2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 19, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Should be an interesting draft for us. I expect us to revist Brett Basham and Christopher Cron in this draft who were former picks. I'm also sure we'll see some guys/projects with high eras in college taken in later rounds who either need a mechanic tweak, or to develop better their secondary pitches (like the Dominion boys, esp. D. Carter who was already bringing it with his 95+ gas but now has the command) Should be pretty interesting also to see half of soxtalk pissed at a pick. :lol:

That would make sense with Basham and Cron. I don't think Basham improved his stock much by going back to school. His was a 1st team SEC All-Defensive Catcher last year, but lost out on playing time this year to another Senior who came out of nowhere (Kyle Henson). He still started 20-something games, but his offense was about like last year (only hit .280, 3 hrs, 17 rbi). With his great defensive play, though, he would be a nice guy to have in the minor's helping out our pitching staffs.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
I only have time for 1 profile today, and I'm gonna knock that out in a couple minutes... but, if I have time this weekend, I plan on doing a mock draft. It'll be tougher this year since outside of the top 5 or so, there's not gonna be a huge difference between the players taken at 10 overall and 20 overall like there was last year, but I'll try my best.

I'll give you guys a sneak preview though... Bit of a surprise, I have Strasburg going no. 1 overall! Shocker, I know.

Oh, one other interesting thing coming from Hahn, was that he mentioned how the 70th pick of the draft might not be much different than the 10th pick in the draft. Basically stating whats been said a million times over, lots of solid baseball players but very few guys that fall into the 10-25 range in the draft (its gonna be a wild draft).

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Any chance we look at Tanner Scheppers with our first pick?

I'd certainly hope so if he was there, but I'd be stunned to see him fall outside of the top 15 and expect him to go top 10. The Angels trainer, Yocum, gave a clean reading on his shoulder but some teams might have concerns and thats the only way (along with $$$) which would send him falling (that or an injury of course).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:36 AM)
It would all depend on his health. That's the only reason he didn't go in the first-round last year. If he's medically cleared to go, I'd be all over him.

He's been cleared, therein lies the problem, who would pass on a healthy Tanner Scheppers?

Edited by Thunderbolt

After my initial review of the Baseball America 2009 Draft Preview, I feel like the Sox will take Jared Mitchell with their first pick. KW's comments about taking a speedy outfielder (potential leadoff) and the comparison to Carl Crawford might be too much for KW to ignore.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
After my initial review of the Baseball America 2009 Draft Preview, I feel like the Sox will take Jared Mitchell with their first pick. KW's comments about taking a speedy outfielder (potential leadoff) and the comparison to Carl Crawford might be too much for KW to ignore.

This was his draft report in 2006, when he was selected by the Twins in the 10th round. He's improved in a lot of ares, but is still very raw, but as a toolsy project he's exactly the type of risk we should be willing to take. That being said if a Sheppers or a like-minded arm is still on the board, i'd take him and find a OF in rounds 2-5

306 Jared Mitchell Westgate HS CF L/L 6'0" 190 1988-10-13 HS 350K

Comments: A two-sport star who's signed to play football at LSU, he's a very raw, toolsy outfielder with speed to spare. He's very good defensively in center, but the projection of his bat is in question.

My ideal draft as of now:

23 - OF A.J. Pollock, Notre Dame

38 - C Tony Sanchez, Boston College

61 - OF Aaron Miller, Baylor

71 - P Kendall Volz, Baylor

The Rest - A ton of pitching with a couple more OF, C, and corner infielders thrown in there for the flavor.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 23, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
I don't want Mitchell, so I'd be happy if the Twins take him. I'm sick and tired of athletes. I want baseball players.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 24, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
My ideal draft as of now:

23 - OF A.J. Pollock, Notre Dame

38 - C Tony Sanchez, Boston College

61 - OF Aaron Miller, Baylor

71 - P Kendall Volz, Baylor

The Rest - A ton of pitching with a couple more OF, C, and corner infielders thrown in there for the flavor.

Interesting. According to The Sporting News:

31. Chicago Cubs

A.J. Pollock, Notre Dame, 2B/OF

Versatile athlete continues to lead the Irish.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 25, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
Interesting. According to The Sporting News:

31. Chicago Cubs

A.J. Pollock, Notre Dame, 2B/OF

Versatile athlete continues to lead the Irish.

There's a difference between being a baseball player who's a good athlete, and a good athlete who plays baseball.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 25, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Isn't it usually early afternoon?

They made some TV-friendly changes for this year.

The draft will begin Tuesday, June 9 at 3 p.m. Seattle time. The first day will consist of the first 111 picks -- round one, compensation round A after the first round, round two, round three, and the second compensation round.

The draft will resume Wednesday at 9 a.m. our time, with the fourth round; it is tentatively scheduled to go through the 30th round. The draft will conclude on Thursday with the 31st through 50th rounds.