2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
I think Mitchell's power could also be intriguing. He's absolutely ripped and bench pressed 335 pounds, and squatted 450 pounds before arriving on LSU's campus. If someone can correct his swing, he could be a special talent. If his swing can't be corrected then we might end up with Esix Snead.

This reminded me of another reason why I don't like the idea of drafting football players, well at least not early. The whole strength programs are different. It's one thing for a football and baseball player out of HS, but coming out of college, they've spent 2-3 years doing some serious weight lifting for football that works areas that don't help in you baseball, but make you maybe even worse.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

problem with speedy LF, especially with Danks in the system. Mitchell/Danks/Quentin for 2013 outfield!

Seriously Off Topic: I love TCQ, but he's gotta stop being so damn injury prone. I know it isn't his fault, but he's like Luol Deng in baseball cept more talented. I'm on the fence to whether let him ride cause he's such an elite talent, or trade him and get a f*** ton for him in about 2-4 years.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
Seriously Off Topic: I love TCQ, but he's gotta stop being so damn injury prone. I know it isn't his fault, but he's like Luol Deng in baseball cept more talented. I'm on the fence to whether let him ride cause he's such an elite talent, or trade him and get a f*** ton for him in about 2-4 years.

I would love for the Sox to trade Carlos asap because I don't think he will ever be truly healthy. But don't tell anyone :-P.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
A soxtalk twitter might be badass. Albeit I have zero idea how to use Twitter.

I'll learn ya, but I set up the FutureSox one.

Then maybe I'll show you how to set up a Soxtalk one.

Eh, we'll just do one for the time being so futuresox it is. Now can you set it up so there are multiple contributors to the futuresox one? I registered nad than followed the site. Chisoxfn is my username and send a text to my phone.

If anyone can show me a player who struck out 30% of his ABs in college and then went on to have a successful major league career I am all for drafting Mitchell. If not, there will be plenty of power arms availible at 23.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
Eh, we'll just do one for the time being so futuresox it is. Now can you set it up so there are multiple contributors to the futuresox one? I registered nad than followed the site. Chisoxfn is my username and send a text to my phone.

If you log on to AIM, I can explain it to you real slow so you can understand it - just like when we were teaching you how to deal with women. :P

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
To be honest, I'm more of a Mitchell fan than most on this board that I have read. I wouldn't be terribly upset with the pick. I think he fits nicely into the possibility of the CF leadoff role, almost in line with Allen, Flowers, Danks, Beckham, Retherford's timetable.

I like him too. Hard not to drool over the athleticism/speed combo. The concerns are legitimate. And that's what the minor leagues are for. This isn't the NBA/NFL where all first rounders are expected to contribute the next season (which is the main reason the MLB draft will never be as big as the NFL/NBA drafts. But that's another subject altogether). Whoever we draft at #23 won't see the big leagues until probably 2011 at the absolute earliest.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
I think the Poreda call up reaffirms the need for another power arm in the system, preferably, another lefty. .

In baseball, I personally think its a mistake in the first few rounds to target needs that specifically. First few rounds, you go get the most talented player available at that time, regardless of position. You might emphasize more upside+risk, or more stable with lower upside, but that's about it. Then, after the first few picks, you start looking at the system (those first few picks included) and say, OK, what are we thin on? Then you go get the best available in those areas (though if some name falls that you can't pass up, you get them, of course).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
In baseball, I personally think its a mistake in the first few rounds to target needs that specifically. First few rounds, you go get the most talented player available at that time, regardless of position. You might emphasize more upside+risk, or more stable with lower upside, but that's about it. Then, after the first few picks, you start looking at the system (those first few picks included) and say, OK, what are we thin on? Then you go get the best available in those areas (though if some name falls that you can't pass up, you get them, of course).

Draft wise, I’m definitely a best player available type guy. I’m just saying is if the scenario comes down where it’s Jared Mitchell or Brothers. The choice is pretty clear.

