rangercal

139 members have voted

1. 1. Carlos Quentin

• Is Awesome

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks Q hasn't been super-duper this year? I know he has been awesome with the homers, but he is hitting .167 with 0 HRs and 2 RBIs with runner's in scoring position. He needs to improve that to be a god to me.

He batted .125 in the opening series. I'm sure that has a little to do with it. I think you should worry more about players like Lexi.

Is anybody else getting excited about Paulie's production so far as well? I almost started a Paulie thread but don't want to hex him.

Also it seems AJP and Thome have hit well the days after their days off. I'm all for resting them against some lefties.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Is anybody else getting excited about Paulie's production so far as well? I almost started a Paulie thread but don't want to hex him.

Also it seems AJP and Thome have hit well the days after their days off. I'm all for resting them against some lefties.

It's refreshing to see Paulie hitting in April. Lately, it's been a depressing month for him. If we can get the 2005, 2006 version of Paulie, then we're set.

CQ is awesome, and it looks like he's gonna have another monster year. Thinking ahead though, I wonder what type of salary he's going to command when a new contract comes due, and if the Sox will meet his price?

They sent Magglio, Carlos Lee, and others packing, so I wonder if CQ will be shipped off in the same manner eventually.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks Q hasn't been super-duper this year? I know he has been awesome with the homers, but he is hitting .167 with 0 HRs and 2 RBIs with runner's in scoring position. He needs to improve that to be a god to me.

Every time Quentin comes to the plate there is a runner in scoring position, him. Sorry, Chuck Norris jokes are the theme, I couldn't resist.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
CQ is awesome, and it looks like he's gonna have another monster year. Thinking ahead though, I wonder what type of salary he's going to command when a new contract comes due, and if the Sox will meet his price?

They sent Magglio, Carlos Lee, and others packing, so I wonder if CQ will be shipped off in the same manner eventually.

I wouldn't throw Lee in the same category, he's not as good as the other 2. I think the Sox wanted to resign Maggs, but his injury seemed to be a big deal and they simply got outbid. I'm pretty sure the Sox will at least try to resign Quentin when that day comes.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 12:47 AM)
Every time Quentin comes to the plate there is a runner in scoring position, him. Sorry, Chuck Norris jokes are the theme, I couldn't resist.

I wouldn't throw Lee in the same category, he's not as good as the other 2. I think the Sox wanted to resign Maggs, but his injury seemed to be a big deal and they simply got outbid. I'm pretty sure the Sox will at least try to resign Quentin when that day comes.

CQ>>MAGGS>LEE

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)

I can't get excited about Paulie unless he continues it into the second half. He usually is a one half player. Not every year but he has burned me too many times to get excited this early.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)

Knee injury or not, I don't think that Kenny was ever going to re-sign Maggs. The problem with giving out big contracts to Maggs and Carlos was that they were on the same teams as Konerko and Frank. He couldn't give all four of those guys $50-100 million deals. Quentin's case is different. Not only is he a more talented hitter than Carlos and Paulie (and has more power than Maggs), it's unlikely that he'll be competing with the same level of hitting talent for that big contract a few years down the road. If he stays healthy, I imagine that Kenny will pay him big-time, just like Schueler did with Frank.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
It's refreshing to see Paulie hitting in April. Lately, it's been a depressing month for him. If we can get the 2005, 2006 version of Paulie, then we're set.

With the risk of pissing off TCQ by diverting attention from his awesomeness, I saw a pre-season interview with Paulie where he stated that he started his offseason training/workouts a few weeks earlier this year than any other year....looks like it may be paying dividends.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 06:38 AM)
With the risk of pissing off TCQ by diverting attention from his awesomeness, I saw a pre-season interview with Paulie where he stated that he started his offseason training/workouts a few weeks earlier this year than any other year....looks like it may be paying dividends.

Or it's just the case of his ridiculously low BABIP from the last two seasons righting itself. If he had even a league average BABIP last year his line would have been something like; .290/.395/.500, where's the regression in that? I loved Paulie as a bounce back candidate because of the previously mentioned reason and thus far he's making me look pretty good.