Jon Garland has cleared waivers according to FoxSports

DaveBrown85

I got this from espn mlb rumors.

"Diamondbacks right-hander Jon Garland has cleared trade waivers, according to a report on FoxSports.com.

The question will be if any team would be willing to take on Garland's hefty contract, which has a minimum of $4 million remaining. The Fox report says finances could prevent Garland from being unloaded."

I think that if he didnt have that much money take a shot cause i dont think Jose and Freddy are going to fair to well.

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
I got this from espn mlb rumors.

"Diamondbacks right-hander Jon Garland has cleared trade waivers, according to a report on FoxSports.com.

The question will be if any team would be willing to take on Garland's hefty contract, which has a minimum of $4 million remaining. The Fox report says finances could prevent Garland from being unloaded."

I think that if he didnt have that much money take a shot cause i dont think Jose and Freddy are going to fair to well.

why stop the 05 reunion tour at Pods and Freddy??? I'd like to see me some Guch at 2nd base while we're at it!!

Man, 1.44 WHIP, 11 losses in the NL, and it's not like the NL West is loaded with offense.

I wonder if he could be gotten on the real-cheap (like $2 mil or so) this offseason as a bridge to Hudson, with him being interested as a method of trying to get his career back on track.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
Man, 1.44 WHIP, 11 losses in the NL, and it's not like the NL West is loaded with offense.

I wonder if he could be gotten on the real-cheap (like $2 mil or so) this offseason as a bridge to Hudson, with him being interested as a method of trying to get his career back on track.

I don't mind the idea of bringing in a cheap starting pitcher to act as a temporary one-year bridge to Hudson, but I just don't want it to be Garland. Or El-Duque (in case the discussion finds its way back to him). There has to be another starting pitcher available on the market not named those two that could equal their production.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
I don't mind the idea of bringing in a cheap starting pitcher to act as a temporary one-year bridge to Hudson, but I just don't want it to be Garland. Or El-Duque (in case the discussion finds its way back to him). There has to be another starting pitcher available on the market not named those two that could equal their production.

Of course, just depends on what you want to gamble on. Erik Bedard, Justin Duchsherer, perhaps someone like Ben Sheets are guys coming off of injuries, there are vets like Mike Hampton and Brad Penny who may earn a little more than that but not terribly much, etc. If you want a stopgap though, it's "Is the guy coming off injury or is he old or did he stink last year".

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
I'm to the point I'd rather have nothing and lose than acquire any player that has left out 2005 White Sox team.

Garland is gone and never coming back. He wasn't resigned for a reason. Move on.

He was looking at a long term eight figure commitment (thinking in the mentality before the economy collapsed)and the Sox had younger cheaper alternatives?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
Garland would be a good 5th starter if Coop could get him back to form.

If not, eh, I won't cry over him.

Though he'd need a new number.

52 and 20 are all taken...lol.

Maybe he can go with like...54?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
Garland's just bad now. He has a medicore ERA in the NL, so eh...

Not to mention his 1.51 WHIP with the Angels last year. They didn't even put him on the playoff roster.

After 2006, I was convinced that Jon would never be anything more than a mediocre #3 or halfway decent #4. I'm glad that we had him during his productive years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
He was looking at a long term eight figure commitment (thinking in the mentality before the economy collapsed)and the Sox had younger cheaper alternatives?

Shhh, your quoting facts there pahds. :lol: