White Sox Acquire RP Tony Pena from ARI for Brandon Allen

chetkincaid

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
This move also might signal that the Sox view Viciedo as a future first baseman.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
or flowers as a 1b.

I think you guys are on to something with them viewing one of their power hitters moving over to 1B eventually. Viciedo might be a target, or we could see something like Dye getting resigned and moved to 1B as well, with a shuffle in the OF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Frankly, that's exactly what this sounds like. Except we gave up more than Joe Borchard.

It is interesting because with his strikeout rate, and his ginormous power, Borchard might be a great comparision for Allen. He seems to be getting his average and walks up, but he still has a pretty big hole in his bat. It is also scary that he is on pace for only about 20 homers this year.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
I really think this is a set up move. I don't know if that set up move is surprising everyone and trading Jenks, or trading Dotel or putting Linebrink on the DL.

Dotel seems the most likely to be on the move. And as I said earlier, that may be to replace him later this month or this winter. Linebrink hasn't pitched that poorly over the past couple of weeks, so I wouldn't expect a DL stint. But who knows.

Maybe we plan on moving Carrasco to the rotation?

I hope not. The guy's been f'n dealing all season in long relief. Leave him there.

Although Poreda to the rotation, Richard back to the 'pen, and Colon DFA'd would make sense.

Allen had and .825 OPS at Birmingham and was slugging under .500 as a first baseman. He didn't draw a walk in 15 games for Charlotte. He was wildly overrated on this site. Sure, we maybe could have included him as part of a package for someone like Halladay, but we added a big-league arm, maybe one with room for improvement, and now have a replacement for Dotel. Hawk always says today's game is about having the best bullpen. What AL Central team has a better bullpen than ours?

Yeah, this could very well be a move to get rid of Dotel. He seems to have probably a similar amount of value as Pena does, but we know we won't get draft picks for him, and this way we'll save money. Plus, Pena has the potential to be a lot better.

However, I'm not gonna lie... I wouldn't mind making a blockbuster trade involving Jenks.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
What a shocker that would be... us overvaluing our spects... say it isn't so. :lolhitting

:lolhitting :notworthy

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
This is why you don't fall in love with prospects.

:notworthy

The advantage of coming in late. I don't have to type much.

QUOTE (nyck170 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Allen had and .825 OPS at Birmingham and was slugging under .500 as a first baseman. He didn't draw a walk in 15 games for Charlotte. He was wildly overrated on this site. Sure, we maybe could have included him as part of a package for someone like Halladay, but we added a big-league arm, maybe one with room for improvement, and now have a replacement for Dotel. Hawk always says today's game is about having the best bullpen. What AL Central team has a better bullpen than ours?

It's still a very odd move on the surface. Everyone knows that Birmingham's park isn't too great for the hitters, and his struggles in Charlotte can only be evaluated so much because of the sample size. I thought he had more value than a 27 year old RP with a 4.23 ERA that doesn't really have a spot in our bullpen right now.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
It's still a very odd move on the surface. Everyone knows that Birmingham's park isn't too great for the hitters, and his struggles in Charlotte can only be evaluated so much because of the sample size. I thought he had more value than a 27 year old RP with a 4.23 ERA that doesn't really have a spot in our bullpen right now.

Even I'll grant that Pena has more value than a simple 27 YO RP with a 4.23 ERA just based on stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
Even I'll grant that Pena has more value than a simple 27 YO RP with a 4.23 ERA just based on stuff.

His stuff hasn't gotten him much success in the past. I understand he has potential, but that doesn't make him any younger. If this signals a move of Dotel for prospects, then it makes a lot more sense.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:57 AM)
His stuff hasn't gotten him much success in the past. I understand he has potential, but that doesn't make him any younger. If this signals a move of Dotel for prospects, then it makes a lot more sense.

I've watched Pena a lot the last few years (especially in 2007 vs the Cubs). He throws hard but doesn't seem to miss a lot of at bats. His fastball is firm, but his slider sucks.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
I can agree with some of that, but lets face it, how are we gonna get work for all of Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink, Carrasco, and now Pena?

One thing I'll never complain about is having too many quality relievers.

I like this move a lot. I've seen Pena pitch quite a few times and the dude has a legit 8th-9th inning arm. There's a lot of value to be had in slotting an 8th/9th inning arm in the 6th/7th innings or having elite depth in the bullpen as trade fuel.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
If this signals a move of Dotel for prospects, then it makes a lot more sense.

I agree.

This signals a move toward next year if anything.

I just hope that Pena can pitch okay in the Cell, even though he's been so mediocre in the NL.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Yeah, this could very well be a move to get rid of Dotel. He seems to have probably a similar amount of value as Pena does, but we know we won't get draft picks for him, and this way we'll save money. Plus, Pena has the potential to be a lot better.

However, I'm not gonna lie... I wouldn't mind making a blockbuster trade involving Jenks.

I haven't been opposed to trading Jenks since 2007, but as of now, with Williams obviously intent on competing, it's just out of the question. Unless there's the once in a generation type of package for him that is impossible to reject.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
I never buy the concept of a "Move to setup a bigger move" because I can't remember the last time it actually happened. KW made this move because he wanted Tony Pena.

ding ding

White Sox acquire reliever Tony Pena from Arizona

By Dave van Dyck

The White Sox acquired relief pitcher Tony Pena from the Arizona Diamondbacks for minor league first baseman Brandon Allen, who was hitting .282 with eight homers at Double A Birmingham.

Pena, 27, was 5-3 with a 4.24 ERA in 37 appearances. He is expected to join the White Sox bullpen Wednesday. The Sox could make room for him by remoting lefty Kimmy Gobble or young left-hander Aaron Poreda, who is projected as a starter.

But don't look for the White Sox to be in serious contention for Toronto ace Roy Halladay. They do not want to trade their young core and also may be wary of taking on the $21 million still owed Halladay.