When Will the Slayer Era Begin?

soxfan3530

67 members have voted

1. 1. When does Beckham get the call up?

• Within the next two weeks
    • Before the All-Star break
    • Sometime late in the year
    • Today Dammit!

So with Beckham being promoted to AAA and all the speculation around him replacing Fields, the question is when do you realistically think he will be on the White Sox roster? Also, leave comments if you think it is a good idea for him to be called up this early, what it might mean for the team and what are some reasonable expectations for him. Personally I think he will be called up within two weeks and do a pretty solid job a the hot corner. I think a .270-.280 average is not out of the picture. Not sure exact numbers since we wont really know how much action he gets. Thoughts? Discuss amongst yourself.

It's just expecting way too much of him to call him up right now - even His Awesomeness Ken Griffey Jr. saw a few hundred ABs before getting called up (although I think he got hurt and delayed his callup, but still).

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 28, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
It's just expecting way too much of him to call him up right now - even His Awesomeness Ken Griffey Jr. saw a few hundred ABs before getting called up (although I think he got hurt and delayed his callup, but still).

Very different scenarios, one was 18 fresh out of high school, and the other is 22 who played ball in college, a great conference at that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 28, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)

Ventura had about 450 AB in the minors, Frank Thomas about 600. Its probably not ideal calling him up now, playing out the rest of the season in the minors is probably more desirable, but its 3 months of games. It shouldn't kill him if he struggles.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 28, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
Very different scenarios, one was 18 fresh out of high school, and the other is 22 who played ball in college, a great conference at that.

It is, but JFL posted some other examples earlier this morning I think, players that actually did go to college.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Felix @ May 28, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
I hope we don't see him until September at the earliest. I'd rather we wait until next year anyway, but he'll probably get the call in September.

exactly this.

I can be pateint enough to see him on the Opening Day roster in 2010. If he gets the call-up this year, we'll already be in real deep s***, and then to make matters worse lets go ahead and put extra pressure on our young prized phenom to pull a team out of a funk. No thanks.

The sooner the better. Even if he struggles this kid is not the type to have his career ruined by being brought up a couple months too early. He'll get his adjustment in and be hitting a consistent .300 by mid-September and we'll all love him for the next 15 years and the 2-3 more Championships he leads us to.

He is coming sooner than later. If the plan was to keep him down, he would be in AA playing with the new core. The only reason he is in AAA is to play 3rd. And the only reason for that is the Fields struggle. The minute they moved him up, started a clock that only the braintrust knows. He is coming.

I think Slayers debut depends solely on Josh Fields' performance, with that said I voted before ASB.

Even if Gordon gets called up this year and plays the reminder of the season and postseason at 3B I agree with Heads that Gordon will be playing 2B in 2010 with Tank or FA being our 3B.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 28, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
I think Slayers debut depends solely on Josh Fields' performance, with that said I voted before ASB.

Even if Gordon gets called up this year and plays the reminder of the season and postseason at 3B I agree with Heads that Gordon will be playing 2B in 2010 with Tank or FA being our 3B.

Long term, how can you not like the idea of having his bat at 2b, with Alexei and Beckham's bats up the middle. That's a ton of offense out of 2 defensive positions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Long term, how can you not like the idea of having his bat at 2b, with Alexei and Beckham's bats up the middle. That's a ton of offense out of 2 defensive positions.

Personally, I don't care, I want to see the best lineup put out there. Lets say Getz pans out, he makes the most sense for 2B. Lets say Nix pans out, he'd make sense at either 3B or 2B. But personally, ideally Viciedo pans out at 3B and Beck moves to 2B.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
The Sox need to go all WWE-style and start playing video montages about Slayer's upcoming arrival.

I voted 2010 cuz I dont want to waste an option on him this year when I don't think we will be there in the end, but this idea rocks.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
The Sox need to go all WWE-style and start playing video montages about Slayer's upcoming arrival.

I would love it if this were to happen, haha. We should put one together as a forum and send it to the White Sox PR, maybe it'll get played :lolhitting

QUOTE (Brian @ May 28, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
I voted 2010 cuz I dont want to waste an option on him this year when I don't think we will be there in the end, but this idea rocks.

Unless he is sent back down at some point in his career because he's struggling..(not a rehab assignment)...then there is no difference in terms of arbitration clocks/free agency/etc. between him coming up on June 2 of this year and him starting with the big league team next April. You have to delay him until some time in next May to legitimately gain another year before he hits FA/arbitration (I don't know the exact date and I'm not sure anyone else knows yet - depends on the schedule and some collectively bargained number that varies from year to year.)