Oakland Signs Cabrera

chisox2334

QUOTE (R.J. @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
We don't get that #12 pick, right? Pick in the top 15 are protected so we get a sandwich pick and a second rounder I think.

Still very nice.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
The actual source is Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports and Buster Olney.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-c...ns&expire=1

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3946501

It's a 1 year $4M deal.

The Sox will receive Oakland's second round pick (#12 I believe) and a sandwich pick between rounds one and two.

Are we going to get Type A compensation from Dye if he signs elsewhere?

He's been either the most productive rightfielder or outfielder in the American League since he signed here. I forget which. I would think his 3 year average, barring horrible numbers this year, would make him type A. Would this be the case, or am I way off?

JSticks

It depends. Will Jermaine project to be worth $12M next year? If not you don't offer him arbitration, you just let him walk.

Jermaine has been no where near the most productive RF in the AL over the last 3 seasons. He's definitely hit the most HR but I'd say he's been the 5th or 6th most valuable RF depending on where you rank Ichiro and Nick Markakis.

These picks are about best case scenario for Sox. Even if they got pick #16, there was no guarantee the Sox would actually take the best player due to signing bonuses. With 2 picks the Sox have a better shot of actually getting some one who will one day be a MLB player.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
I didnt see this anywhere else, however from Cowley's Twitter:

"cst_sox: Being reported that Orlando Cabrera signed a one-year, $4 million contract with Oakland. Sox get two picks as compensation"

I saw it on ESPN.com as well as cbssports.com

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
33 first round picks

+ 10 type A sandwich picks

+ 5 type B sandwich picks

+ 11 picks ahead of Oakland

= pick #60 overall as of now

Don't hold me to it.

3 picks in the first 60 then? Excellent. Hopefully we save some money in the budget for some prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
3 picks in the first 60 then? Excellent. Hopefully we save some money in the budget for some prospects.

Makes you wonder if that's why they spent hardly anything this offseason. Perhaps they could have fit a few others into the payroll, but wanted to be able to pay a few guys that may fall for slight signability reasons.