlanta moved up 2 spots, from 10 to 8). Matt Schaub threw for 1033 yards and had a 6/6 TD:INT ratio in sporadic playing time in 3 years with the Falcons. Using the same type of metrics, for Denver to trade Cutler, it will probably take a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and then a conditional 1st or 2nd next year as well. I don't see it as possible at all, unless Denver wants to try and go out and acquire Matt Gutierrez to see if McDaniels can work his magic again, because they don't have anybody behind Cutler that's even worth trying to start.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
If you get Orton Marshall and Royal, he probably has identical stats to Cutler.

Watch both of them play, and reconsider this statement. Orton can't throw the ball nearly as hard nor as accurate as Cutler. Plus Denver basically threw the ball every down last year because they lost all of their RB's Orton had the benefit of defense's having to respect Forte, and that only a few defenses actually respected the bears passing game.

If Orton was in Cutler's shoes... he would have had a lot more INT's

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
If you get Orton Marshall and Royal, he probably has identical stats to Cutler.

PFFFFF. Next time just type "whatever I am about to post is a huge lie" to save us the time of reading into your statements.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Watch both of them play, and reconsider this statement. Orton can't throw the ball nearly as hard nor as accurate as Cutler. Plus Denver basically threw the ball every down last year because they lost all of their RB's Orton had the benefit of defense's having to respect Forte, and that only a few defenses actually respected the bears passing game.

If Orton was in Cutler's shoes... he would have had a lot more INT's

Yeah, and everytime Orton threw it to anyone except Hester, chances are it was going to be dropped.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
lol, wut?

25 TD's and 20 turnovers isn't very good. But hey, he throws the ball hard so let's trade 80,000 picks for him.

BTW- here's my newest mock for the Bears:

1. Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

2. Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers

3. Sherrod Martin, FS, Troy

3. Tyronne Green, OG, Auburn

4. Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston

5. Marko Mitchell, WR, Nevada

6. Londen Fryar, CB, Western Michigan

7. David Veikune, DE, Hawaii

7. Russell Allen, OLB, San Diego State

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
25 TD's and 20 turnovers isn't very good. But hey, he throws the ball hard so let's trade 80,000 picks for him.

Kyle Orton had 17 turnovers, and the Bears didn't throw the ball nearly as much as the Broncos did.

25:18:20 TD/INT/TO

18:12:17 TD/INT/TO

Add to it that Cutler completed 4% more throws throughout the season and that his YPA was damn near a full yard more, and it's not hard to see that Cutler is a superior QB. Marshall is a #1 receiver but I don't know if I'd say he's one of the 10 best in the NFL, and Eddie Royal is, as I said before, nothing more than a solid slot receiver. Their big numbers are because of Cutler playing QB and not the other way around. Their numbers are also inflated because of how much Denver actually threw the ball, but that's because Denver played to their strength at QB, which also speaks volumes about Cutler.

So, to counter your statement, 18 TD's and 17 TO's isn't very good either; in fact, I'd say it's far worse than 25:20.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
So, to counter your statement, 18 TD's and 17 TO's isn't very good either; in fact, I'd say it's far worse than 25:20.

Why bother? He does not like numbers and facts. But on the plus side, numbers and facts end arguments with whitesoxbrian. So for that, I thank you.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)

BTW- here's my newest mock for the Bears:

1. Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

2. Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers

3. Sherrod Martin, FS, Troy

3. Tyronne Green, OG, Auburn

4. Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston

5. Marko Mitchell, WR, Nevada

6. Londen Fryar, CB, Western Michigan

7. David Veikune, DE, Hawaii

7. Russell Allen, OLB, San Diego State

If they don't take CB/S or DE in the first, I will be very upset.

But you are all missing the point. Cutler had an OL and a WR corps that is better by far then the one we have here. If you think Cutler would come here with our current team and succeed, you're wrong.

