Beckham's AA debut

scenario

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
Could we be a few cold weeks away from seeing him?

I doubt we'll see him this year unless:

- he continues to tear it up for at least 1/2 a season

- and/or injuries at the major league level create a need

We're seeing Beckham, that means Ramirez or Getz are going to be benched and/or Ramirez is moving to CF.

Moving Ramirez when he seems to be really getting comfortable out there just seems to be a mistake...and the temptation is so strong if Anderson (and I know we can't base anything on one PHing appearance) and Wise continue to flail around at the dish.

Realistically, they need to give BA a good 6-8 weeks of everyday at-bats in CF before they make that move. Otherwise, the only thing I see happening is Getz really struggling at leadoff and trying too hard (just like Wise) and getting out of his normal game in order to be something he might not be. Hopefully, he won't be trying to steal a ton of bases either, just because he is leading off, because I can't imagine his success ratio would be much higher than 65-70%.

Well, soxtalk nation will be clamouring for him for now until the proverbial cows come home... we have scored 1 run in 18 innings, but if Beckham was here, we'd score 20 runs!!!!#@$!#!!!!

Oh what a joy this board's gonna be for a while.

Beckham's totals from his Barons debut: 4-for-6 with a double, a bunt single, three runs scored and that final RBI.

"Put it somewhere where they weren't," he said of his approach in the final frame. "I was trying to stay easy. I wasn't trying to hit a home run or anything. Really just stay on that ball cause it was a 2-0 changeup and I didn't pull off. That's good hitting. It worked out."

Another player making his first appearance in a Barons uniform made his heroics possible.

Second baseman C.J. Retherford, batting last in the lineup, homered with two outs in the ninth to tie the game. The 5-foot-10, 185-pounder cranked a 2-2 fastball from Lookouts reliever Brent Leach over the left center field wall to tie the game at 4-4.

Birmingham had trailed the whole game until that point.

Barons reliever Derek Rodriguez, who struck out Lookouts catcher Lucas May with two outs in the top in the 11th, got the win.

Other much-anticipated debuts for Birmingham:

>> Third baseman Dayan Viciedo, who last played in the Cuban League from 2005-07, posted a 1-for-5 night with an RBI single and three strikeouts. The 20-year-old, ranked second among all prospects in the organization, hit sixth in the lineup.

>> Catcher Tyler Flowers, batting third, went 1-for-4 with an RBI double. The No. 4 prospect in the organization, the 23-year-old was involved in the trade that sent Javier Vazquez to the Atlanta Braves during the offseason.

But it was Beckham who attracted the most attention.

Batting second in the order, he looked eager to impress in his 15th professional game.

Several pitches before he pulled a double down the left-field line in the third for his first hit, the 22-year-old University of Georgia product swung and missed so hard he fell to one knee.

In his next two at-bats he singled to left in the fifth and led off the eighth with a bunt single.

"It's always nice to start the season in a good way," Beckham said. "It worked out today, but it's a grind. We still got, what, 130 games left?"

from bhamnews.com

Mr. Beckham is never lacking in confidence, is he? Nice to see. If he keeps this up, he will have a "montage" (too) when he arrives in Chicago.

Kind of feel like Frank Thomas got a little short-changed, but the ovation from the crowd that day was genuine and not forced.

Cubs fans are already creaming their pants waiting to welcome back Wood and DeRosa this summer.

Edited by caulfield12

Beckham, 2/4 tonight, two singles....6/10 on the season so far

Viciedo with a single and 2 runs scored 2/9=.222

Stefan Gartrell and Gordon Beckham led the Birmingham Barons to a 4-2 win over Chattanooga at Regions Park in front of 2,578 fans Friday night. The Barons improved to 2-0.

Gartrell went 2-for-3 with a home run and an RBI double as the Barons improved to 2-0 on the season.

The right fielder's two-run shot in the second tied the game at 2-2. His double in the sixth added an insurance run.

Beckham, a shortstop, followed his 4-for-6, game-winning-hit debut with a 2-for-4 night with another game-winner performance in a brisk 2-hour, 11-minute second outing.

The 2008 eighth-overall draft pick poked an opposite-field single to right with one out in the fifth to score C.J. Retherford and give Birmingham a 3-2 lead.

Kyle McCulloch (1-0) allowed two runs in six innings for the win. Derek Rodriguez earned his first save of the season.

Chattanooga's Scott Elbert (0-1) suffered the loss.

www.al.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
I'm sure a lot of our big leaguers could go 4-5 in AA.

It's not really that; it's that the major league team does not have any high average hitters. The "core" basically gives you averages between .260 and .290, but there is nobody that can be counted on to consistently bat over .300. It's another of the ways the team is unbalanced.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
It's not really that; it's that the major league team does not have any high average hitters. The "core" basically gives you averages between .260 and .290, but there is nobody that can be counted on to consistently bat over .300. It's another of the ways the team is unbalanced.

for f***s sake, a matter of like 6 hits takes you from .290 to .300, given 600 at bats. And besides that, Quentin is a high average hitter, Dye's a high average hitter, Konerko's a high average hitter, Pierzynski's a high average hitter, Ramirez is a high average hitter, and Getz hit .300 in 3 of the 4 years he played in the minors. The Sox have plenty of "high average guys" and anybody b****ing otherwise needs to STFU. They have a good offense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 06:57 AM)
for f***s sake, a matter of like 6 hits takes you from .290 to .300, given 600 at bats. And besides that, Quentin is a high average hitter, Dye's a high average hitter, Konerko's a high average hitter, Pierzynski's a high average hitter, Ramirez is a high average hitter, and Getz hit .300 in 3 of the 4 years he played in the minors. The Sox have plenty of "high average guys" and anybody b****ing otherwise needs to STFU. They have a good offense.

I never said it was a bad offense. I said that they don't have guys who will consistently hit over .300. Who on the current roster has ever hit consistently over .300 in their major league career? Nobody. The point is that when people complain that "how come nobody goes 4 for 5 on the major league team" it is because we don't have the kind of hitters that will do that. It doesn't mean nobody will ever do it nor that they are bad hitters.

Frankly, I'm also tired of people b****ing about the offense. We, as fans, should know exactly what kind of offense we are getting. It is based on power, not guys hitting 4 for 5 every night. However, adding a guy or two like that would certainly bring some balance to the team just as adding OBP at the top would/has (if Getz keeps playing well).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
How come our big leaguers never have a line like Beckham's in the box score? We could use a 4-for-5 from somebody once in a while.

I hope quentin's and konerko's lines thus far meet your standards.