TCF bank sucks.

bmags

So, this past year I've had more "I f'n hate you" moments with TCF than should ever occur. I will answer your natural question that would arise "why don't you leave", well, I kept the TCF account because I go to school in Mo. and it was easier for my parents to be able to put in money. And, I've always worked for the Univ. which has direct deposit, so I just get by with my card down here. Well, there has been some ridiculous overdraft moments in the past, and they are the only bank that does not offer overdraft insurance, lets just say one time I was cutting it close, and didn't know that the gas station charged 1.00 for using a card, I was under by .06, when I checked it a couple days later, they had charged $35 dollars for the over charge, and $70 for the two days it had been under before I realized it. ($105 for six cents, which they refused to take away any portion of)

but that's in the past

Most recent aggravation. (Well, some more back story, my account is connected to an address I can no longer access due to some recent family movings...the person that is there, lets just say, we are not on speaking terms with. When I ran out of checks and needed one for direct deposit, they wouldn't give me a way to change my address without showing up in person. They also wouldn't give me a routing number on official TCF letter heading. It was absurd. So I opened up another account)

BUT MOST RECENT AGGRAVATION. In their astute wisdom, they said my card had been compromised (wouldn't say why, no charges on account I hadn't made), but fine, i'm all for caution. PROBLEM: they didn't call me to tell me they canceled my card. So last night my card got canceled, I was really confused, I have money in my account, some nice lady behind me in line paid for me after much attempts to decline her kindness. But, the ole kabuki with TCF, once again. Sending me a new card (no, you don't understand I don't have access to that address anymore) well you can come to the store and change it (i'm in missouri. Can my father do this) no he's not on the account (so, can I transfer money from my account into a different account?) do you have another tcf account (no) well then no. (so I have no access to my money?) we can send you another card (you are f***ING RETARDED)

Thankfully my father stepped in and is transferring me some money into a WONDERFUL bank, Commerce Bank in Columbia MO, until I can get back home and close out that account.

TCF...#$%*@$%*($*%(@#$%*(@_%*@($%*@$(%* YOU

Oh, another gem, when I went to Europe, I beforehand went to TCF and told them I wanted to inform them I'd be going abroad, so if they saw some suspicious charges in Europe not to worry. The guy stared at me. "Okay." I was informed I should let my bank know before a trip. "Oh, we don't really track your charges so it's no big deal"

Makes me wonder what set the alarms off to compromise my account?

I will never use TCF bank. The Monday after my wedding my wife and I go to TCF bank to drop off the checks from the wedding. We get our reciept and we leave later that day for our honeymoon. When we come back I pull up my balance, and the money oddly from my wedding didn't clear. So I call the bank and they said well they will have to investigate. A day later nothing, I go into the bank and demand to see the bank manager with my receipt in hand. He asks me if I have proof I dropped the money off. I show him the receipt. He asks me, well did you make copies of the checks. This is when I go nuts. Who the hell makes zerox copies of every check when they deposit it. Now I start contacting relatives to see if their check cleared. Sure enough, it was clearing. So I got copies of this and bring it back to said manager and he says well they have located the checks, however there is a 5 thousand dollar difference between the checks and the deposit slip I gave them. I told them, well you realize I gave you cash as well. So to make a long story short, after I involved some federal law enforcement authorities in the mix is when they gave me my money. I quickly closed the account and moved to another bank. Never freakin again.

This kind of stuff happens at all banks/credit unions....

It's mostly a bunch of BS, but some of it is for security reasons and not just bank policy but government policy.

I was a service rep at a place on the CU campus...So basically I got to sit people down at my desk and watch them cry/b****/complain about every charge that got put on their cards. One of my biggest peeves with that place was that the card wouldn't "shut off" when you didn't have enough money to pay for the swipe; this is a tactic that a lot of banks use. It is the "Opt out" method, basically meaning that you have to opt out of what ever agreement you signed for in the first place, the one at this place being that it would allow you to overdraft as a courtesy for not making you look dumb at a cash register. If your debit card is a VISA I believe you can go somewhere on www.verifiedbyvisa.com and make it so your card will not overdraft.

