(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
it's not really one of those things you can just DECIDE to stop doing one day... it's a tad more complicated than that...

nonetheless I agree with you that it's incredibly selfish and stupid to not at least try and seek help given his circumstances. 10 days in rehab doesn't quite cut it imo.

so stupid.

Yeah, I realize that addiction is a major b**** and it's not that simple to just say no. At the same time though, I still have a hard time feeling bad for someone with the world at his fingertips and 3 children to throw away his life like that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Yeah, I realize that addiction is a major b**** and it's not that simple to just say no. At the same time though, I still have a hard time feeling bad for someone with the world at his fingertips and 3 children to throw away his life like that.

Totally agree.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
I don't understand how anyone can say PSH wasn't a highly recognized actor/director. Maybe on your personal level it was true, but he was a highly decorated , very famous. His death was the lead story on network news.

Eh, its all subject to a persons tastes. Many people know him if you see him, but wouldnt know his name. Outside of Capote, most of his roles were (excellent) supporting cast roles or minor one shot roles. I love the guys work, I am gonna miss him

I thought one of his most subdued but greatest performances was in Magnolia, just standing in the background listening to TJ Mackey (Tom Cruise) berate his dying father, and when Cruise breaks down into tears, PSH looks truly shaken in the background by watching the scene unfold.

Warning: LANGUAGE.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
it's not really one of those things you can just DECIDE to stop doing one day... it's a tad more complicated than that...

nonetheless I agree with you that it's incredibly selfish and stupid to not at least try and seek help given his circumstances. 10 days in rehab doesn't quite cut it imo.

so stupid.

It may be hard to stop, but its certainly easier to not start. I am generally not someone to say "no" to drugs, but honestly Heroine is a killer.

If you are ever thinking about Heroine, dont not many people can get out of the spiral.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
It may be hard to stop, but its certainly easier to not start. I am generally not someone to say "no" to drugs, but honestly Heroine is a killer.

If you are ever thinking about Heroine, dont not many people can get out of the spiral.

I have read that you will always be an addict, the crave never goes away. You basically have to disassociate with anyone that was even somewhat close to the situation when you were an addict. Meth is pretty much the same.

Im not sure, I cant speak from experience, I can only say what Ive seen and relay the experience of those that I know.

The problem with "Dare" and "Just Say No" is that it created a false belief that all drugs were equally bad. Thus when some kids tried smoking weed, etc, and it didnt kill them, they just believed all drugs arent that bad.

But some are, some are really f***ing ridiculously dangerous with almost 0 redeemable qualities.

Its coincidental, but Friday I was talking about Heroine. And I flat out told my friends that we can try a lot of s***, but dont ever f*** around with needles and most specifically Heroine. Because its not even a happy drug, its a f***ing sad drug that you take when you want to dull the entire world.

Which also is part of the problem, a lot of people who turn to Heroine are already partially down the path of being gone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
Im not sure, I cant speak from experience, I can only say what Ive seen and relay the experience of those that I know.

The problem with "Dare" and "Just Say No" is that it created a false belief that all drugs were equally bad. Thus when some kids tried smoking weed, etc, and it didnt kill them, they just believed all drugs arent that bad.

But some are, some are really f***ing ridiculously dangerous with almost 0 redeemable qualities.

Its coincidental, but Friday I was talking about Heroine. And I flat out told my friends that we can try a lot of s***, but dont ever f*** around with needles and most specifically Heroine. Because its not even a happy drug, its a f***ing sad drug that you take when you want to dull the entire world.

Which also is part of the problem, a lot of people who turn to Heroine are already partially down the path of being gone.

Heroine - Joan of Arc

Heroin - Diamorphine

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
I'm guessing I wasn't the only person in America who saw the name and said "where do I know that name?" and then looking him up and saying "God he looks so familar, what the heck has he been in?" and then seeing that oh yeah, this guy has been in a ton of stuff.

psh_the_big_lebowski.jpg

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I think my favorite hoffman character was one of his lesser known ones, the former child actor in "Along Came Polly" that thought he was way more famous than he was. his sharting scene is hilarious

Absolute gold.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)

Just watching Requiem for a Dream and Trainspotting was enough to turn me off EVER considering heroin. Not that I would've anyway - but damn that s*** is insane.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)

All of them will hasten your death. What many don't realize about pot is that it's cardiac equivalent is 5 cigarettes. So if you smoke pot you will have a heart attack.

It also really limits your healing ability. It has a medical value because it basically eliminates inflammation and something like glaucoma is helped by this. However, it really limits regular healing and takes 2-3 times as long for normal injuries to heal.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
Sorry to be that guy, but you used the wrong word 5 times in 2 posts.

What guy? My secretary?

If you couldnt understand "heroin" versus "heroine" thats more on your reading comprehension and less on my lack of proofreading an internet post. Even when I get paid to write, there is someone who proofreads for me.

Ptac,

You have the study? Most studies Ive ever seen regarding marijuana have a problem in that many of the marijuana smokers are also cigarette smokers, so its hard to determine its impact alone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
What guy? My secretary?

If you couldnt understand "heroin" versus "heroine" thats more on your reading comprehension and less on my lack of proofreading an internet post. Even when I get paid to write, there is someone who proofreads for me.

Ptac,

You have the study? Most studies Ive ever seen regarding marijuana have a problem in that many of the marijuana smokers are also cigarette smokers, so its hard to determine its impact alone.

There are some pretty good studies I will dig them up for you. It relates more to the chemical make up than anything else.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
There are some pretty good studies I will dig them up for you. It relates more to the chemical make up than anything else.

I'd always heard it was like smoking an unfiltered cigarette, with slight variants based on the device -- joint/bong/etc. While I suppose the presence of water in a bong might make it slightly less bad for you, you're still inhaling smoke into the lungs. The other big thing I'd read is that marijuana tends to affect the lungs less, or once you stop it cleans out quicker (which sorta seems to contradict the first one, at least intuitively). That's just some things I've heard though, no idea about its actual veracity.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
What guy? My secretary?

Ptac,

I have honestly never seen you admit you're wrong. Not once. Even here when it's something as simple to prove as a spelling error, you just make a smug comment basically saying you're above needing to spell :lol:

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:30 AM)
I have honestly never seen you admit you're wrong. Not once. Even here when it's something as simple to prove as a spelling error, you just make a smug comment basically saying you're above needing to spell :lol:

Thats because even when I was a child I used to tell people that I was above spelling and that one day computers would do it for me. Sure I got a homophone wrong, it happens to everyone, I cant spell, I freely admit it and will never say that Im a spelling champ.

I do find it quite annoying when people correct peoples spelling on the internet and I always use the secretary line. Because its true, no one judges intelligence by spelling.