7/19 Sox vs O's 1:05pm CSN

knightni

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
I love this post. The fact he left him in to face Reimold was proof to me that he was sticking it to the fans.

Even if that's true, it was his job to perform. So, what happens if he got out of the inning without giving up runs? He'd find himself in more high leverage situation. Guillen wouldn't be able to say anything wrong.

Poreda filled up his diaper and it only proved Guillen right.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
The two walks and now 8 in 11 innings are exactly why he should be in the bullpen. He wouldn't last 4 innings regularly as a starter until he figures something else out.

And it's not like he's just missing the corners.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
We're now going on nearly 4 years without a major league-caliber starting center fielder. But I am confident that one of these days -- and maybe even before 2017 -- Kenny Williams will aggressively fill that spot. (Provided that, you know, "the market" will make that possible.)

We'll likely have to go through the growing pains with Jordan Danks out there soon, and I can't wait to see people freak out when he strikes out in 30 pct of his ABs while showing little power.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
He should have never been promoted. I know for a fact that Beckham was promoted as a power struggle between KW and Ozzie, but I have no idea why Poreda was promoted. If anything, the stint in the majors has hurt his trade value while potentially hurting his development. All you had to do is look at his walk numbers and pitches per innings in the minors to see that he wouldn't cut it up here.

He's a one pitch pitcher with no command, and that one pitch, is apparently only a slightly above average 92 mph fastball. He looks like a future loogy to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
What is our starting pitchers' ERA at now? Seems like it's probably gone up .25 points or so in the last 7 games.

Our lowest team ERA this year was like 3.96. That was only a couple of weeks ago. It's now up to 4.2 something.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
I really do believe that Colon will replace Poreda, and CQ will replace BA.

BA can't be sent down with Ozzie saying Quentin will be replaced for defensive reasons. I have a feeling it will be Fields that is sent down.

If the Yanks help us out today we are still 1.5 games back which is an awesome way to start the 2nd half. Call me Peter Possitive but were still in great shape going forward. Yeah Getz needs to improve his baseball IQ, Alexie needs to stop his double clutch and Beckham needs to continue to bend it. But lets face it, we have 3 infielders who are playing at their respective positions for the first time at the MLB level. The 3 of them are on the learning curve together which is very rare. With CQ being out and for us to be where were at is amazing. If KW could pull a rabbit out of his hat and bring us a Halladay type w/o giving up the farm its our division to win.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
So Ozzie is an idiot for not using Poreda and an idiot for using him. This was the exact opportunity I was talking about in a different thread where Poreda would have an opportunity to earn Ozzie's trust. Sorry, getting guys out in AA is a lot different than getting them out in the majors. In fact, Poreda would have an ugly ERA if he were in the position a lot of people want him to be in, that being in the rotation. He had a chance today and walked both guys he faced. I'm all for ripping Ozzie setting guys up to fail, but 2 batters 2 walks, that's on Poreda.

So you think putting Poreda in a situation in which he had to be perfect, with location, with the game on a line, needing two outs with the bases loaded..... Is a good test.

I would see a little bit of your point if he was getting even semi-regular work in a real game setting, not a spot start in some weak situation every week. If you haven't put Poreda in regular spots with runners on, and the game on the line, why do you make the jump when he has sat for almost two weeks into that spot unless you are Ozzie, just being Ozzie.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
He's a one pitch pitcher with no command, and that one pitch, is apparently only a slightly above average 92 mph fastball. He looks like a future loogy to me.

He'll be traded by next April, that's my prediction.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
LOL. People are blaming Ozzie because Jose, Aaron and DJ suck? lol

I don't think anyone is doing that. But, what good does ripping his players do? Why must he always talk negatively about players to the media? It's just stupid.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
BA can't be sent down with Ozzie saying Quentin will be replaced for defensive reasons. I have a feeling it will be Fields that is sent down.

Could be.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
If the Yanks help us out today we are still 1.5 games back which is an awesome way to start the 2nd half. Call me Peter Possitive but were still in great shape going forward. Yeah Getz needs to improve his baseball IQ, Alexie needs to stop his double clutch and Beckham needs to continue to bend it. But lets face it, we have 3 infielders who are playing at their respective positions for the first time at the MLB level. The 3 of them are on the learning curve together which is very rare. With CQ being out and for us to be where were at is amazing. If KW could pull a rabbit out of his hat and bring us a Halladay type w/o giving up the farm its our division to win.

I agree with everything but the last sentence. It's not like he's going to be able to fleece the Blue Jays.

This team always seems to mail it in when they've won the series.

Every interview I hear, players are out to "win series". Yeah, we get it, but you should sweep the Orioles when they're the worst road team in the AL and have a pitcher on the mound with a ERA above 5.