(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Yeah. The rotten part is that he had two sons (twins, 12 years old).

True Romance- outstanding, probably top 5, but definitely top 10 for me if I had to come up with a list. The Walken/Hopper scene is among my favorites in a movie. Every time I hear the name Floyd- which as a Sox fan is often- I think of Brad Pitt smoked out of his mind talking to James Gandolfini.

"Don't condescend me, man. I'll f'n kill you, man. "

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Hell of a job landing that thing, dude.

I was 19 when that happened. My little brother was 13 and really interested in science and and astronomy and all that. I was just into being stoned all the time but I was a good brother and I took him downtown to see the astronauts at a big ticker tape parade. It was pretty cool. Mayor Daley made a congratulatory speech.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Moonies cult leader Sun Myung Moon dies at 92; claimed to be the Messiah.

He controlled those people selling flowers on street corners that you see.

And the Washington Times.

And his own Navy, I believe.

Joe South, 72.

He is perhaps best known for the song ‘‘Games People Play,’’ which reached No. 12 on the Billboard charts in 1969 and won him two Grammys for Best Contemporary Song and Song of the Year. The opening lines evoked the message songs of the era: ‘‘Oh the games people play now, every night and every day now, never meaning what they say now, never saying what they mean.’’ The song, which was released on South’s debut album ‘‘Introspect,’’ spoke against hate, hypocrisy and inhumanity.

South worked as a session guitar player on recordings of some of the biggest names of the 1960s — Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan and Simon & Garfunkel, among others. But he had a string of hits of his own starting in the late 1960s that made his booming voice a familiar one on radio stations, with a style that some described as a mix of country and soul.

He also had hits with ‘‘Walk A Mile In My Shoes’’ and ‘‘Don’t It Make You Want to Go Home,’’ and wrote the Grammy-nominated ‘‘(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden’’ for country singer Lynn Anderson.

Earlier, South’s song ‘‘Down in the Boondocks’’ was a 1965 hit for singer Billy Joe Royal. He performed on Aretha Franklin’s ‘‘Chain of Fools,’’ as well as on Bob Dylan’s 1966 classic ‘‘Blonde on Blonde,’’ a triumphant mix of rock, blues and folk that Rolling Stone magazine ranked No. 9 on its greatest-ever albums list. The magazine credits ‘‘expert local sessionmen’’ with helping to create ‘‘an almost contradictory magnificence: a tightly wound tension around Dylan’s quicksilver language and incisive singing.’’

• 2 weeks later...

James "Sugar Boy" Crawford, (October 12, 1934 – September 15, 2012), New Orleans R&B singer/musician. Crawford wrote "Jock-A-Mo" (1954), a hit that was later recreated as "Iko Iko". Although his song became a standard at the New Orleans Mardi Gras, Crawford himself disappeared from public view, and in a 2002 interview for Offbeat, told how his career came to an abrupt halt after a severe beating which incapacitated him for two years, forcing him to leave the music industry. In 1963, en route to a show in north Louisiana with his band, Crawford was stopped by police and pistol-whipped. His only crime appears to have been that of being a black man at the wheel of a flashy new car. “The sheriff in Columbia called ahead, and they had a roadblock set up for me,” he recalled. “The police jumped on me and cracked my skull.”

Crawford was left in a coma. A metal plate was inserted in his skull and he lost much of his memory. It took him two years to recover from his brain injury, and he had to learn again how to walk, talk, and play the piano.

Although he briefly attempted a comeback, Crawford felt his talent had diminished. He abandoned rhythm and blues and confined his singing to the church.

• 2 weeks later...