Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
What do you mean "not really". Wes Welker is a perfect example of a freak injury that could happen to anyone regardless if he is touched or not(And now Brady has 3 broken ribs), proving that sometimes safety on the side of caution works. The Patriots werent playing for any more seeding. they clinched their division and had no shot at a higher seed.

It doesn't show the Colts were smart because the Colts always let their starters play a series or two. I think everyone does, unless the player is actually injured going into the game. What happened to Welker was unfortunate but not inconsistent with what other teams -- including the Colts -- do. This particular injury is not in any way, shape or form vindication for Indianapolis' decision about 16-0. They're entirely separate issues.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lolhitting

According to the Comcast post game show, the hot dog vendors little sidekick Jiggets thinks that we should bring back Turner because it was the QB and not the play calling that cost the season. Turner did a bang up job according to Jiggets. The defense and everything has been fine. Its only the QBs fault. If we only had a Kyle Orton according to the hot dog vendor and his sidekick we would be on the way to the playoffs. Jim Miller of course thinks that bringing back Turner is a wonderful idea and if anything only Pep Hamilton should be gone. Everything should be the same as this year. Just add a safety and poof fixed.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)

According to the Comcast post game show, the hot dog vendors little sidekick Jiggets thinks that we should bring back Turner because it was the QB and not the play calling that cost the season. Turner did a bang up job according to Jiggets. The defense and everything has been fine. Its only the QBs fault. If we only had a Kyle Orton according to the hot dog vendor and his sidekick we would be on the way to the playoffs. Jim Miller of course thinks that bringing back Turner is a wonderful idea and if anything only Pep Hamilton should be gone. Everything should be the same as this year. Just add a safety and poof fixed.

Yeah that worked out for Denver, what with their vastly superior defense and offense.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)

Jiggs used to be a very good analyst. I can't blame his I.Q. dropping working with Mike North most of the time.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
It doesn't show the Colts were smart because the Colts always let their starters play a series or two. I think everyone does, unless the player is actually injured going into the game. What happened to Welker was unfortunate but not inconsistent with what other teams -- including the Colts -- do. This particular injury is not in any way, shape or form vindication for Indianapolis' decision about 16-0. They're entirely separate issues.

Sure Greg.

There are 3 players that have stood out to me these last few Bears games that probably should show why management is completely retarded since they werent added until late in the season. Bell, Shaw and Aromashodu. Tim Shaw is everywhere, why hasnt this guy stuck somewhere?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 07:50 AM)
There are 3 players that have stood out to me these last few Bears games that probably should show why management is completely retarded since they werent added until late in the season. Bell, Shaw and Aromashodu. Tim Shaw is everywhere, why hasnt this guy stuck somewhere?

Don't know the other 2, but Aromashodu appears to be a classic NFL case; guy with some physical skills and talent who bounces around to a number of teams, getting exposed to playbooks and learning a few teams at each stop, deals with an injury or two, and finally finds a situation where things start to click. He's been hurt for part of the year I'm told, and it's entirely possible that he may just not have been ready until the last few games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
Don't know the other 2, but Aromashodu appears to be a classic NFL case; guy with some physical skills and talent who bounces around to a number of teams, getting exposed to playbooks and learning a few teams at each stop, deals with an injury or two, and finally finds a situation where things start to click. He's been hurt for part of the year I'm told, and it's entirely possible that he may just not have been ready until the last few games.

I think he was healthy for more games than he's played. The fact that we've heard from several sources now that Cutler has been lobbying for him to play more seems to indicate that he was available, but was not being utilized.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
I think he was healthy for more games than he's played. The fact that we've heard from several sources now that Cutler has been lobbying for him to play more seems to indicate that he was available, but was not being utilized.

There's always one other issue...who is to say that if he'd played earlier, he might not have known the system/routes as well and might have struggled more. We hear a lot about the Bears's staff and their inability to develop young talent at the skill positions, now we see a guy who appears to be developing before our eyes and we're still not satisfied.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
There's always one other issue...who is to say that if he'd played earlier, he might not have known the system/routes as well and might have struggled more. We hear a lot about the Bears's staff and their inability to develop young talent at the skill positions, now we see a guy who appears to be developing before our eyes and we're still not satisfied.

He showed the same sort of potential in the preseason, if I recall correctly, which is why I think Cutler thought he would be a valuable weapon. I know he fought some injuries and that held him back a bit, but I think he was available much earlier than when injuries forced him into action...

O-coordinator Turner likely to be dismissed; Lovie will return

Coach Lovie Smith will return, but probably not as the defensive play-caller. The team likely will bring in a defensive coordinator, perhaps somebody Smith has worked with in the past. The Buffalo Bills' Perry Fewell seems like an obvious choice given that he's soon to be seeking work and has a history with Smith.