Banks are allowed to change fees at anytime - you are usually notified by a mailing if you will incur any new charges for things like account types and such. Since a lot of people just throw that stuff away they are not aware of a new charge. When I was an FSR they started charging all the students a 4.00 fee every month for the "student account" they signed up for 2 years prior. All I can say is I did not enjoy working there for the next few months. So please if this happens to you don't b**** at a teller or service rep like it is their fault you have charges.

My advice would be to be very alert when it comes to your money. Check balances online EVERYDAY (probably more than once), and record any checks you may have floating out there if you cannot remember or use checks a lot. Available balance is not the same as current balance. Make sure to ask for updated fee schedules so you know what your bank is going to charge you for. If you do want to dispute any charges on your account talk to a bank supervisor or manager....they do not like confrontation, so if you ask for them directly you may get what you want a little bit easier. If you have a substantial account or at least a substantial credit card balance you can always threaten to move your money else ware (granted, this only works if you are an asset to the bank and you are talking to someone that actually cares about the bottom line)...I could go on for days but those are the basics.

And here’s one of my favorite stories that came out of that job:

So a student goes and buys something at best buy for $180 but BB accidentally charges them $1800 for the purchase. They didn't have enough money on the debit card they used so the $1800 was covered by overdraft protection and transferred to the student’s credit card. Smart as they were they noticed that best buy made a mistake. They called best buy and had it resolved, but since they had used their debit card the 1800 was refunded to the checking account and not the credit card. So about a week later they notice they have 1800 dollars in there checking account and decide to go on a 2 week spending spree. So probably about 2 months after this they finally open up (probably the 3rd mailing) a letter explaining that they are 2 months late on there credit card bill and they owe 1800 dollars. This story ends up in my office with this person balling there eyes out about how they can't pay us back and that their dad is going to literally kill them. I had the hardest time not breaking out into laughter and quoting one of my favorite movies UHF "YOU SOOOOO STUPID!!!"

So moral of the story - pay attention - read any mail from your bank - pay attention - if $1800 magically shows up in your checking account you probably shouldn’t spend it - pay attention

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
This kind of stuff happens at all banks/credit unions....

It's mostly a bunch of BS, but some of it is for security reasons and not just bank policy but government policy.

I was a service rep at a place on the CU campus...So basically I got to sit people down at my desk and watch them cry/b****/complain about every charge that got put on their cards. One of my biggest peeves with that place was that the card wouldn't "shut off" when you didn't have enough money to pay for the swipe; this is a tactic that a lot of banks use. It is the "Opt out" method, basically meaning that you have to opt out of what ever agreement you signed for in the first place, the one at this place being that it would allow you to overdraft as a courtesy for not making you look dumb at a cash register. If your debit card is a VISA I believe you can go somewhere on www.verifiedbyvisa.com and make it so your card will not overdraft.

Banks are allowed to change fees at anytime - you are usually notified by a mailing if you will incur any new charges for things like account types and such. Since a lot of people just throw that stuff away they are not aware of a new charge. When I was an FSR they started charging all the students a 4.00 fee every month for the "student account" they signed up for 2 years prior. All I can say is I did not enjoy working there for the next few months. So please if this happens to you don't b**** at a teller or service rep like it is their fault you have charges.

My advice would be to be very alert when it comes to your money. Check balances online EVERYDAY (probably more than once), and record any checks you may have floating out there if you cannot remember or use checks a lot. Available balance is not the same as current balance. Make sure to ask for updated fee schedules so you know what your bank is going to charge you for. If you do want to dispute any charges on your account talk to a bank supervisor or manager....they do not like confrontation, so if you ask for them directly you may get what you want a little bit easier. If you have a substantial account or at least a substantial credit card balance you can always threaten to move your money else ware (granted, this only works if you are an asset to the bank and you are talking to someone that actually cares about the bottom line)...I could go on for days but those are the basics.

And here�s one of my favorite stories that came out of that job:

So a student goes and buys something at best buy for $180 but BB accidentally charges them $1800 for the purchase. They didn't have enough money on the debit card they used so the $1800 was covered by overdraft protection and transferred to the student�s credit card. Smart as they were they noticed that best buy made a mistake. They called best buy and had it resolved, but since they had used their debit card the 1800 was refunded to the checking account and not the credit card. So about a week later they notice they have 1800 dollars in there checking account and decide to go on a 2 week spending spree. So probably about 2 months after this they finally open up (probably the 3rd mailing) a letter explaining that they are 2 months late on there credit card bill and they owe 1800 dollars. This story ends up in my office with this person balling there eyes out about how they can't pay us back and that their dad is going to literally kill them. I had the hardest time not breaking out into laughter and quoting one of my favorite movies UHF "YOU SOOOOO STUPID!!!"

So moral of the story - pay attention - read any mail from your bank - pay attention - if $1800 magically shows up in your checking account you probably shouldn�t spend it - pay attention

I had this fight with my bank too. They actually told me they didn't know how to change it.

none of that really applies to me, but I too used to have a job I hated.

I realize it was my fault for going .06 under, though I think the gas station should be more clear that they put an extra charge for not using cash. But, it makes me more angry that TCF won't give me overdraft insurance, so that they can put it on a credit card, like most of my friends have, and then I'll just pay the interest on that .06, and not have to pay them an absurd amount for such a small f***up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
I had this fight with my bank too. They actually told me they didn't know how to change it.

in reality the person you were talking to probably did not know how to change it. I put up such a stink with my superiors that finally they told me about the verifiedbyvisa.com thing....of course they wouldn't tell me how to do it in the actually bank system, that knowledge was only for card services....

Citibank is awful. I was trying to set up a new account because Chase was only offering .05 interest rate for my savings and I thought that was ridiculous. So Citibank is offering a good rate so I go with them. But, I am down in Urbana, not Chicago, so there is no location here for me to visit, and when they keep asking for proof that I live at my home address in Chicago, I have no way of getting it to them. They keep saying that I need to visit a branch, and I mustve told them 50 times thats I cant just leave campus to visit a location 2 1/2 hours away, and they just said I need to visit a branch. I got so f***ing pissed at them, closed my account, and now Im stuck with The Country's Finest Bank.

TCF by the way has a monopoly on college campuses, atleast in the Midwest. If only they were better...stop offering $50 gas cards and give me better customer service.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
in reality the person you were talking to probably did not know how to change it. I put up such a stink with my superiors that finally they told me about the verifiedbyvisa.com thing....of course they wouldn't tell me how to do it in the actually bank system, that knowledge was only for card services....

It was actually the branch manager. But I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't know, because she didn't know her ass from a hole in the ground anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
So, this past year I've had more "I f'n hate you" moments with TCF than should ever occur. I will answer your natural question that would arise "why don't you leave", well, I kept the TCF account because I go to school in Mo. and it was easier for my parents to be able to put in money. And, I've always worked for the Univ. which has direct deposit, so I just get by with my card down here. Well, there has been some ridiculous overdraft moments in the past, and they are the only bank that does not offer overdraft insurance, lets just say one time I was cutting it close, and didn't know that the gas station charged 1.00 for using a card, I was under by .06, when I checked it a couple days later, they had charged $35 dollars for the over charge, and $70 for the two days it had been under before I realized it. ($105 for six cents, which they refused to take away any portion of)

but that's in the past

Most recent aggravation. (Well, some more back story, my account is connected to an address I can no longer access due to some recent family movings...the person that is there, lets just say, we are not on speaking terms with. When I ran out of checks and needed one for direct deposit, they wouldn't give me a way to change my address without showing up in person. They also wouldn't give me a routing number on official TCF letter heading. It was absurd. So I opened up another account)

BUT MOST RECENT AGGRAVATION. In their astute wisdom, they said my card had been compromised (wouldn't say why, no charges on account I hadn't made), but fine, i'm all for caution. PROBLEM: they didn't call me to tell me they canceled my card. So last night my card got canceled, I was really confused, I have money in my account, some nice lady behind me in line paid for me after much attempts to decline her kindness. But, the ole kabuki with TCF, once again. Sending me a new card (no, you don't understand I don't have access to that address anymore) well you can come to the store and change it (i'm in missouri. Can my father do this) no he's not on the account (so, can I transfer money from my account into a different account?) do you have another tcf account (no) well then no. (so I have no access to my money?) we can send you another card (you are f***ING RETARDED)

Thankfully my father stepped in and is transferring me some money into a WONDERFUL bank, Commerce Bank in Columbia MO, until I can get back home and close out that account.

