Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This move only benefits us. It may hurt tonight but there was no gaurentee Richard was goign to continue on as he was. He wasnt reliable right now and even though he was pitching well - he couldve gone out and given up 9 earned and we wouldve all been callin for his head again.

It leaves us still scrambling for a 5 starter right now but if we can hang in for the next month and Peavy can come back. That'd be a big boast if we manage to make the playoffs. Not many 1-2 of Buehrle and Peavy.

At worst - we are hardly giving up on this season by only losing our 5 starter and we are going to essentially standpat if Peavy ends up not pitching. If we end up making it - great, if not, we bettered ourselves for next year and acquired an Ace while teams werent looking in his direction.

Next season - when he was healthy. Someone probably couldve and wouldve outbid us for him. Kinda sly by Kenny to me.

I think it was a nice deal for both teams. They get two pitchers who can start now and one for down the road. We get one of the best pitchers in baseball for a few years.

I'm so happy. I will now get drunk.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Those outfield fans better be prepared for some incoming bombs.

It'll just be hilarious if, by the time Peavy is ready to pitch, we're 6+ out of first place and would have just been better with Richard; and then after the season worry about Peavy.

2004 all over again with Contreras and Garcia coming on board.

Let's hope 2010 is a repeat of 2005.

Realistically, KW must know we're a long shot at the division this year, but that Peavy getting any August starts could be a huge lift. More than likely, we're just setting ourselves up for the offseason.

Reminds me a bit of the Vazquez deal, where we gave up Young instead of Anderson because of the money coming back our way...or the Thome deal for Rowand.

Now I don't expect $22 million like the Phillies sent, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was $7.5-12.5 million dollars at least, at least $3 million per year to get that contract out from under the Moores and their divorce.

Would have liked to keep Richard, but I can't really complain. He's only 28 (about to enter his prime), has about 5 years (4 or 5?) left on his contract, and the Pads are eating some of the contract. This move might not help us this year and it takes away 3 of our 4 best pitching prospects, but this move could be extremely beneficial in the future.

Good job KW. Also, if we are still competing come August, Peavy could possibly return and provide us an added boost.

if we can just stay with in about 4GB by sept 1st...i think the rotation can make up 4 games in september. we just need the bats to wake up and maybe this trade will be a wakeup call to them. im really excited.

Don't want to be a downer, but this is still worrisome. His future is cloudy with this type of injury and we didn't trade THAT much to get him. I hope he recovers fully. Let him sit out the entire season if you have to. We need Peavy to be on his game for us.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
Don't want to be a downer, but this is still worrisome. His future is cloudy with this type of injury and we didn't trade THAT much to get him. I hope he recovers fully. Let him sit out the entire season if you have to. We need Peavy to be on his game for us.

it's not an arm or shoulder injury, so I'm not as worried, but I 100% agree, I would have no problem with the Sox not pitching him until ST

I was hoping for Dan Haren or Felix Hernandez. I know that both were pretty much out of the question but a boy can dream, can't he?

With this trade it kind of feels like we were the only girl at the bar so Peavy went with us. Hopefully he can change my thoughts on him (right now I think he is overrated and built his stats in a crappy league).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
So, will Torres take the 5th spot while Colon is on the DL?

Also would have liked to see us grab a lefty reliever. I don't think we can count on Randy Williams for the long run.

I would like Torres to get the first shot for sure, he showed he has the know-how and the stuff to pitch in the bigs. I am guessing that mgmt feel decently comfortable with freddy's progress which makes me want to puke.