41 members have voted

1. 1. Strasburg

• Boras Puppet
    • soon-to-be well paid pitcher

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
Really? The Nats put the cuban-style out clause in there? Is that even allowed for players that are drafted?

Oh I'm not sure. How does it work when a player signs a 4 year major league contract? I assume his service time starts immediately since it is a major league contract?

I guess he'd still be eligible for arbitration and the standard 6 years, its just that his clock starts immediately?

I'm not sure so I'm asking.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 12:53 AM)
Really? The Nats put the cuban-style out clause in there? Is that even allowed for players that are drafted?

He is under the Nats' control for 6 years. Boras was on WFAN earlier today saying that Strasburg's deal is basically worth $19m guaranteed by the Nats just tendering him an offer in those final two years and if Strasburg pitches as many think it will be worth much more.

This is also the same for Dayan and Alexei as was referenced by Hahn.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Oh I'm not sure. How does it work when a player signs a 4 year major league contract? I assume his service time starts immediately since it is a major league contract?

I guess he'd still be eligible for arbitration and the standard 6 years, its just that his clock starts immediately?

I'm not sure so I'm asking.

I'm pretty sure his service time starts when he's called up. That's why Boras had to insert the "Call up this kid this year" clause for Andrew Miller, for example.

Chisox,

Im pretty sure service time starts when you are called up. (Im not 100% sure but my guess is the way that "service time" is defined is time on the 25 man roster.)

Tex,

Boras isnt doing anything, teams have just adjusted to his negotiation tactics. If you constantly push teams to the limit and piss them off, they are eventually going to stop giving into your demands. Some teams have refused to even negotiate with Boras, which limits the potential suitors for his clients.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
If the Nationals' offer was only $12.5 million, they should be ashamed and boycotted. I in no way think they should even approach the number Boras wants, but I'd think $20 million in a market like Washington would be worth it given the fact that they failed to sign their pick from last year as well.

I'm glad I follow a team that cares.

Come on guy! Show some respect to my team. Ha, ha , ha! Just kidding!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
I'm pretty sure his service time starts when he's called up. That's why Boras had to insert the "Call up this kid this year" clause for Andrew Miller, for example.

Yes, service starts when you are with the big club. Time in the minors do not count even with a Major League contract.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
Strasburgs first AFL start? Pretty Good.

His second start? Blown the F*** up

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...9&sport=MLB

If you know a fastball is coming, you can hit it as a major league baseball player, well unless your name is Josh Fields.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
If you know a fastball is coming, you can hit it as a major league baseball player, well unless your name is Josh Fields.

He throws a lot more than just a fastball. And his fastball moves very well. He's got a plus curve and a good to plus change. Stras is the real deal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
He throws a lot more than just a fastball. And his fastball moves very well. He's got a plus curve and a good to plus change. Stras is the real deal.

The first time I saw video on him I came away more impressed with his change than anything else. If he can throw that pitch with any consistency.... wow. But yeah, the slider and curve are sick too, and that fastball is devastating. He's easily got what Hawk would call "Nintendo stuff."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)

His curve is what hurt him his last start. He hung a few supposedly to different batters. (that's the pitch C.J. rocked off him.. hanging curve)

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
The first time I saw video on him I came away more impressed with his change than anything else. If he can throw that pitch with any consistency.... wow. But yeah, the slider and curve are sick too, and that fastball is devastating. He's easily got what Hawk would call "Nintendo stuff."

He's going to put Justin Verlander's "nintendo stuff" to shame. He's a beast.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)

2 of the 3 HR gave up in AFL start 2 were hanging curves. His slider hits 90, he has sick stuff. I'm not saying he can't miss, but he's certainly more than a fastball.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
His curve is what hurt him his last start. He hung a few supposedly to different batters. (that's the pitch C.J. rocked off him.. hanging curve)

He's going to put Justin Verlander's "nintendo stuff" to shame. He's a beast.

Agree. Calling that guy's repertoire a bunch of "plus" pitches is an understatement. The guy has at least 3 pitches with the potential to be plus-plus IMO. The fastball and the slider are pretty much already there and that change could get there too. The guy is just awesome. I really hope he doesn't get hurt because I want to see what this kid can do once he learns how to pitch in the Majors.

I don't know who rocked him on what, but I recall reading a quote from Stephen himself that he "has a plus fastball" and hitters know its coming. That was his explanation for what took place.