TCF...#$%*@$%*($*%(@#$%*(@_%*@($%*@$(%* YOU

Well seems to me, the only thing they did wrong(which I would be pissed about as well) is not telling you they were cancelling your compromised card before you were able to obtain a new card. The reason your card was compromised is because you have either a Visa or Mastercard logo on your debit card. It's not a TCF Bank thing, it's a Heartland Card Processing thing. Over 110 Million people were infected from across the nation, and it's not just banks, but credit card companies as well. Heck, I posted this in a thread over a month ago. A lot of companies and banks are just cancelling the card and ordering a new one for the customer without really telling them.

What is not their fault is the Gas Pre-Authorization. You admitted it and Gas Stations don't necessarily charge you $1 if you don't pay in cash. I also posted this in that same thread. Basically the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT allows Gas Companies to place a hold on an amount of cash(depending on how much that particular gas station wants to put; I know Shell does $75) so they could verify information on the card. This also happens with credit cards as well. The reason why most people don't notice it is because it falls off once the actual charge posts to the account which is usually no longer than 2 or 3 days and it doesn't appear on any statements.

The address thing, is also not their fault. A lot of banks make you go into a branch to change your address. Some banks do allow you to fill out a form they mail out and sign it and then process it when they receive it back. TCF is not one of those banks. With that said, it's your responsibility to change your address. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT mandates that the proper address is on file for each one of their customers before they can send out any information on the customer's account. If there is returned mail or if you try to forward mail, it shouldn't last too long, because again, the bank, by law, has to stop sending the mail until you correct the address.

The whole thing with your father not being on the account is true as well. If they allowed him to make changes to your account without appearing on it, then your account would be easily opened to fraud. If there was fraud on your account, I'm pretty sure you won't take responsibility for that. You'll want the bank to do so. Let's put it this way. What if your relationship with your father sours, you don't talk to him anymore, he's a bad guy. Well if they allowed him to do transactions before, why wouldn't they let him afterwards. That means, he could walk into a branch again, say, "I'm so and so's son and I wanna take out money of my son's account to take to him." Bam, he has a bunch of your money and there's nothing you could do about it. Ok, let's say you just want him to be able to pick up a card for you. Again, he has your debit card and pin number. He could charge up your account, you'll dispute it, and with a lot of banks, you'll win the case once they investigate it because you're not on camera using the card, and your transactions usually come from MO during this time of year. The screws the bank out of money, and you can rinse and repeat. The bank has to not only protect the customer, but itself.

For transfers, my bank does the same thing. If you're not transferring from one account to another account at the same bank and you don't appear on both accounts, you can't do the transfer over the phone. Either has to be done via Internet or in the branch.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
Citibank is awful. I was trying to set up a new account because Chase was only offering .05 interest rate for my savings and I thought that was ridiculous. So Citibank is offering a good rate so I go with them. But, I am down in Urbana, not Chicago, so there is no location here for me to visit, and when they keep asking for proof that I live at my home address in Chicago, I have no way of getting it to them. They keep saying that I need to visit a branch, and I mustve told them 50 times thats I cant just leave campus to visit a location 2 1/2 hours away, and they just said I need to visit a branch. I got so f***ing pissed at them, closed my account, and now Im stuck with The Country's Finest Bank.

TCF by the way has a monopoly on college campuses, atleast in the Midwest. If only they were better...stop offering $50 gas cards and give me better customer service.

Again, banks must keep track of all customers. Federal Law.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)

I've really only seen TCF banks in Minneapolis, and a few in the Chicago area.

Bloomington is all Chase pretty much, with your typicaly random smattering of local banks and credit unions.

All banks suck because theres rules they have to follow. You also must remember, banks are a business too. They're not here just to be a safe for your money, they're here to use your money, and provide a service to you at the same time. You're not going to find a really great bank other than small private neighborhood banks, if that. TCF, Citi, Chase, etc. are not going to give you customers what you are looking for.

I think people expect too much.