Glenn Beck

Reddy

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
9-11 conspiracy theorists did not host a prime time show on a major cable network.

Wasn't Rachel Maddow pretty "out there" on Air America with some of her views? I like Maddow and I think she's pretty sharp, but just saying.

I never thought Beck was that bad FWIW. I used to read his commentaries when he was on CNN and he made a lot of sense. Every now and then he'd go way over the top though but you kind of knew it was coming when he did.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
So does this mean you dislike msnbc as well?

I really don't, but I do watch Morning Joe (Scarborough is a Republican btw) and I admit I watch Olbermann sometimes just because he makes me laugh.

There is no "fair an balanced" news anymore, not on NBC, FOX, CNN, or anywhere else. All you have is, "news spun the way we like it", whether that be politically fueled, financially fueled, or otherwise. What it takes is a degree if intelligence and understanding to listen to the reports and make your own decision after you take the time to gather the facts, or what facts you can find/trust.

Glenn Beck is no doubt a sensationalist, as are many in the news, like Olbermann, Maddow, etc. All sensationalists. At least these people call themselves commentators. The regular news is really no different, depending on the network, depending on the newscaster/journalist, it will also contain spin. However, all of them have points, both good and bad, but to just take everything at face value doesn't make them the idiots, it makes the person that took what they said as gospel the idiot.

Now I'm not saying this to anyone in specific on this site, but just in general...you have a brain, try using it. Come to your own conclusion, whether it be the popular one to have or not...and stick with it. So long as it's not criminal, it doesn't make you wrong even if others disagree with it.

Edited by Y2HH

From everything I have seen, I'd say O'Reilly is probably the most centric of all the prime time "news" shows. Some might disagree with me, but O'Reilly is pretty much in the middle, IMO. He is socially conservative, but most of his other views are usually somewhere in the middle. In fact, most conservatives really dislike O'Reilly.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
From everything I have seen, I'd say O'Reilly is probably the most centric of all the prime time "news" shows. Some might disagree with me, but O'Reilly is pretty much in the middle, IMO. He is socially conservative, but most of his other views are usually somewhere in the middle. In fact, most conservatives really dislike O'Reilly.

He defiantly leans to the republican side, but he does scold them, too. I've seen him defend/praise Obama on a number occasions while other right leaning commentators do nothing but rip into him. I've never seen a liberal commentator praise Bush in the least. So of them all, I do find O'Reilly the most watchable simply because he has shown the ability to call his own party out. Most people form bad opinions of him because they watch a few two minute clips of him where he said something negative, or the two minute clip takes what he was saying completely out of context. I like O'Reilly myself, but at times I disagree with him, too. Anyone that agrees with a commentator like Maddow, Olbermann or O'Reilly 100% (or hell, even 90%) of the time is a huge f***ing douchebag no matter which way you cut it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)

I think the thing with O'Reilly is that his reputation really precedes him. He's pretty loud and opinionated and he's definitely conservative, but he's not really that bad at all. I'd take him over someone like Hannity 10 times out of 10.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
I think the thing with O'Reilly is that his reputation really precedes him. He's pretty loud and opinionated and he's definitely conservative, but he's not really that bad at all. I'd take him over someone like Hannity 10 times out of 10.

completely agree.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)

I'd agree with that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Wasn't Rachel Maddow pretty "out there" on Air America with some of her views? I like Maddow and I think she's pretty sharp, but just saying

I think you may be confusing Rachel Maddow with Randi Rhodes, who's a lot more vehement. Maddow comes at things strongly from the left (i.e. no one else out there has actually questioned whether sending more troops to Afghanistan is the right move), but Rhodes was the firebrand.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
I think you may be confusing Rachel Maddow with Randi Rhodes, who's a lot more vehement. Maddow comes at things strongly from the left (i.e. no one else out there has actually questioned whether sending more troops to Afghanistan is the right move), but Rhodes was the firebrand.

You're probably right.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
Glenn Beck is a loon. He was "tame" before heading to Fox. Now Fox is letting him run wild because they know it appeals directly at their base and he's gone completly ape crazy.

