GameThread: White Sox(27-31) vs Tigers(31-26) 7:11 CSN+

Kyyle23

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
did you miss some of the scouts saying Beckham should turn into one of the best hitters in baseball? In 3 years, I'll be shocked if Beckham doesn't put up numbers similar or better than Pedroia.

that was the risk about bringing Beckham up, a complete overreation to early struggles (but his late BB was good). I like that they're keeping him lower in the order, his struggles are less magnified

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
He means getting a pile of prospects for one of our legit players via trade.

And Rotoworld quotes other scouts saying he's got a problem in his swing.

Two scouts have told the Arlington Heights Daily Herald that Gordon Beckham will have to change his swing to be an effective hitter at the major league level.

"He looks like a pretty good athlete," one scout said. "But he’s got to change his swing or (pitchers) are going to keep pounding him inside." Said another scout: "The way his swing is, he’s got no chance right now. They’re going to keep working him in until he makes an adjustment." Beckham has shown a long swing and poor patience while starting off 0-for-13 as a major leaguer.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 04:09 AM)
He means getting a pile of prospects for one of our legit players via trade.

Ok, even though 3 of the 4 guys he mentioned were first round picks. There is one guy on our team that would fetch a potential game-changing prospect, and it's Jenks (assuming he's healthy :P )

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
You know my thinking. If you're not going to end up within 5 games of the divisional lead (which means you're in it until the last week), then you might as well be out of it come the deadline.

This team is dead. And really even if we do go on a bit of a run in July or August and somehow win the AL Central by default, do we even have a prayer vs a Boston or New York in the playoffs? Lets see what we have with our kids. Let Beckham see MLB pitchers every day. Trade Dye and Dotel for some solid prospects. Bring up Jordan Danks, bring up Viciedo. Lets see what these kids can do vs MLB pitchers. . . HELL bring up Jared Mitchell in August.

Would any of us be upset if our starting lineup was this in September:

Jared Mitchell RF

Alexie Ramirez SS

Carlos Quentin LF

Paul Konerko 1B

AJ Pierzynski C

Gordon Beckham 3B

Dayan Viciedo DH/3B

Chris Getz 2B

Jordan Danks CF

Without Pauly and AJ, thats our team of the future right there. In 2011 i could see Flowers as our new C, and Brandon Allen as our 1B. Lets face it guys we are on the verge of a youth movement. No need to be stubborn and continue to try to win on and get younger on the fly, i respect what KW was trying to do but it just isn't happening.

The 2 guys i want us to keep during this transition are Buerhle and Jenks. However, if you could bring in a couple of top 100 type prospects to add more depth to our farm for Jenks, im all for it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
did you miss some of the scouts saying Beckham should turn into one of the best hitters in baseball? In 3 years, I'll be shocked if Beckham doesn't put up numbers similar or better than Pedroia.

That would be cool, but I want more. It would also be cool if Flowers turned out to be a Kevin Youkilis.

Wow, those scouts about Beckham must be watching another game. He hasn't even seen an inside fastball since he's been up, it seems. He's just getting under things and popping them up to the right side instead of driving them.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
Ok, even though 3 of the 4 guys he mentioned were first round picks. There is one guy on our team that would fetch a potential game-changing prospect, and it's Jenks (assuming he's healthy :P )

depends on what happens with injuries, if there's an injury or two one of the hitters could get a lot

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
Jared Mitchell RF

Alexie Ramirez SS

Carlos Quentin LF

Paul Konerko 1B

AJ Pierzynski C

Gordon Beckham 3B

Dayan Viciedo DH/3B

Chris Getz 2B

Jordan Danks CF

Jared Mitchell has no business being up in September. How many minor league games would he play? 5?

Tonights game like game one yesterday was frustrating, but the positive is the fact we fought back in the 9th to tie it. Yes, we seem to find new and depressing ways to lose games, but I think this will even out and we will be fighting for the division still as we get into the final couple weeks of September. There undoubtedly will be a couple more moves. What those are only time and KW will tell. But, I ain't ready to throw in the towel yet.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:13 AM)
Jared Mitchell has no business being up in September. How many minor league games would he play? 5?

You're right. He shouldn't be called up at all this year. Let's see how he does next year in ST

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)

would it hurt anything if he got his feet wet? Its one thing coming out of high school, its another coming out of college.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Wow, those scouts about Beckham must be watching another game. He hasn't even seen an inside fastball since he's been up, it seems. He's just getting under things and popping them up to the right side instead of driving them.

If you ask enough scouts about anybody, no matter how good or potentially good, you'll get some negative opinions. There is a reason some teams are good and some teams are awful.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
This team is dead. And really even if we do go on a bit of a run in July or August and somehow win the AL Central by default, do we even have a prayer vs a Boston or New York in the playoffs? Lets see what we have with our kids. Let Beckham see MLB pitchers every day. Trade Dye and Dotel for some solid prospects. Bring up Jordan Danks, bring up Viciedo. Lets see what these kids can do vs MLB pitchers. . . HELL bring up Jared Mitchell in August.

Would any of us be upset if our starting lineup was this in September:

Jared Mitchell RF

Alexie Ramirez SS

Carlos Quentin LF

Paul Konerko 1B

AJ Pierzynski C

Gordon Beckham 3B

Dayan Viciedo DH/3B

Chris Getz 2B

Jordan Danks CF

Without Pauly and AJ, thats our team of the future right there. In 2011 i could see Flowers as our new C, and Brandon Allen as our 1B. Lets face it guys we are on the verge of a youth movement. No need to be stubborn and continue to try to win on and get younger on the fly, i respect what KW was trying to do but it just isn't happening.

The 2 guys i want us to keep during this transition are Buerhle and Jenks. However, if you could bring in a couple of top 100 type prospects to add more depth to our farm for Jenks, im all for it.

Seriously!?!?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)

They have been going away with him quite a bit. I haven't seen them pounding him in at all.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 05:15 AM)
If you ask enough scouts about anybody, no matter how good or potentially good, you'll get some negative opinions. There is a reason some teams are good and some teams are awful.

You listen to B&B today about those NFL rankings from scouts? As someone brought up, they were all ex-scouts, and the rankings showed why.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)

right, Strausburgh (sp?) has negatives, people compare his upsidedown W arm action with Priors... is he an awesome prospect? Absolutely, but everyone has negs

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
would it hurt anything if he got his feet wet? Its one thing coming out of high school, its another coming out of college.

Lets see if he gets beyond high A this year, which may be a stretch before we promote him. Beckham is a freak, you realize. Most guys don't get there this quick.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
They have been going away with him quite a bit. I haven't seen them pounding him in at all.

exactly, his approach and ABs have been OK lately, I think he'll have a 3-4 or 4-5 game soon

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)

Damn I like prospectes too but some just go DRAT Happy.

Geez people he just got drafted few hours ago, no he won't be here in September.