4/28 Games

flavum

W-S is losing 6-4, in the 9th. Maxwell got hit around again (5 ER, 10 H in 5.1 IP), Shelton and Mollenhauer with big games offensively so far.

Tonight's games:

Charlotte @ Durham, 6:05pm CT, no starters announced yet

B-Ham @ Mobile, 7:05pm CT, Poreda (1-2, 1.69) going for the Barons

Hickory @ Kanny, 6:05pm CT, Leesman (2-0, 1.47) starts for the Intimidators

Edited by scenario

Kannapolis won. Leesman 3-0, 1.78.

Birmingham down 2-0 top 8.

Santeliz making his 2009 debut. Replaced Poreda with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Struck out two batters to get out of it.

Final line for Poreda-

6.1 inn, 5 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 3 k's

ERA at 2.01

Beckham 0-1, 2 BB

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
And people still think he has a future...

There's a future for every pitcher in the organization from Winston-Salem up based on the way Egbert and Broadway have performed.

All they have to do is seize the opportunity and run with it.

QUOTE (goblue5699 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
Marquez gave up 6 in the first inning and has walked 4 through two innings.

Marquez is garbage, and the sooner the White Sox admit it, the better. You really don't want them messing around promoting him like they have done Broadway the next couple of years. The chances of major league success is just above zero.

Jeez, has anyone checked out Cole Armstrong's numbers so far? .129/.156/.194 for a .350 OPS. He's drawn one walk, but struck out 14 times, which is nearly half his at bats (31).

I agree with Kalapse, I usually tend to give prospects some leeway based on talent, but Marquez has been awful in all 4 outings he's had at Charlotte. Anyone seen him pitch down there at all? Anything stick out as to why he'd be THAT bad?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)
Jeez, has anyone checked out Cole Armstrong's numbers so far? .129/.156/.194 for a .350 OPS. He's drawn one walk, but struck out 14 times, which is nearly half his at bats (31).

I agree with Kalapse, I usually tend to give prospects some leeway based on talent, but Marquez has been awful in all 4 outings he's had at Charlotte. Anyone seen him pitch down there at all? Anything stick out as to why he'd be THAT bad?

The game was on MiLB.tv last night, so is today's moring game (10AM CT), didn't see anything that was all that obvious as to why he's struggling. Maybe he just sucks. Although he had very little command. To be fair, Charlotte just played bad all the way around.

I'm not surprised by some of the bandwagon bashing I see on Marquez because his early outings have been brutal.

But he has the "stuff" to be a successful major league pitcher. His fastball is sub-par but his sinker and curve are very good. (Does Broadway have one pitch that is as good as either of those? No.)

And except for last year (and the first couple games of this one), over the course of Marquez's career his control has been good.

So... I don't think there is any rational reason to give up on the guy yet.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
I'm not surprised by some of the bandwagon bashing I see on Marquez because his early outings have been brutal.

But he has the "stuff" to be a successful major league pitcher. His fastball is sub-par but his sinker and curve are very good. (Does Broadway have one pitch that is as good as either of those? No.)

And except for last year (and the first couple games of this one), over the course of Marquez's career his control has been good.

So... I don't think there is any rational reason to give up on the guy yet.

I'd agree its certainly not time to give up yet. But 4 outings, all bad, is a bit worrisome. Actually, its so bad, that it seems obvious to me he's doing something odd (intentionally or not I do not know). Hopefully they are working with him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
I'd agree its certainly not time to give up yet. But 4 outings, all bad, is a bit worrisome. Actually, its so bad, that it seems obvious to me he's doing something odd (intentionally or not I do not know). Hopefully they are working with him.

Total speculation on my part at this point... but I bet they're having him work on a cutter... and he's getting slapped around while he's trying to learn it.

The reason I say this is because he needs a pitch he can throw inside to people... something with movement on it. That seems to be the weakness in his pitch repertoire.

Edited by scenario