Yep. When he first started at Fox he was tame and really wasn't anything interesting to watch. Slowly he evolved into a raging maniac. Suddenly everyone takes notice. I've recently seen him discussed on CNN, MSNBC, here, and I'm sure plenty of other places have discussed his recent actions. His crying about how much he loves his country has received a lot of attention.

Reality is that it's all a ploy. Everyone here knows it.

Just watched a little bit of his show. progressive facists is the subject.

the original American progressive facist, drumroll please........

Teddy Roosevelt.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
for the 18th time i'm not a pro-Obama guy. see my thread about wiretapping.

but at a basic level, i'm not fan of talking heads either. Olberman can be funny and have some good points, but i keep waiting for a vein in his neck to burst when he gets all worked up. I don't dig that. BUT the difference is that inciting liberals is not really dangerous... because we're already anti-gun. lol. inciting gun-toting republicans who are "terrified" of Obama becomes dangerous as we saw with the recent shootings... that's kind of the crux of my criticism.

So only people with guns are dangerous? How come at every so called peace prootest, by livberals, there is always violence. How come when right to lifers hold a protest march, pro l;ifers are always assaulting them with objects and threatening violence again stem? And trust me, liberals aren't anti-gun, they are anti-you-having-a-gun. They like them just fine in their own hands, or those of their body guards. Daley doesnt thinnk the average Chicagoan needs a gun for protection, maybe because he is always surrounded by guy who have guns. There have been several columnists who have been anti0-gun who have been found to have had guns, and even used them in self defense. The left just oozes violence, so I have no idea how you can say that conservatives by nature are more dangerous.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
Wasn't Rachel Maddow pretty "out there" on Air America with some of her views? I like Maddow and I think she's pretty sharp, but just saying.

I never thought Beck was that bad FWIW. I used to read his commentaries when he was on CNN and he made a lot of sense. Every now and then he'd go way over the top though but you kind of knew it was coming when he did.

I listened to Maddow on a semi-regular basis when she was on AAR. I never really found her to be anything close to "out there." She was one of the milder, saner voices on that net actually.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)

Totally agree. I am pretty conservative and a pretty staunch Republican, but Hannity makes my skin crawl most of the time.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
I listened to Maddow on a semi-regular basis when she was on AAR. I never really found her to be anything close to "out there." She was one of the milder, saner voices on that net actually.

She's a biased liberal, who may be mild mannered but I wouldn't call her views "sane", some of her views, perhaps, but not all. No matter what the topic is she takes the liberal side of the debate, and anyone who always agrees with one side (no matter which side that may be) is a brainless hack that can no longer see the forest for the trees.

Edited by Y2HH

I love reading these threads. People luuuuuv to comment on media by taking their small sample size of experience (usually linked to) form their opinion doused in hostile media effect, and scream their opinions. That's the scary thing about modern political commentators, they are but the smallest step above average message board user, but they are getting paid to do their job. It terrifies me to think that someone might be lurking on soxtalk recruiting bearsox with a radio show, and frankly, he wouldn't seem all that out of place.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
I love reading these threads. People luuuuuv to comment on media by taking their small sample size of experience (usually linked to) form their opinion doused in hostile media effect, and scream their opinions. That's the scary thing about modern political commentators, they are but the smallest step above average message board user, but they are getting paid to do their job. It terrifies me to think that someone might be lurking on soxtalk recruiting bearsox with a radio show, and frankly, he wouldn't seem all that out of place.

Ah, one could only hope...

Hell, I have had plans to create a website/blog in the future where I voice my opinions on sports and politics. Maybe one day when that site is created, I will get a link on drudge report for some reason, massively increase the amount of traffic on my website, have either Fox or the guys who run 560 the wind notice me, offer me a job as an analyst, and go from there!

Likely will never happen, but one could only hope... and thanks to Barack Obama, I have realized that I can hope!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Ah, one could only hope...

Hell, I have had plans to create a website/blog in the future where I voice my opinions on sports and politics. Maybe one day when that site is created, I will get a link on drudge report for some reason, massively increase the amount of traffic on my website, have either Fox or the guys who run 560 the wind notice me, offer me a job as an analyst, and go from there!

Likely will never happen, but one could only hope... and thanks to Barack Obama, I have realized that I can hope!!!!!!!!

Be sure to invite me on regularly so we can yell at each other