30th Anniversary of Disco Demolition Night

whtsoxfan

Being a BIG White Sox fan, I certainly wanted to see the second game be played and as usual, held out hope that it might actaully happen. But,we all knew that once the field got BLOWN UP that the likelihood of the second game was just not going to happen.

Where did you sit? I was in the Golden Box near the first base line. Hah, I think then, those seats cost $10.50 each!! (alot of money in those days, (thanks government for depreciating my money so intensely, jerks).

Go Coho Lips! (That was a comical name, not sure where it specifically came from).

Back then there used to be alot of things raining down on the Dan Ryan, mostly it was parited up Sox fans. Sweet.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
I don't think there are many on this website who were even born then. I was there with my dad and younger brother on the 3rd base side at Old Comiskey. WSI has a good article about it on their page and comments after that will bring back memeories.

Why could they not play the second game? I was only 7 at the time, it's foggy to me, although I remember it vaguely

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
I don't think there are many on this website who were even born then. I was there with my dad and younger brother on the 3rd base side at Old Comiskey. WSI has a good article about it on their page and comments after that will bring back memeories.

I was there that night of DD. At that time, the Sox sucked so they were willing to do something to get people into the stands. Boy they sure did do that!!

It was a bit surreal.

The fire in the upper deck and those climbing up and down the foul pole while 45 records were being flung as frisbees was a unique day.

Our country needs a bit more of that entrepreneurial spirit that we so greatly lack today. Today there is idiocracy and compliance. Heck, I bet the green movement would have been in an uproar over the fire in centerfield! Back in those days, there was a great deal more independence we all had as individuals. I am greatful that I grew up in those days, they are long gone and I somewhat pity kids growing up today that are just more or less robots, and told what to do and then do.

Nobody got hurt!! Not even close!! We didn’t know what to expect, they hype going into it was pretty big and the amount of people outside the park that couldn’t get in was huge.

I’d like to see more of this today. Nowadays, you have to be so politically correct while at the same time there is big brother and cameras watching you 24 hours a day, now that makes me SICK.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Why could they not play the second game? I was only 7 at the time, it's foggy to me, although I remember it vaguely

The playing field was destroyed. They couldn't play softball on it, let alone baseball. We ended up having to forfeit games after it because the field was screwed up so badly.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)

Read all about it at the link I just provided above, but suffice it to say with the fans mobbing the field , pulling the batting cage out of the CF bullpen and destroying it, stealing the bases and ripping up pieces of sod it wasn't a pretty picture.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 01:48 AM)
SportsCenter did a great piece on it today for those interested.

Hate to give ESPN any credit but they did a pretty good job with the piece. People who don't live in our world and don't know about it now do.

OK so a little weird but I'm next to positive that I was conceived that night. My parents went to the doubleheader, but left between games apparently a little scared by the goings-on. Almost 9 months to the day later, I was born. Maybe they weren't scared by the goings-on but extremely turned on? Steve Dahl musta really done it for my mom. Anyway, yeah.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
OK so a little weird but I'm next to positive that I was conceived that night. My parents went to the doubleheader, but left between games apparently a little scared by the goings-on. Almost 9 months to the day later, I was born. Maybe they weren't scared by the goings-on but extremely turned on? Steve Dahl musta really done it for my mom. Anyway, yeah.

Someone on the ESPN piece last night did mention that there was a couple having sex right behind 3rd base. Maybe that was... :headbang

I was 13 at the time and watched it on Channel 44. My family had tickets for the next days game and I was worried that they would cancel that game too.

When we were waiting to get into the park Harry Carey walked by us and commented how he didn't smell any "funny Smoke" today. There were pieces of records everywhere outside the park. I wish I would of picked some up and saved them. The field was still pretty trashed. We sat in the right field upper deck and there were broken seats all around us.

I am greatful that I grew up in those days, they are long gone and I somewhat pity kids growing up today that are just more or less robots, and told what to do and then do.

Nobody got hurt!! Not even close!! We didn’t know what to expect, they hype going into it was pretty big and the amount of people outside the park that couldn’t get in was huge.

I’d like to see more of this today. Nowadays, you have to be so politically correct while at the same time there is big brother and cameras watching you 24 hours a day, now that makes me SICK.

The ESPN piece was great. Funny to hear Harry and Bill Veeck singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame as the fans were burning up the field, trying to get them to stop. There was no hope. They weren't necessarily baseball fans, just out to run amok. Jimmy Piersall was funny on the ESPN piece as well, saying it remains a dark mark on Chicago and baseball. He was sickened by that evening.

Funny thing about you line about feeling sorry about kids growing up today. A lot of those kids have parents that were 20 or so during the Disco Demolition Days. Sad that they decided to be so protective of their kids. It's like they loved their childhoods, but were determined to run every moment of their kids' lives. Don't know how it got that way or why.