Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
Problem is that it is funded by the park district, which would never front the money for field turf.

The PD spent $500k resodding the field this year, although I think the first re-sod was on U2. So they spend at least $250k resodding each year and many years double that, plus maintenance. Field Turf would pay for itself pretty quickly. Iowa installed Field Turf this past spring. It cost $2 million. A lot of that cost was a new drainage system. I don't know what Soldier Field would require, but maintenance alone, not including the re-sodding is probably six figures annually.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 7, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
If I was a Bears WR, I'd get the entire recieving corp together and have everyone chip in enough to cover the $750,000.

750k is like $1,000 for normal people.

Maybe for the Patriots receiving core. If you (or someone else) can show the math that shows that Hester, Bennett, Knox, Iglesias, Olsen, Clark, Davis, Aromashodu, and any others that played can donate enough to make up for that amount, I would appreciate it. Until then, I would assume it's coming straight out of Jay Cutler's signing bonus.

From the Ugly Design Files:

Miami's Ugly Attempt At Keeping the Super Bowl

You may have thought the Dolphins' home stadium had hit bottom with its "Land Shark" moniker, but now another bizarre retrofitting is in the works.

With NFL officials warning that Miami is about to be on the "Do Not Host Super Bowl" list, stadium officials are suggesting a 621,000 square-foot roof be attached on top of the stadium.

The immediate online responses to the roof ("mind numbing ugly," "could scare away a hurricane") have been brutal. Thankfully, the proposed changes inside are getting much better reviews:

The good new
s
for football fan
s
at both level
s
i
s
that
s
eating i
s
being brought in clo
s
er to the
s
ideline
s
. The gap between the bleacher
s
and the field wa
s
alway
s
a gridiron drawbac
k
, and it'
s
corrected
s
omewhat with the late
s
t revi
s
ioning. Plu
s
tho
s
e upgraded video
s
creen
s
loo
k
s
awful
s
weet.

The roof would cover all the seats in the stadium, while at the same time allowing the sun and rain to come down on the field.

So while spectators would be spared the rain, which plagued the last Super Bowl here, the field and game play would be subject to the elements.

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee made it clear Thursday the renovations are not about the loyal Dolfans who faithfully come to the games during the regular season. This is all about the Super Bowl.

"This is not about the Dolphins or the stadium," Dee said. "It's about economic development. It's about being able to compete for events on a national and international level."

The next question is who is going to pay for all these renovations, which could escalate to close to $300 million.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
My guess is that Carroll may be thinking that with Bush and now Mcknight that sanctions and a real investigation arent far behind.

Best time to get out is before an investigation.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Also, they have been so dominant, he has nowhere to go but down. Its not easy to repeat 7 straight BCS bowl trips. Their fans aren't as crazy and demanding as some other top programs, but its easy to start getting used to being that good

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
Thats what I was thinking as well. Also, they have been so dominant, he has nowhere to go but down. Its not easy to repeat 7 straight BCS bowl trips. Their fans aren't as crazy and demanding as some other top programs, but its easy to start getting used to being that good

Jim tressel isn't going anyewhere.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
What does this move have to do with Bates. Carol doesn't even like Bates.

I answered that JPN:

Mortensen reports that Carroll could accept the job early next week and is trying to convince Bates to join him with the Seahawks.

Makes no sense. We read the Tribune reports and they all say Carrol would be perfectly fine if Bates left, yet he's now trying to have him come to Seattle. WTF.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
I answered that JPN:

Makes no sense. We read the Tribune reports and they all say Carrol would be perfectly fine if Bates left, yet he's now trying to have him come to Seattle. WTF.

Carrol might think Bates is much more important to him in Seattle than he would have been at USC.