White Sox Acquire RP Tony Pena from ARI for Brandon Allen

chetkincaid

we may overvalue Allen a bit, but his power is real. Just looked at what he did in B-Ham last year in so few at-bats, and mind you B-Ham is a brutal hitter's park. He also is pretty darn athletic at first base and really has cut his strikeouts down. I just don't understand how a guy like Shelby can't net you a mediocre, 27-year-old reliever, because he probably could have.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:17 AM)
He has a career 114 ERA+ which is pretty good, and had a ridiculous 144 ERA+ in 2007. Strikes out a fair number, doesn't walk a ton. Decent stuff it seems.

Throws about 95 mph with average offspeed stuff. He's easily one of the bigger bullpen names available.

Pena has a great arm and Allen was overrated by a lot of people. Sox have a lot of guys that play 1st/3B and Pena is a young guy that fits and can replace one of Dotel/Linebrink.

I liked ALlen but didn't love him like others did. Viciedo and Flowers both project much better and one of them will probably end up playing 1B. Plus you have Phegley and there is a guy named Paul Konerko whose been pretty good and still has at least a few good years left.

Oh and did I mention 1st baseman aren't that difficult to find in general so again, it isn't that huge of a deal to trade a 1st base prospect unless he's a top 50 spect and Allen isn't that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
I like it. We need another RHP reliever for next year when Dotel's gone and possible Jenks. Allen was incredibly overrated on this site, and he didn't build off of the power he showed last year when he was promoted to AA.

I feel the exact same.

People are getting too worked up over a 24 year old 1B prospect.. Allen was expendable, and we need relief help right now as well as next season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Pena has a great arm and Allen was overrated by a lot of people. Sox have a lot of guys that play 1st/3B and Pena is a young guy that fits and can replace one of Dotel/Linebrink.

I liked ALlen but didn't love him like others did. Viciedo and Flowers both project much better and one of them will probably end up playing 1B. Plus you have Phegley and there is a guy named Paul Konerko whose been pretty good and still has at least a few good years left.

Oh and did I mention 1st baseman aren't that difficult to find in general so again, it isn't that huge of a deal to trade a 1st base prospect unless he's a top 50 spect and Allen isn't that.

I think this is a big part of not hating the deal, but seriously, Pena is mediocre. Allen could have been in a bigger package or certainly netted you a better overall player than a 27-year-old reliever with average numbers.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Pena not pitching well of late: Diamondbacks reliever Tony Pena allowed an earned run in an inning of work Tuesday at Cincinnati. He has allowed earned runs in five of his last 10 appearances.

(Updated 07/01/2009).

Fantasy Analysis

Pena allowed multiple runs in three of those outings and has seen his ERA balloon to 4.36. Pena has the potential to be one of the best setup men in baseball and could even be in line for a few saves this season, but Fantasy owners should not have him active if it can be avoided through his struggles.

(Updated 07/01/2009).

This kid can THROW the ball and he has terrific control, problem is that there is a line for the closers spot in Arizona. I have picked him up on the WW and am guessing that he will be the CLOSER by July. (by kid_at_heart 03/21/2009 5:19 pm EST)

It's July... Pena can hurl but this is the 3rd year in a row his ERA and WHIP are heading in the wrong direction. Starting to get a Ryan Wagner/Jose Capellan feel from him. (by ipstaff 07/06/2009 5:31 pm EST)
CBS Comments

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
I think this is a big part of not hating the deal, but seriously, Pena is mediocre. Allen could have been in a bigger package or certainly netted you a better overall player than a 27-year-old reliever with average numbers.

and you know this......how?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)

Relievers have a lot of trade value. Especially ones with set-up man stuff. I do think the Sox would have been better off using Allen in a bigger trade to net us a young corner outfielder though.

But one of Phegley/Flowers/Viciedo will be at 1st long-term and I think two of the three will end up having better major league careers than Allen (if not all 3).

Scouting Report

Assets

* Has a scorching fastball that can simply overpower some hitters. Also possesses a fairly cool demeanor on the mound.

Flaws

* A lack of accuracy with off-speed stuff leads to walks and to hitters poaching his fastball. Sometimes his heater can be too straight. Sometimes relies too much on the fastball.

Career Potential

* Above-average closer if he can polish his approach.

Link.