Offensive coordinator Ron Turner is out. Turner was set up as the fall guy before the season began, and he remains in that role. There are plenty of coaches interested in this job, mostly because it's a chance to run half a team. The Bears' offensive coordinator controls his own fiefdom without much interference from Smith. Quarterback Jay Cutler offers the possibility of immediate success, and the job could be a launching pad, perhaps even into Smith's job under the right circumstances.

That's why former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz might be the right fit. Smith and Martz are friends who've enjoyed a successful working relationship in the past.

If Turner is out, then quarterbacks coach Pep Hamilton has no chance. Offensive line coach Harry Hiestand also might leave, although he has a year left on his contract.

While the article is written as speculation, Mulligan said on the Score today that those names didnt come out of the air. he talked to a bunch of people inside the organization.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
O-coordinator Turner likely to be dismissed; Lovie will return

While the article is written as speculation, Mulligan said on the Score today that those names didnt come out of the air. he talked to a bunch of people inside the organization.

That's probably the right way to do it

Looking at the AFC, I think the Colts & Chargers will have some serious rooting interests in the Ravens/Pats game. Playing the winner of Jets/Bengals sounds much more appealing than facing either the Ravens (Colts) or the Patriots (Chargers). My early pick now is the Chargers to make it out of the AFC, look like the best team and have been playing the best football.

The NFC looks tough, I can see almost any team making it out of there. As much as the Vikings have struggled, they have been unstoppable at home in the dome, and think they will take it, especially if Dallas or someone can knock off NO in the second round.

Chargers/Vikings super bowl, I think the Chargers win that game, the Bolts finally get their Super Bowl!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
Looking at the AFC, I think the Colts & Chargers will have some serious rooting interests in the Ravens/Pats game. Playing the winner of Jets/Bengals sounds much more appealing than facing either the Ravens (Colts) or the Patriots (Chargers).

On the other hand, the Patriots with no Welker and with Brady having a broken rib and an injury to his hand might not be as frightening.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
That's probably the right way to do it

I could live with that.

As much as I would love to see Shanahan reunited with Cutler, it appears it's just going to cost too much money to fire Lovie and bring in a top-notch head coach this season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
Looking at the AFC, I think the Colts & Chargers will have some serious rooting interests in the Ravens/Pats game. Playing the winner of Jets/Bengals sounds much more appealing than facing either the Ravens (Colts) or the Patriots (Chargers). My early pick now is the Chargers to make it out of the AFC, look like the best team and have been playing the best football.

The NFC looks tough, I can see almost any team making it out of there. As much as the Vikings have struggled, they have been unstoppable at home in the dome, and think they will take it, especially if Dallas or someone can knock off NO in the second round.

Chargers/Vikings super bowl, I think the Chargers win that game, the Bolts finally get their Super Bowl!

I think the Saints are going to be pretty tough to beat at home as well, and I think it'll be awfully tough for Dallas to go into NO and beat them there again.

I like Indy/NO

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
I could live with that.

As much as I would love to see Shanahan reunited with Cutler, it appears it's just going to cost too much money to fire Lovie and bring in a top-notch head coach this season.

And I'm not sure right now is the time you want to commit to a coach or guarantee Lovie his remaining salary anyway...with the 2011 labor dispute still looming.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
It's way too easy to predict a super bowl involving either the 1/2 seed from each conference. How often does that actually happen?

Well, I'm sorry, but that's who I like to go.

I'm certainly not suggesting you go out and bet on those teams.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
Well, I'm sorry, but that's who I like to go.

I'm certainly not suggesting you go out and bet on those teams.

Not saying you're wrong. I just think that you look at the history, and usually you get 1 top 2 team and 1 more surprising team in there.

Should be an exciting first round of the NFL playoffs.

I like the Jets over the Bengals again, Cincy has just looked awful for the past four weeks now. This game should stay relatively close because Sanchez is mistake-prone. But that defense is going to lock down the Bengals offense again imo, Palmer needs to step up.

The Cowboys Eagles should be a battle, I can't see Dallas beating Philadelphia for a third time so I'm taking Philly. I think I'll be wrong though because Dallas is playing well as of late. Philly needs to get some sort of a running game going and be the first to score.

I'm most looking forward to Sunday's games, they should be the closest imo.

I have no idea who will win the Patriots and Ravens bout. I'm taking Baltimore solely because of the Welker injury. Baltimore imo is the best of the 4 AFC teams playing in the first round and their offense is clicking at the right time.

Packers vs. Cardinals, obviously I'm taking Green Bay because of bias. I do think they should win, they have been playing just as good of football as anyone of late but I am worried that Green Bay comes in over confident after the Wk 17 blowout.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
Not saying you're wrong. I just think that you look at the history, and usually you get 1 top 2 team and 1 more surprising team in there.

Yeah, I know that.

But I'm not going to change my opinion just because historically, this doesn't happen often.