If we would have signed Houshmandzadeh or traded for Chad Johnson, then I would have said let's try to bring in Cutler. But to trade 3 draft picks in the next 2 years that will all be in the first 2 rounds to get a guy that has no help would be ridiclous.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
But you are all missing the point. Cutler had an OL and a WR corps that is better by far then the one we have here. If you think Cutler would come here with our current team and succeed, you're wrong.

If we would have signed Houshmandzadeh or traded for Chad Johnson, then I would have said let's try to bring in Cutler. But to trade 3 draft picks in the next 2 years that will all be in the first 2 rounds to get a guy that has no help would be ridiclous.

Why don't you understand that it starts at the QB position in the NFL? Sure we might need a year or two to fill up right pieces around Cutler. Would you rather throw the dice on Orton? What if he never pans out to what we need? Would you rather throw dice in the draft some time? At least we know Cutler is a proven talent. He is 25 years old with a cannon. With someone his caliber we could be more flexible with the playbook. (kind of like when Rex was in his groove 1st half of 06) . Like I said, I understand we need to build around him. You may not like Cutler, but I like him a lot more than Orton or a QB in the Draft.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
Why don't you understand that it starts at the QB position in the NFL? Sure we might need a year or two to fill up right pieces around Cutler. Would you rather throw the dice on Orton? What if he never pans out to what we need? Would you rather throw dice in the draft some time? At least we know Cutler is a proven talent. He is 25 years old with a cannon. With someone his caliber we could be more flexible with the playbook. (kind of like when Rex was in his groove 1st half of 06) . Like I said, I understand we need to build around him. You may not like Cutler, but I like him a lot more than Orton or a QB in the Draft.

I do understand that it starts at the QB and I do understand he's a proven talent, but what has he done? Sure, his defense was awful, but it didn't help that in the last 3 weeks of the year he threw 2 TD's and 4 INT's.

I'd love to get him...but I'm not about to trade our 1st and 3rd this year and a 3rd next year for him.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
I do understand that it starts at the QB and I do understand he's a proven talent, but what has he done? Sure, his defense was awful, but it didn't help that in the last 3 weeks of the year he threw 2 TD's and 4 INT's.

I'd love to get him...but I'm not about to trade our 1st and 3rd this year and a 3rd next year for him.

He's a proven talent -- but what has he done?

If he's a proven talent -- hasn't he already done something?

People are willing to make that trade... because he's a transcendent player and the most important position in sports. He's 26... yah you might not win the superbowl this year, but you can improve the OL and WR in the future.

Opportunities like this rarely come along in the NFL... why? because QB's this good and this young basically never are available.

If your the bears -- a team that has had 1 good QB season in the last 20+ years -- you take a guy like Jay Cutler regardless of what you have surrounding him. Jay Cutler becomes step 1 in the plan step 2 is to surround him with the talent. If we wait until we have a good WR and OL... were not going to get a guy like Jay Cutler, we'd have to instead hope that Orton pans out or that we find one in the draft or FA... neither plans have worked for the last 25 years.

If you can't understand that --- then we will have to agree to disagree.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)

Cutler is 10 maybe 50 times the QB Orton is, talent, ceiling and now. You give him Matt Forte in the backfield and you have a nice playoff contender. Kyle Orton is a good backup, an avg starter at best.

If we get Cutler (or even sniff him for that matter) then there should be no more excuses to not see Earl Bennett on the field. They did play together in college. I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett suddenly becomes a top WR (or our #1 option we've been looking for) in the league. This depends if the Bears organization isn't too stubborn.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Saw on espn scroll that Warner is in SF taking a physical and meeting with Singletary. Stupid move by the Cards. I've made a lot of bad predictions on draft picks, but I think I'm right about Leinart, the guy isn't very good.

How hard can "Throw ball to Fitzgerald" really be?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
How hard can "Throw ball to Fitzgerald" really be?

I dont know, but Leinart hasnt been able to take the job from Warner and has had Fitzgerald and Boldin to throw to in the last 2 years, so it had to be somewhat difficult to do for Leinart