Healthcare reform

kapkomet

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 03:09 AM)
God that woman behind Franken is gorgeous. I want to work in DC.

Yeah, a lot of the pretty girls in the j-school with marginal talent ended up working in D.C. in the government, the smart, pretty girls knew that was a bad idea...for a journalist.

Man, and I used to like John Stossel.

Fox's John Stossel To Rally Against Health Care Reform

John Stossel of Fox News will join a conservative activist group for rallies designed to build opposition to health-care reform.

Americans For Prosperity (AFP) has announced that Stossel, a "renowned health care reporter and analyst," will participate in three "Health Care Town Halls," starting next week in Arkansas.

In a press release, AFP says that the events will be designed in part to "discuss the dangers of government-forced health care."

The news comes at a time when the White House has aggressively challenged Fox's legitimacy as a news organization. Stossel is longtime conservative/libertarian TV personality, who left ABC News for Rupert Murdoch's network in September.

Makes you wonder if he is there as a "reporter"/Fox News Employee or on his own accord.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Man, and I used to like John Stossel.

Fox's John Stossel To Rally Against Health Care Reform

Makes you wonder if he is there as a "reporter"/Fox News Employee or on his own accord.

[mindless drivel] Oh man, I used to like that guy, until he differs from my opinion, now he's just an asshole. [/mindless drivel]

How DARE someone disagree with something the great AHB believes in!!!

Do you realize how pathetic this makes you look? That's my problem with you posting like an RSS feed of things you do/do not believe in.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
[mindless drivel] Oh man, I used to like that guy, until he differs from my opinion, now he's just an asshole. [/mindless drivel]

Do you realize how pathetic this makes you look? That's my problem with you posting like an RSS feed of things you do/do not believe in.

It has nothing to do with my beliefs on Health care. It's a guy who I respected as a journalist who is apparently bending to Fox News' corporate RNC mouth piece mentality. Does he REALLY believe health care reform is bad, or is he walking the corporate line? I dont know anymore. It's amazing that when people go to Fox News they all of a sudden become activists.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
It has nothing to do with my beliefs on Health care. It's a guy who I respected as a journalist who is apparently bending to Fox News' corporate RNC mouth piece mentality. Does he REALLY believe health care reform is bad? I dont know anymore.

Without knowing the guy, I can say for sure that a big staple of the Libertarian diet is a large disdain for the expansion of government.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Without knowing the guy, I can say for sure that a big staple of the Libertarian diet is a large disdain for the expansion of government.

Here's where I see the problem: As a supposed journalist, he should maintain an openness to the fact. Now, obviously every journalist on the planet has some bias one way or the other. We are all humans, it's natural. But, to lead a cause against something, then down the road report on it puts you in a major ethical bind. Do you report the facts, or the other side of the story, or do you actively slant coverage to your view point. At this point, the journalist has lost all credibility on the story.

It's a journalism vs activism thing. If he wants to be a Fox News political activist, good for him. Just dont act like you are a journalist.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
Here's where I see the problem: As a supposed journalist, he should maintain an openness to the fact. Now, obviously every journalist on the planet has some bias one way or the other. We are all humans, it's natural. But, to lead a cause against something, then down the road report on it puts you in a major ethical bind. Do you report the facts, or the other side of the story, or do you actively slant coverage to your view point. At this point, the journalist has lost all credibility on the story.

It's a journalism vs activism thing. If he wants to be a Fox News political activist, good for him. Just dont act like you are a journalist.

um, he's been doing basically the exact same thing while on ABC for years. He wasn't a reporter, he was a paid Conservative commentor who appeared on their shows.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
um, he's been doing basically the exact same thing while on ABC for years. He wasn't a reporter, he was a paid Conservative commentor who appeared on their shows.

If that is the case, then I retract my statements. I havent watched ABC news in some time, my memory of him was much more of investigative guy... but my memory isnt immune for false memories.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)

There seems to be personal attacks in here. I thought we are supposed to refrain from that.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
It has nothing to do with my beliefs on Health care. It's a guy who I respected as a journalist who is apparently bending to Fox News' corporate RNC mouth piece mentality. Does he REALLY believe health care reform is bad, or is he walking the corporate line? I dont know anymore. It's amazing that when people go to Fox News they all of a sudden become activists.

That's better then what you said originally.

But honestly, this sentance can be changed to:

It's amazing that when people go to Fox News CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, et. al., they all of a sudden become activists.

It's all the "no-spin all-spin zone" and that's the problem with the "media". There's no integrity left anymore.

<!--quoteo(post=2032825:date=Oct 23, 2009 -> 04:01 PM:name=BigSqwert)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love when that wrestler back in the 80s punched him in the face.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1256337201169.jpg

So, I haven't really been following the heathcare thing too much recently. However, this morning on the news I heard specifics about the opt-in/out portion of the public option. All I've read before is there could possibly be a opt-in or out public option, but never who gets to do the optioning. This morning they said it was the states that get to opt-in/out.

I really like that idea. It clears up a lot of the constitutional debate that I am sure the GOP will throw at this bill to stall and/or kill it. Once you give the states the option to go in our out. it's no longer a federal vs states rights debate.

I am still in favor of a single payer system, but I think this will work well enough.