White Sox Acquire RP Tony Pena from ARI for Brandon Allen

chetkincaid

In that case, that makes him a little ahead of the normal AAA age pace right? So the "Allen sucks he's too old to be at that level" doesn't hold up.

Futuresox, baseball cube, minorleaguebaseball, etc.. all has him born as January 12,1986. Unless I can't count I'm assuming/taking a shot at the dark here that he's an early 23.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
Futuresox, baseball cube, minorleaguebaseball, etc.. all has him born as January 12,1986. Unless I can't count I'm assuming/taking a shot at the dark here that he's an early 23.

I believe he's February 12, 1986, because I remember noting he had the exact same birthday as me when he was drafted.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
In my opinion, Kenny just picked up one of the best relievers available, so he can control the market for relievers by trading someone like Dotel by the deadline. Kenny holds all the cards now, it will be hard for contending teams to pick up a bullpen arm by the deadline, so now we can sit back and wait for all the offers to pour in.

So, now we can trade Dotel for a lesser prospect than Allen? That makes no sense. KW isn't a guy who does precursor trades. I don't get this one. I love KW, but he has made a lot of bad trades in his tenure, in addition to the good ones. I don't particularly like the Swisher trade (either time) or the Vasquez trade (either time). Quentin, yes. I just don't get this one; we are a middle reliever away?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
You've explained to me why the D-Backs would want Brandon Allen. Now, please, explain to me how Tony Pena is a max return.
He's been an above-average reliever for 3 of the 4 years he's been in the majors (the one year he wasn't was his rookie year at the age of 24), posting an ERA+ of 144, 106, and 107. He has a very good arm and will likely replace Dotel next year, freeing up money for other players. He's only 27, and under team control for a while.

Now, please tell me what's so good about Brandon Allen? He's had exactly one year (2008) where he produced numbers you'd expect from a good 1B prospect (for comparison, Ryan Howard never hit below .270 in the minors, and never had lower than a .460 SLG.) His 2007 campaign was decent, but unspectacular (~.820 OPS), especially for a 1B. This year, he wasn't showing the power that got him on the map in 2008, even with an excellent offensive team offering protection, and was horrid in 53 AB in Charlotte, with absolutely no power (.358 SLG in a bandbox). Again, I liked Allen, but he's SEVERELY overrated on this message board.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
we go 88 years w/o a WS win, KW gets it done, and you guys rip every move he makes...makes me think you are all ungrateful bastages at times :) Go watch the Cubs and see what suffering is all about!!

Seriously... some of you guys need to get over yourselves.

Trust our GM to do his job... he is pretty good at it.

According to the Baltimore Sun here's something at least the Orioles discussed with KW. It doesn't really say if KW had interest or not:

Pie, the 24-year-old outfielder who has started just three of the Orioles' past 21 games, is eight for his past 20 with four RBIs while getting limited at-bats with the emergence of rookie Nolan Reimold in left field. According to sources, the Orioles discussed Pie with the Chicago White Sox in a potential deal revolving around third baseman Josh Fields, but it's not known how much interest, if any, the White Sox still have in the outfielder.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Well, I would imagine that Phegley and Flowers are going nowhere now.

Phegley isn't trade eligible.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
we may overvalue Allen a bit, but his power is real. Just looked at what he did in B-Ham last year in so few at-bats, and mind you B-Ham is a brutal hitter's park. He also is pretty darn athletic at first base and really has cut his strikeouts down. I just don't understand how a guy like Shelby can't net you a mediocre, 27-year-old reliever, because he probably could have.

Shelby couldn't net a high upside Major League reliever. Allen might have been able to get a bit more, but not by much. This is a guy with a falling stock that was projected as an average first baseman before that.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
I would rather have Chris Perez than Tony Pena, he's younger and has more upside. Plus supposedly the PTBNL in that deal is somebody good.

How does Perez have more upside?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Matt Thornton was a first round pick, who found his true potential by converting to relief and working with Don Cooper. Tony Pena was signed as an amateur free agent, and crafted into the pitcher he is now.

Pena wasn't draft eligible. He's from the Dominican.

I hope people realize that Peña is viewed as a developing closer prospect from his days in Az. He's not DJ Carrasco, who's ineffectiveness lately has probably also contributed to this deal.

So your saying Jenks will be gone soon Alex? :P Inside information!!! :lol:

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
I hope people realize that Peña is viewed as a developing closer prospect from his days in Az. He's not DJ Carrasco, who's ineffectiveness lately has probably also contributed to this deal.

Maybe we think Flowers can't catch, and he's more our future 1B/DH, and if that's the case and we wanted to move Brandon Allen right now while he still has a good deal of value, that's fine. But he had a lot more value than Tony Pena.

Don't forget the presence of Cooper, Juan Nieves, Alexei Ramirez, Contreras, Castro (now), Ozzie Guillen and family...this organization has always made Hispanic players feel very welcome and at home, whereas they feel alienated/segregated in many clubhouses.

Uribe was the favorite of many players, both black/white/Hispanic...maybe they can get through to this pitcher in a way other teams have failed before.

Now if we could somehow get Chapman...the odds of that happening with KW's comment (for the 100th time) on money/economics just went down to about 5-10%.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
Maybe we think Flowers can't catch, and he's more our future 1B/DH, and if that's the case and we wanted to move Brandon Allen right now while he still has a good deal of value, that's fine. But he had a lot more value than Tony Pena.

If kenny thought Flowers couldn't catch, he would have been traded already.

Meh, this sounds like a case of a prospect getting too hyped up but certain people and web sites. Besides, power hitting first baseman are pretty easy to come by. I like this move considering Linebrick has shown he is consistently awful in the second half.

I'm not gonna look through the entire 19 pages but I kinda like the trade. We've got a potential replacement for Dotel for next year and a couple more years after that, or sooner if Dotel is traded by the deadline.

Besides who knows if Allen would of been as good as some of us have hyped.

I think this is a decent gamble from Kenny.

Pena's a pre arbitration guy who the Sox control for 3 season after this, he's got good stuff, albeit control sounds like the main issue as it was with Mac, and with Dotel, they'll take the draft picks and let his $6M expire to use on a CF/DH/SP.

Allen I did like as a spect, because of Thome's age and Konerko's injury issues and thought he'd be ready to go from next season if need be. He's EXACTLY what the D-Backs needed though with Conor Jackson's issues.

But the Sox have had no issues finding first base prospects over the years, and Viciedo may end up there or even Fields if he gets his act together so they've got options.

Look if Pena can pitch as well as Matt Thornton has for the Sox, this is an excellent trade by Kenny and there's a good chance that could happen IMO.

Unfortunately, there's also a chance he could turn into Mike MacDougal v2.0.