White Sox Acquire RP Tony Pena from ARI for Brandon Allen

chetkincaid

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pena is the superior pitcher in terms of stuff. With a 95-96 mph fastball and a slider he throws from 84-89, Pena should, within the next couple years, hit 80 Ks/season. His slider can be sharp or it can be a slurve-type slow bender. Right now he’s at 23 Ks in 31 IP. He’s got a 2.84 ERA, a 1.11 WHIP, and a .227 OBA. His K/9 has been around 6.5 in his three MLB seasons, but it’s strange to see a hard-throwing reliever with such low OBA, OBP-allowed (.294), and SLG %-allowed (.336) totals plateau in the mid sixes. I think that’s a product of immaturity–Pena just doesn’t have a lot of experience.

The other problem is that Pena has had trouble commanding his pitches. Last year he averaged 14.3 pitches/inning, and this year he’s stalled at 14.6. But that’s still better than Lyon, who, at 15.1, is right at his career average of 15.7.

Pena is 6-2, 219. He’s got a closer’s body, a closer’s mentality, and closer-type stuff. If he can be solid the rest of the year, I think he could be closing in 2009. Lyon, who just notched his 20th straight scoreless appearance, is a free agent in ‘09. Pena is making $400 K in ‘08, and isn’t arbitration-eligible till 2010. And he can’t become a free agent till 2013. With Chad Qualls pitching well, the Diamondbacks don’t have much incentive to hand Lyon a contract. Qualls works the eighth, and Pena works the ninth.

2008 is only Pena’s 4th season as a professional pitcher. He was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2002; he went from AA in ‘05–his first minor-league season–to pitching for Arizona in ‘06. So it’s very possible that he’s still learning at the MLB-level. He’s not unlike Rafael Soriano, who could’ve been a great closer as early as 2004 had he not undergone TJ surgery.

Link

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
I fail to see how this improves the team this year or for the next few years.

Pena is not the answer to any question other than: "Name a failed reliever who gives up runs in the 7th inning."

That's exactly what his role will be next year, that of 7th inning set-up man.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
we may overvalue Allen a bit, but his power is real. Just looked at what he did in B-Ham last year in so few at-bats, and mind you B-Ham is a brutal hitter's park. He also is pretty darn athletic at first base and really has cut his strikeouts down. I just don't understand how a guy like Shelby can't net you a mediocre, 27-year-old reliever, because he probably could have.

Allen's HR/BIA% was more than fluky last year at B'ham and he definitely shouldn't have been considered untradeable (and obviously wasn't), but still, a f***ing reliever? Are you kidding us Kenny?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:31 AM)
So, he's replacing Dotel.

Yes...who we better trade if we're out of it come the deadline. I actually would be fine trading him even if we're in it, especially if a team like Florida views him as a closer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Frankly, that's exactly what this sounds like. Except we gave up more than Joe Borchard.

Except he's actually shown he can be really good before.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
Yes...who we better trade if we're out of it come the deadline. I actually would be fine trading him even if we're in it, especially if a team like Florida views him as a closer.

Good point.

And we know Florida has some good prospects.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)

KW better be trading Dotel for a couple of good prospects, then.

A few things:

1) If there was any doubt, Williams is buying barring a July collapse.

2) Pena probably replaces Dotel's role on the roster next season.

3) He's a power arm, 27 years old, and under the team's control until 2013. I'm sure Williams sees untapped potential here. I'm not excited about acquiring him, but the Sox have a good track record in getting the best out of some of these type guys.

I really think this is a set up move. I don't know if that set up move is surprising everyone and trading Jenks, or trading Dotel or putting Linebrink on the DL. Maybe we plan on moving Carrasco to the rotation? I don't know, but I really think this is a set up move for something else.

Plus, IIRC, Pena has some legit stuff, but has struggled to get good results. I'll take my chances with Coop, he has a good track record when it comes to fixing pitchers.

And I agree with others, Allen was pretty overrated on here. I thought he was a solid prospect, but not this future Adrian Gonzalez people were making him out to be. I thought he'd make sense as a part of a bigger package, but I don't mind it at all.