Tanner Scheppers put up one hell of a final outing in St. Paul. Was pitching in the upper 90's and topped out at 101. It was against a lineup that included former White Sox prospect Anthony Webster (who, IIRC, was one of the guys traded in the Carl Everett deal).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=964

In his final start for the St. Paul Saints (independent American Association), Scheppers worked five innings, allowing three hits, one run and three walks while striking out five . Extra fresh after a nine-day layoff, Scheppers was sititng at 96-97 mph for much of the game and he touched 101 mph on the Saints’ radar gun. Scouts told manager George Tsamis after the game that they had him touching 98 and 99 mph."He was outstanding yesterday. He was great," Tsamis said. "He was throwing hard with good command of his fourt pitches. You don’t see too many guys even at the major league level who throw 96-99 mph. Just to see a kid like that is amazing.

If Scheppers is there and the Sox pass, I will f***ing throw a hissy fit. He has such a special arm and imo, if he's healthy, he's the 2nd best player in this draft.

According to Sickles:

A lot of players yesterday gave out their bonus demands, unexpectedly large bonus demands. Expect more of the high school guys to fall than previously expected.

Looks like we can eliminate any HS players if we are set on not wanting to go over slot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Tanner Scheppers put up one hell of a final outing in St. Paul. Was pitching in the upper 90's and topped out at 101. It was against a lineup that included former White Sox prospect Anthony Webster (who, IIRC, was one of the guys traded in the Carl Everett deal).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=964

If Scheppers is there and the Sox pass, I will f***ing throw a hissy fit. He has such a special arm and imo, if he's healthy, he's the 2nd best player in this draft.

If there is any reason Scheppers drops 23 spots to us, I'll guarantee he'll just pass right on by.

Although I believe there's no way gets by Detroit.

Here's a guy whose name is flying up the boards. Not sure where he'd play defensively, but his bat gets rave reviews. Max Walla

He Wallops the ball. I love this guys name. Jabari Blash and Max Walla in the same draft, maybe. Here's a link to the article, but below is one of the things that stands out the most.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=967

but we’ve been told that during his workout in Anaheim, Walla was thrown 60 balls during a BP session and put 38 of them in the seats for home runs.

He has a compact swing and consistently hits balls on the sweet spot. Swinging from the left side, Walla generates considerable power for his size. Between his junior year in Albuquerque and the summer showcase circuit, Walla hit 51 home runs. His coach said that at a workout for some scouts this spring, they wanted to see him take 25 swings with a metal bat and then 25 with wood. He hit 18 home runs with the metal, switched to wood and hit 18 more over the fence. He was also a standout pitcher for his team this year, leading them to a state championship, but his future is as a hitter.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
According to Sickles:

Looks like we can eliminate any HS players if we are set on not wanting to go over slot.

One of the top prep pitchers is expected to slide out of the first round due to his bonus demands. It is Texas lefty, Matt Purke.

I've seen Walla mainly associated with the 3rd round, but I wouldn't mind drafting him in the 2nd. He can really hit. Looks like he'll be limited to LF though, maybe even 1B if he doesn't show a whole lot of range. Has a really strong arm though.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
If there is any reason Scheppers drops 23 spots to us, I'll guarantee he'll just pass right on by.

Although I believe there's no way gets by Detroit.

Not so fast my friend

Late word is that Detroit won't have a blank check to sign its favorite player who falls because of signability, which would have been Matzek, Turner or Purke. The Tigers could draft Crow and dig in, assuming he won't want to head back for a second season in independent ball. Candidates for a slot deal include Lipscomb lefthander Rex Brothers, Trout and James.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
One of the top prep pitchers is expected to slide out of the first round due to his bonus demands. It is Texas lefty, Matt Purke.

Yep, I've heard he's asking for Porcello money. I think some team will take a chance on him.

Is is true the Yankees will be going after an easy sign after missing out on Cole last year? Cause there's a good chance some really good HS players fall to the yankees, notably Purke and Tate.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
I've seen Walla mainly associated with the 3rd round, but I wouldn't mind drafting him in the 2nd. He can really hit. Looks like he'll be limited to LF though, maybe even 1B if he doesn't show a whole lot of range. Has a really strong arm though.

He's going earlier than that. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him earlier if the Sox get him to sign under slot and than allocate those resources to another guy. His bat is so freaking good and he's the type of prospect that will have a lot of trade value a year or two from now if the team wants to move him. Which is always something to factor in given Kenny's willingness to make deals.