White Sox Acquire RP Tony Pena from ARI for Brandon Allen

chetkincaid

allens best value was via trade....pena has upside and could become a solid 7th inning guy...i dont really envision allen as much of a regular....the biggest question is whos spot does he take? Gobble?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)
I never buy the concept of a "Move to setup a bigger move" because I can't remember the last time it actually happened. KW made this move because he wanted Tony Pena.

Yep, and his name was thrown around in some potential deals between the Sox and Dbacks the last few years (from sources who knew about the CQ deal before it happened).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)
Bulls***, Allen had enough of a track record and a strong enough skill set set to suggest success at a major league level. Too late now. Maybe David Cook will finally get promoted.

This is why you don't fall in love with prospects.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
I never buy the concept of a "Move to setup a bigger move" because I can't remember the last time it actually happened. KW made this move because he wanted Tony Pena.

Bartolo Colon?

Oh wait that was like 6 years ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
Even still, seems like a "Giving up on Allen" type of move to me.

Every team seems to have a 1st base prospect like him. He was doing nothing this season to justify being a top prospect, and I said this earlier today in the Halladay thread. The Sox are not going to get Halladay people...we don't match up with them if we don't trade Beckham.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)

I can agree with some of that, but lets face it, how are we gonna get work for all of Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink, Carrasco, and now Pena? Perhaps saying a bigger move was the wrong word, but I think something will happen within the next week or so. My guess is that Linebrink will go on the DL.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
With Allen gone, Cook can take back his crown of the undisputed most overrated "prospect" on this board.

It's like 4 posters. I'd say most don't consider him a prospect at all.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
With Allen gone, Cook can take back his crown of the undisputed most overrated "prospect" on this board.

I really don’t think Cook has a big league future. I just wanted him brought up to AAA, so we could advance a few more guys through the system without a 28 year old 1B/OF being in the way. Also, does anyone have Pena’s comparables from the latest Baseball Prospectus book? I’m always kinda curious about these things.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
Even still, seems like a "Giving up on Allen" type of move to me.

Seems more like Kenny is salivating over another power reliever again. Pena has legit closer's stuff and on talent alone is probably worth Allen but I'm very saddened by this. I think Allen is going to be a better player than people give him credit for, and now if we have Flowers penciled in at C, who is going to play 1B in the future?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
I can agree with some of that, but lets face it, how are we gonna get work for all of Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink, Carrasco, and now Pena? Perhaps saying a bigger move was the wrong word, but I think something will happen within the next week or so. My guess is that Linebrink will go on the DL.

This after Ozzie used him in every opportunity he got about a week or two ago? I don't see it.

I think this trade gives KW a ton of flexibility to make trades in the next month without hurting the 25 man roster too much while helping our future. Like many have said, Allen didn't fit into the plans with PK signed for a few more years. It's also likely he wouldn't have put up good enough numbers to be a legit DH in the next few seasons. If this means it's more likely Thome or Dye are back, then fine by me.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
Seems more like Kenny is salivating over another power reliever again. Pena has legit closer's stuff and on talent alone is probably worth Allen but I'm very saddened by this. I think Allen is going to be a better player than people give him credit for, and now if we have Flowers penciled in at C, who is going to play 1B in the future?

Fields?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
I think this trade gives KW a ton of flexibility to make trades in the next month without hurting the 25 man roster too much while helping our future. Like many have said, Allen didn't fit into the plans with PK signed for a few more years. It's also likely he wouldn't have put up good enough numbers to be a legit DH in the next few seasons. If this means it's more likely Thome or Dye are back, then fine by me.

Isn't PK only signed for 1.5 more years?

QUOTE (rockren @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
Does this move facilitate Flowers moving to 1B?

I think the world of Pena's stuff and I'm glad we're getting him. I just thought Allen was Thome's replacement next year...guess not.

Not really. We keep him at catcher until he shows he can't play there.

As for Thome's replacement, hopefully it's Dye next year. Also, I think KW was planning on keeping PK around past 2010 anyway.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:46 AM)

1st base is an extremely easy position to fill via free agency or trade.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)

Viciedo and Phegley are both options. Or a veteran we acquire/sign.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)

josh fields maybe...if he can ever figure out how to not strike out time after time.....