Fields playing worse in Minors than in the Majors

DaTank

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Hitters hit better at home and pitchers seem to pitch better at home...maybe that is what home field advantage means but I don't know.

Floyd is a flyball pitcher pitching in a bandbox and has an ERA 3.00 a game lower at home than on the road. I remember reading an article on amphetimine usage in major league baseball. The article basically said usage was rampant and with it now being tested for, one of the effects could be better home records for teams as they will be sleeping in their own beds etc. and the road teams wouldn't be quite as alert.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Floyd is a flyball pitcher pitching in a bandbox and has an ERA 3.00 a game lower at home than on the road. I remember reading an article on amphetimine usage in major league baseball. The article basically said usage was rampant and with it now being tested for, one of the effects could be better home records for teams as they will be sleeping in their own beds etc. and the road teams wouldn't be quite as alert.

I don't know what article said it, but from my experience it is true. The travel in the MLB is alot of mental wear and tear. The less you travel the better you will play (when the amphetamines are excluded). It's more about focus and concentration than anything else.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)

LOL, from the guy who continually finds reasons to doubt Floyd, now that he's proven you so very wrong, you come up with this?

Travelling for work all the time sucks. It has an effect on people. Could also be what teams he has pitched against, or that maybe he pitched on bad hitting days at the Cell, who knows.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
LOL, from the guy who continually finds reasons to doubt Floyd, now that he's proven you so very wrong, you come up with this?

Travelling for work all the time sucks. It has an effect on people. Could also be what teams he has pitched against, or that maybe he pitched on bad hitting days at the Cell, who knows.

?

All I'm saying is he's a flyball pitcher and check his splits. I offered perhaps one explanation for it. Consdering how everyone frets about a guy like Peavy coming to a "hitter's park", maybe checking White Sox pitchers splits might change an opinion.

The fact is Floyd is an excellent pitcher at home, and pretty mediocre on the road. 2.38 vs 5.38. That's a gigantic difference, especially considering USCF's reputation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
?

All I'm saying is he's a flyball pitcher and check his splits. I offered perhaps one explanation for it. Consdering how everyone frets about a guy like Peavy coming to a "hitter's park", maybe checking White Sox pitchers splits might change an opinion.

The fact is Floyd is an excellent pitcher at home, and pretty mediocre on the road. 2.38 vs 5.38. That's a gigantic difference, especially considering USCF's reputation.

There could be one other issue...the fact that Floyd had a terrible opening to the season and didn't get in a groove until June. He pitched mostly on the Road during April and May; he pitched 1 game at home in May, 3 on the road, in those 3 games his ERA was 9. Those number of runs given up will skew your season #'s like mad.

In June, his ERA was 1.63 at home and 0.61 on the road.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
There could be one other issue...the fact that Floyd had a terrible opening to the season and didn't get in a groove until June. He pitched mostly on the Road during April and May; he pitched 1 game at home in May, 3 on the road, in those 3 games his ERA was 9. Those number of runs given up will skew your season #'s like mad.

In June, his ERA was 1.63 at home and 0.61 on the road.

Then his first 2 starts in July on the road he was tatooed. He's given up 5 runs or more 7 times on the road and 1 time at home. 3 runs a game is a huge swing. Whatever it is, I think it does show that pitchers can thrive at USCF.

Edited by Dick Allen

With Felix Pie playing well, it seems like KW should've pulled the trigger on that deal. But of course we don't know why it didn't go down. Maybe The Orioles were the smart ones and didn't want Fields. I figured after they got Josh Bell, they wouldn't necessarily want Fields anymore.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
With Felix Pie playing well, it seems like KW should've pulled the trigger on that deal. But of course we don't know why it didn't go down. Maybe The Orioles were the smart ones and didn't want Fields. I figured after they got Josh Bell, they wouldn't necessarily want Fields anymore.

Maybe it never existed.

I think the Sox should let Josh go for HIS sake. I'm glad they moved him down because he was not helping the team but he did kind of get the shaft after being very successful two years ago just to be rewarded with a sending down then. He just might be one of those guys that a change of organization is the making of him.

QUOTE (farmuk @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
I think the Sox should let Josh go for HIS sake. I'm glad they moved him down because he was not helping the team but he did kind of get the shaft after being very successful two years ago just to be rewarded with a sending down then. He just might be one of those guys that a change of organization is the making of him.

Welcome to the site.

I'd say it's very, very likely that Josh gets moved this offseason. Disappointing because of all the potential that we'll be failing to harvest, but really, he's not taking 3b away from Beckham and we're very unlikely to move any out of Getz, Nix, or Ramirez this offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
I'd say it's very, very likely that Josh gets moved this offseason. Disappointing because of all the potential that we'll be failing to harvest, but really, he's not taking 3b away from Beckham and we're very unlikely to move any out of Getz, Nix, or Ramirez this offseason.

I think Josh will retire after this season. He almost quit after hitting 23 homers in a short season, why wouldn't he quit after a season like this.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
hard to believe that no one would want a guy hitting .294 with a .368OBP in AAA.

If he keeps this up then someone should pick him up over the offseason. He still has the chance to be another Mark Reynolds. The Pirates could be an option as they're probably not far from pulling the plug on Andy LaRoche and even if they don't they could find time for a change-of-scenery project with potential who can play the IF corners.

You have to think the Sox will release Fields in the offseason, or at least make a token trade for a similar AAAA type guy or a non-prospect in the lower levels. The thing that bothers me about Fields isn't so much his inability to hit, but his attitude. Talking about how you almost quit after your first year in the majors and then moaning several times about being benched despite a microscopic average are not signs of a mature team player. I am glad he is hitting better in Charlotte and I do wish him the best...just not with the Sox.

with the probability of the sox not spending much this offseason after the peavy and rios acquisitions, the only way id give up on fields this offseason is if i'm absolutely sold on chris getz or jayson nix at 2b.....and i'm not sold on either