Dewayne Wise Named Full-time Starting CF/Leadoff hitter

Kalapse

In case you didn't read the back end of the pinned "roster move" thread; Dewayne Wise has been named the starting CF and leadoff man by Ozzie. Let the White Sox optimism commence!

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-white-sox.html

Wise on leadoff spot for White Sox

By Mark Gonzales

TEMPE, Ariz. - Dewayne Wise said he was informed Monday by manager Ozzie Guillen that he would be the White Sox's leadoff man during a pregame workout.

"He said, 'congratulations' and told me he was going to put me at the leadoff spot and see what happens," Wise said. "He told me he was proud of me for the way I played this spring and best of luck to me.

"I'm pretty sure if I swing the bat well and do the little things, I'll probably stay there. If not, he might go with (Chris Getz) or somebody like that."

Then from Cowley's twitter:

Wise has officially been named the CF and leadoff hitter by Guillen and Cora. It is not a platoon situation with BA for now.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C: Average to below average defensively

1B: Average to below average

2B: Likely average

3B: Probably below average with the potential to be WELL below average

SS: Who the f*** knows? Could be well below average, could be well above. My guess: below average

LF: Below average

CF: Below average

RF: Well below average

HUZZAH! Luckily we have a high strikeout staff. What? We traded away the only real strikeout pitcher we had? f***.

Wise put up a season in 2008 very similar to the one he put up in 2004 when he was 26. It gets him a starting job now and a shot at leading off. When he did it when he was 26, he spent the entire next season in the minor leagues. Good for him. Bad for us.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
C: Average to below average defensively

1B: Average to below average

2B: Likely average

3B: Probably below average with the potential to be WELL below average

SS: Who the f***ing knows? Could be well below average, could be well above. My guess: below average

LF: Below average

CF: Below average

RF: Well below average

HUZZAH! Luckily we have a high strikeout staff. What? We traded away the only real strikeout pitcher we had? f***.

Defense will be a weakness. But, I think you overdoomed them a bit here. I think Fields can be an average 3B this year, and better in future years maybe. CF will be above average when Anderson takes over, which I am convinced he will. And I wouldn't call Dye "well below" average, but, thats just my opinion. I also have a feeling that Getz will be pretty good.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Defense will be a weakness. But, I think you overdoomed them a bit here. I think Fields can be an average 3B this year, and better in future years maybe. CF will be above average when Anderson takes over, which I am convinced he will. And I wouldn't call Dye "well below" average, but, thats just my opinion. I also have a feeling that Getz will be pretty good.

There's a reason why every defensive metric has Dye as the worst defensive RF in the game over the last 3 seasons and he's only getting slower. I also think he has one of the least threatening outfield arms in the game for a non-speedster. I'm cautiously optimistic about Josh's defense but I can't in conscience project him to be anything but below average this year.

We're probably going to have a bottom 3 defense in the AL this year.

Ozzie needs to give up on forcing low-OBP-but-potential-base-stealer players into the leadoff role. If you can't get on base, your speed isn't going to be worth crap. Put BA in CF and bat him 9th. At least BA can do SOMETHING really well.

Rotoworlds take

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, DeWayne Wise was told he'd be the leadoff hitter everyday center fielder over Brian Anderson for the White Sox.

Not that it's any big secret, but this just reiterates how fond Ozzie Guillen is of Wise and how much he dislikes Anderson. Anderson has been about as productive as Wise this spring, is the better defensive center fielder and is a right-handed hitter, while Wise bats lefty. At the very least, it should be a true platoon, with Anderson starting against lefties. Anyway, it seems pretty unlikely that Wise, who has an astoundingly awful .254 OBP in 468 at-bats as a major leaguer, will last as a regular leadoff hitter. He's a barely adequate fifth outfielde

Kenny Williams just 2 weeks ago:

"A lot of people get too hung up with stolen base totals," Williams said. "One of the reasons I got [scott Podsednik] was to steal bases, but he also came with an on-base percentage of about .350.

"The goal is to get to second base to get in scoring position. So a leadoff hitter who will hit you 30 doubles and then steal you, instead of 40 bases, maybe 15 [is fine]."

Williams said he is more concerned with his leadoff hitter setting a "tone of the game" by having intelligent at-bats and seeing a lot of pitches.

"So while it may not look as pretty on paper as team X, we can get your starting pitcher out a lot of times an inning before you want to have him leave," he said.

In what f***ing world does this describe Dewayne Wise? He of the .254 career major league OBP, .309 career minor league OBP, low minor league doubles total and well below average pitches per plate appearance numbers.

That's some two faced bulls*** right there.

I'd feel much better about this situation if KW came out and told the media, "We talked to Atlanta, but they wanted Poreda." That won't happen, and actually I doubt Kenny ever had serious discussions. Kenny's quote will be something like, "There was nothing out there that we felt was better than what we have in house." WTF?! And then he'll say, "We feel we've got a guy in Dewayne Wise who can be just as good as anyone else in the league."