Sox at Tigers April 15th game thread 12:05 scheduled first pitch

I just hate how Ozzie seems determined to have a fast player leadoff, no matter how awful they are. If Carl Lewis was on the Sox for a game, he'd leadoff. Betemit desperately needs more playing time against RHP...or else the Swisher trade looks even worse.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
Thats what im saying. It doesn't make sense that I'm so angry. I think I just can't stand watching BA play. Jose has actually been really encouraging.

The Wise injury hurt. He's not good, but he was the best we had in the organization in CF. His swing was coming around, and you could tell he was more comfortable lower in the lineup.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
I just hate how Ozzie seems determined to have a fast player leadoff, no matter how awful they are. If Carl Lewis was on the Sox for a game, he'd leadoff. Betemit desperately needs more playing time against RHP...or else the Swisher trade looks even worse.

Well to be fair to Ozzie this year, his chocies are limited. Our CF options all suck, and we're terrible at 2B with Getz gone (and he hasn't proven anything either). Other than that, who can we hit leadoff, Fields? Ramirez? Yeah, not good. This is much more on KW in my opinion.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
can someone explain to me why rich harden is so hard to hit? he throws a fastball straight as an arrow ....occasionally hes upper 90s, but most of the time hes 92-94.....he gets so many swings and misses on it, its unbelievable

When he throws the fastball, he is able to spin the ball in different directions by the way he grips the ball.

Makes it seem like 3 different pitches with the same motion... very hard for hitters to pick up.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
Well to be fair to Ozzie this year, his chocies are limited. Our CF options all suck, and we're terrible at 2B with Getz gone (and he hasn't proven anything either). Other than that, who can we hit leadoff, Fields? Ramirez? Yeah, not good. This is much more on KW in my opinion.

Yeah, it's more a philosophy of Ozzie's I disagree with than a huge complaint. The more I analyze things, the more I think I wouldn't mind Pierre in CF if he's going to play this style.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)

But Betemit was our "hedge" against Fields failing in ST and Option B.

He's fine at 1B and 3B, but we can't play him at SS or 2B. Although I wouldn't be shocked to see him at SS in the Rays' series because of the way Ramirez has ben hitting since Game 1.

Essentially, Betemit is superfluous on this team. And Josh Fields, you pretty much have to play him everyday at this point in his career to see how well he can do against both RH and LH pitching.

Well, now the entire game is completely falling apart.

And we can't project Viciedo down there at 3B with the rate he's making errors in Birmingham, even if Josh completely went in the tank.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
It's like no one on this board notices Wise and Owens can't hit, either... until we find a "legit" CF/leadoff hitter BA should be out there, period.

Oh, typical. Jose pitches pretty wlel all game and as usual we miss offensive opportunities. That's what we get for scoring 10 the other day, I suppose.

The one issue I have is BA supporters say all he needs is consistent at-bats.

Who's to say Wise also couldnt use consistent at-bats and make improvement? Some guys figure something out about hitting at 30. He hasnt had the regular at-bats at the major league level that Brian did.

Granted, Wise didnt rake in the minors and never deserved it. But if he did something in the clutch last year for a playoff team, why not an extended look. I only say this b/c the options are so dim. Unfortunately now we wont know.

But I just dont get how people will complain about lack of consistent at-bats for their own guy, as if he's the only one who could ever improve that way.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)

Lillibridge leading off is a bad decision no matter what the rest of the line-up looks like. He couldn't get on base in AAA.

I'm quite convinced the White Sox still believe they received a little more than they actually got with his acquisition. He's not a major league quality hitter, and definitely not a lead off guy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
As you guys were talking about Harden, he gave up a 2-run single to Jason Marquis.

haha i know that was beautiful....if jason marquis manages to somehow shut down the cubs, it would help take a little of the sting of this game away

We were due for this type of game.

Against their best pitcher, with three helpless RH hitters in the line-up right now...and the momentum gone with the rainout.

Not the best way to get into the hornet's nest down in TB.

Josh Anderson with 4 hits against us in this series...and looking like another LH in our line-up with Pods' speed from 2005 wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
His .280 career avg. would indicate he does more than homer and walk.

I was more or less referring to the Thome on the Sox, who isn't as good as he once was. Thomas turned into a similar player later in his career as well.