Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Think my 3 year old will like it?

They probably won't get the story or the emotion of it but it has a bunch of pretty animation and good music.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 03:28 AM)
bmags,

Brazil is PAL format.

Amazon.co.uk has PAL copies used of "Edmond" for under $2, + worldwide shipping under $4.

!!! what the EFF is PAL? Would I be getting a hard copy?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
!!! what the EFF is PAL? Would I be getting a hard copy?

PAL is the broadcast standard utilized throughout much of the world, and is 100% incompatible with NTSC, the broadcast standard used in the states. It's also incompatible with a third standard, SECAM, that is used here and there. Add the Region 1, 2, 3. . . DVD stuff on top of that and it becomes a total clusterf**k trying to get international commercial video titles to play nice on standard domestic hardware.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
PAL is the broadcast standard utilized throughout much of the world, and is 100% incompatible with NTSC, the broadcast standard used in the states. It's also incompatible with a third standard, SECAM, that is used here and there. Add the Region 1, 2, 3. . . DVD stuff on top of that and it becomes a total clusterf**k trying to get international commercial video titles to play nice on standard domestic hardware.

To break it down:

Film runs 24 frames per second. Video does not however. In Europe and the US, the standard is different. Video in the US runs 30 frames per second. This is commonly referred to as the NTSC standard. In Europe (and elsewhere), Video runs 25 frames a second. This is referred to as the PAL standard. For a long time, filmmakers in the US who chose to shoot video would rent PAL systems to utilize the 25 fps look, which many felt looked closer to film than 30 fps. Nowadays with the advent of HD and many cameras that shoot native 24 fps, this is not as widespread.

Region coding has nothing to do with frame rate. Region coding was invented so that studios could control what regions of the world had access to different titles at different times, so that they could roll a film in to theatres in Japan, and not have to compete wth people buying dvds of the same film from Amazon, hurting the box office. Laserdiscs were not region coded and this is what my friends and I would do, usually with foreign films that had been released in the States. You can buy Region-Free DVD Players online. I have two, and they play dvds from any country. They also weren't expensive.

FYI.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
LMAO either kyle or knightni is gonna look like a dickhead for calling losts kid the wrong sex.

LOL, I admitted I didnt know and followed suit with Brian and will edit my statement if he corrects me. Its no big deal, I have never met his child and we really havent talked about his child either, so I am not worried about it.

knight made the big deal about it, not me ;)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
LOL, I admitted I didnt know and followed suit with Brian and will edit my statement if he corrects me. Its no big deal, I have never met his child and we really havent talked about his child either, so I am not worried about it.

knight made the big deal about it, not me ;)

Yeah and knight made his like an official statement as fact LOL so its probably a girl.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
Keith talks about him on Facebook all the time.

Look, I dont follow everything Keith says on facebook. He says some hilarious "in the moment" stuff about his life that I occassionally comment on, but most of the time I look at my live feed and there are 300 status updates to wade through.

Keith, if you are reading this, and if you care, I AM SO SORRY I MISTOOK YOUR CHILD FOR A GIRL BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE SAID IT WAS A GIRL. I DIDNT MEAN IT, AND I HOPE YOU DONT UNFRIEND ME FOR THIS EGREGIOUS ERROR.

are we done now?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
To break it down:

Film runs 24 frames per second. Video does not however. In Europe and the US, the standard is different. Video in the US runs 30 frames per second. This is commonly referred to as the NTSC standard. In Europe (and elsewhere), Video runs 25 frames a second. This is referred to as the PAL standard. For a long time, filmmakers in the US who chose to shoot video would rent PAL systems to utilize the 25 fps look, which many felt looked closer to film than 30 fps. Nowadays with the advent of HD and many cameras that shoot native 24 fps, this is not as widespread.

Region coding has nothing to do with frame rate. Region coding was invented so that studios could control what regions of the world had access to different titles at different times, so that they could roll a film in to theatres in Japan, and not have to compete wth people buying dvds of the same film from Amazon, hurting the box office. Laserdiscs were not region coded and this is what my friends and I would do, usually with foreign films that had been released in the States. You can buy Region-Free DVD Players online. I have two, and they play dvds from any country. They also weren't expensive.

FYI.

Yeah, well. . . , NTSC is actually 29.97 fps, and not 30. So There!!

:D

The old-school A/V guys always joke about the quality of broadcast NTSC, and they say it stands for "Never The Same Color". :lolhitting

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
Look, I dont follow everything Keith says on facebook. He says some hilarious "in the moment" stuff about his life that I occassionally comment on, but most of the time I look at my live feed and there are 300 status updates to wade through.

Keith, if you are reading this, and if you care, I AM SO SORRY I MISTOOK YOUR CHILD FOR A GIRL BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE SAID IT WAS A GIRL. I DIDNT MEAN IT, AND I HOPE YOU DONT UNFRIEND ME FOR THIS EGREGIOUS ERROR.

are we done now?

OH MY GOD YOU SON OF A b****

Just messin with you, I actually have a girl.

Ok still messin with you. :)