How did Nate McLouth end up in Atlanta and not here?

VAfan

Nate McLouth, the gold glove winning CF for the Pirates, just ended up in Atlanta for 3 minor league prospects, one rated #4, another #7, and a third unrated. Further, McLouth is 27 and signed for 3 more seasons. He's got speed, some pop, and enough of an eye to have an OBP in the mid-.300s.

I don't follow the NL that much, but am I wrong in thinking this guy could have been the answer we've been seeking in CF since Aaron Rowand rode out of town? Plus he's a lefty with some power, and by next year when Thome is gone, the Sox will have no one who can fill that job.

What am I missing? Couldn't we have bettered Atlanta's deal and filled a glaring hole in our lineup and roster?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mclouth is an overrated defensive player with a decent bat. The Pirates were not actively shopping him, the Braves approached them, and “blew them out of the water.” I imagine KW has more important things on his mind.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
Poreda is better than anything offered, so is danks. So no, that statement isn't true felix.

From everything I've read, both Jeff Locke and Gorkys Hernandez are considered pretty solid prospects. I might give you that Poreda is a better prospect than Locke, but it's not like the guys the Pirates got are scrubs or anything.

I only know what I've been reading, but it seems like we would have had to overpay a lot to get him, and frankly McLouth isn't worth that.

And for the record, BA has Gorkys Hernandez ranked as the 62nd best prospect in their 2009 rankings. #63? Poreda.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
From everything I've read, both Jeff Locke and Gorkys Hernandez are considered pretty solid prospects. I might give you that Poreda is a better prospect than Locke, but it's not like the guys the Pirates got are scrubs or anything.

I only know what I've been reading, but it seems like we would have had to overpay a lot to get him, and frankly McLouth isn't worth that.

And for the record, BA has Gorkys Hernandez ranked as the 62nd best prospect in their 2009 rankings. #63? Poreda.

Unless the Pirates have their own Coop, Locke's gonna be a major project. Apparently the stuff is there, but he isn't much of a pitcher.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
Nate McLouth, the gold glove winning CF for the Pirates, just ended up in Atlanta for 3 minor league prospects, one rated #4, another #7, and a third unrated. Further, McLouth is 27 and signed for 3 more seasons. He's got speed, some pop, and enough of an eye to have an OBP in the mid-.300s.

I don't follow the NL that much, but am I wrong in thinking this guy could have been the answer we've been seeking in CF since Aaron Rowand rode out of town? Plus he's a lefty with some power, and by next year when Thome is gone, the Sox will have no one who can fill that job.

What am I missing? Couldn't we have bettered Atlanta's deal and filled a glaring hole in our lineup and roster?

Yeah, we easily could have bettered Atlanta’s deal, but McLouth is simply not worth the cost. We have a very good CF and leadoff prospect in Jordan Danks, who is probably a 1 - 1 ½ years away. Once Danks is ready, we’d have to move McLouth to a corner spot, where his production would only be league average at best. No reason to waste valuable assets on a short-term upgrade in CF.

Also, it’s pretty clear that Kenny’s focus right now is a front-line starter who can help this year and in the future. We shouldn’t trade any of the young players we have in AA unless it’s for a right-handed, stud pitcher who’s locked up for several seasons. If we need do an upgrade at CF or 2B, we should be able to find some cheap short-term options once we get closer to the trading deadline just because of the economy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
MMclouth is an overrated defensive player with a decent bat. The Pirates were not actively shopping him, the Braves approached them, and “blew them out of the water.” I imagine KW has more important things on his mind.

Disagree. ESPN BBTN classified this trade as a steal for Atlanta and that McClouth is a good talent. I don't think they gave up that much to get the guy.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
Any chance we'll see Danks before the year's out?

it would surprise me if its before the rosters expand....after that its possible, but hed have to be added to the 40 man....i would doubt if he does before september, but if the guy keeps hitting the way he has who knows

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
Disagree. ESPN BBTN classified this trade as a steal for Atlanta and that McClouth is a good talent. I don't think they gave up that much to get the guy.

Oh man. If BBTN says it, it must be true!

The Pirates are doing exactly what they should be doing and building for the future. That means trading the pieces like McLouth that aren't long-term answers for a bevy of prospects, which is exactly what they did. Both Hernandez and Locke are highly rated prospects, and Morton could probably go into their rotation right away. Some people don't like this deal because it makes them a worse team today, but it puts their organization in a better position for the future which is exactly what they should be worrying about. Obviously trading players that are already developed and in the majors for prospects is going to be a risk, but that doesn't make it an awful trade.

For what it's worth, here's Keith Law's take on it from a chat today:

Keith Law: Like it a lot for Pittsburgh - Morton could go right in their rotation, Gorkys is a ++ defender with a chance to hit (he hasn't been good this year but he's also 21 in AA), Locke is a high-upside LHP with three pitches who has shown good feel and command in the past. That's a lot of talent - and difficult-to-get talent, since players up the middle and LHP are hard to acquire in trade or free agency - for a guy who is, what, an average outfielder? Fringe-average? Since 6/1/08 McLouth has hit .256/.327/.447 if you exclude his 7 IBB, and he's not good in CF.
Edited by Felix

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
Any chance we'll see Danks before the year's out?

Buddy Bell's been talking about the kid being major league ready. We could see a promotion to Charlotte by the end of the year.

Edited by Thunderbolt

MMclouth is an overrated defensive player with a decent bat. The Pirates were not actively shopping him, the Braves approached them, and “blew them out of the water.” I imagine KW has more important things on his mind.

I've always hoped in the back of my mind we'd get McLouth. You are probably right that it's because Danks is coming soon. But cf is what we need and he was there for the taking.

I think McLouth is getting to much bashing on here. He isn't this superstar player some in the media make him out to be, but he's a good, solid player.

He isn't a stud in CF and not GG caliber, but he's decent. He has very good speed and can steal about 20-30 bags a year. Also, he's got good pop and run producing ability and he can knock 20+ homers, get a lot of doubles, and drive in a good amount (depending on where he's batting in the lineup).

Superstar? No, but a very solid player.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
I think McLouth is getting to much bashing on here. He isn't this superstar player some in the media make him out to be, but he's a good, solid player.

He isn't a stud in CF and not GG caliber, but he's decent. He has very good speed and can steal about 20-30 bags a year. Also, he's got good pop and run producing ability and he can knock 20+ homers, get a lot of doubles, and drive in a good amount (depending on where he's batting in the lineup).

Superstar? No, but a very solid player.

I don't think anyone is denying that he's a solid player (.800-.810 OPS with slightly below average defense), but he's certainly incredibly overrated (especially by Pirates fans) and not worth a package of our top prospects.

Im not overly impressed with any of the prospects the Pirates got for McLouth, I dont think any of them end up being impact players in the majors at all. The one who might seems to be Locke, but Gorky's to me looks like a 4th OF and the 3rd guy has stunk in the majors already.