(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 01:53 AM)
Thats because even when I was a child I used to tell people that I was above spelling and that one day computers would do it for me. Sure I got a homophone wrong, it happens to everyone, I cant spell, I freely admit it and will never say that Im a spelling champ.

I do find it quite annoying when people correct peoples spelling on the internet and I always use the secretary line. Because its true, no one judges intelligence by spelling.

um

yeah they do.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:54 AM)
um

yeah they do.

Uh no they dont. I cant recall a single paper where a teacher went "Well Badger, you had the best ideas, best argument, but you misspelled a word so I gave you an F."

And even better, once you get to a certain level, someone proof reads all your s***.

Unless now we are saying the editor is more important than the author???

But hey, if you want to show off a bunch of spelling bee awards, thats your call. Like I said, Ive never cared about spelling, never will. Say Im bad at it, I dont care lol.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
All of them will hasten your death. What many don't realize about pot is that it's cardiac equivalent is 5 cigarettes. So if you smoke pot you will have a heart attack.

It also really limits your healing ability. It has a medical value because it basically eliminates inflammation and something like glaucoma is helped by this. However, it really limits regular healing and takes 2-3 times as long for normal injuries to heal.

Dude, come on.

My brother had a friend who smoked pot die of a heroin overdose, shows what ptact knows!

More seriously though, of the people I know who still smoke pot, they might do it once every few weekends. Not really comparable to someone smoking a pack of cigarettes day-in, day-out. I'd wonder how edible or vaporized pot compares, too.

My brother had a friend who smoked pot die of a heroin overdose, shows what ptact knows!

More seriously though, of the people I know who still smoke pot, they might do it once every few weekends. Not really comparable to someone smoking a pack of cigarettes day-in, day-out. I'd wonder how edible or vaporized pot compares, too.

I know people who smoke 10+ times/week.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:53 AM)
Thats because even when I was a child I used to tell people that I was above spelling and that one day computers would do it for me. Sure I got a homophone wrong, it happens to everyone, I cant spell, I freely admit it and will never say that Im a spelling champ.

I do find it quite annoying when people correct peoples spelling on the internet and I always use the secretary line. Because its true, no one judges intelligence by spelling.

I have to agree with badger here, when people correct a spelling or punctuation error on the Internet, it's because they have nothing of substance to add to the conversation OR any valid response to the actual point that was being made.

So long as you understand what the person was trying to say, just let it go, and respond to their point, not their grammar.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
I have to agree with badger here. When people correct a spelling or punctuation error on the Internet, it's because they have nothing of substance to add to the conversation NOR any valid response to the actual point that was being made.

So long as you understand what the person was trying to say, just let it go, and respond to their point, not their grammar.

You had a few grammar mistakes in your post. :lol:

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)
Uh no they dont. I cant recall a single paper where a teacher went "Well Badger, you had the best ideas, best argument, but you misspelled a word so I gave you an F."

And even better, once you get to a certain level, someone proof reads all your s***.

Unless now we are saying the editor is more important than the author???

But hey, if you want to show off a bunch of spelling bee awards, thats your call. Like I said, Ive never cared about spelling, never will. Say Im bad at it, I dont care lol.

I agree. The smartest person I have ever met in my life is one of the worst spellers you could imagine. Some spellings are beyond ridiculous but he spells as it sounds, and he has always used the same line as you, spelling correctly is for his secretaries.

Spelling is about memorization,not intelligence.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
It wasn't a spelling mistake or a grammatical error. He was using the wrong word over and over. If I was using the wrong word, I would hope somebody would point it out.

Ach, it was more like the inappropriate use of 'e'.

Which seems quite apt, really.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
It wasn't a spelling mistake or a grammatical error. He was using the wrong word over and over. If I was using the wrong word, I would hope somebody would point it out.

Agreed. I'd be embarrassed to keep misspelling a word over and over again.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
All of them will hasten your death. What many don't realize about pot is that it's cardiac equivalent is 5 cigarettes. So if you smoke pot you will have a heart attack.

It also really limits your healing ability. It has a medical value because it basically eliminates inflammation and something like glaucoma is helped by this. However, it really limits regular healing and takes 2-3 times as long for normal injuries to heal.

The best redeeming quality is that it has a non-addictive quality that no other legal or illegal drugs of abuse have. I wouldn't say it's completely non-addictive, but the physical/biological aspect of it is so minimal that it's nice to think that most people who smoke it will retain their agency to stop it if they feel they aren't going down the right path. I've seen some people who use it as a crutch to get away from things and related uses, in which case they are at least psychologically addicted, so I don't want to see it is entirely benign in that regard.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
I have to agree with badger here, when people correct a spelling or punctuation error on the Internet, it's because they have nothing of substance to add to the conversation OR any valid response to the actual point that was being made.

Badger has the benefit here of being known as an intelligent guy, in which case I would have considered "correcting" him just so that he would know. While we like to pick on grammar as a substitute for ad hominem attacks during arguments, in this context I perceived it as just helping a brother out.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
OK, but the people I know are in their late 20s to mid 30s.

I know guys 40+ doing it, thanks to my profession. (even myself doing it every one in a while) Hard labor man.. for the druggies and alcoholics. :lol:

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
What guy? My secretary?

If you couldnt understand "heroin" versus "heroine" thats more on your reading comprehension and less on my lack of proofreading an internet post. Even when I get paid to write, there is someone who proofreads for me.

Ptac,

You have the study? Most studies Ive ever seen regarding marijuana have a problem in that many of the marijuana smokers are also cigarette smokers, so its hard to determine its impact alone.

Here are a couple of decent ones. I wish I would have saved the couple for which I'm looking. I can't remember the journals. It was specific to athletes. When I made the comment about "you will have a heart attack" that was meant for people who do it regularly. Something like once a week won't do it but the chronic users have a 30% increased chance of heart attacks compared to non-users.

mj.pdf

mj1.pdf

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
Here are a couple of decent ones. I wish I would have saved the couple for which I'm looking. I can't remember the journals. It was specific to athletes. When I made the comment about "you will have a heart attack" that was meant for people who do it regularly. Something like once a week won't do it but the chronic users have a 30% increased chance of heart attacks compared to non-users.

It's not marijuana that's the problem. It's the method of consumption. Vaporizing or ingesting marijuana isn't going to give anybody a heart attack.