Are the Sox done?

VAfan

I don't know if Peavy will give us a morale boost.

Mark's perfect game didn't give us a morale boost.

The Rios acquisition didn't exactly light us on fire, though he's been OK.

We've had some exciting wins where we come right back and lose. I don't think our team is capable of rah rah morale boosts.

We basically need good pitching, make that great pitching the rest of the way, if Peavy gives us great pitching, awesome.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
We're not "dead" yet. But start to measure us up for the body bags because we will be by the time that road trip is over.

Yeah since we can't beat any good teams from the AL east....wait, right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Well, the odds are not looking that great.

On paper, we should be better now than last year's team, but we're certainly not proving that on the field of play.

It just doesn't "feel" like we have the team to get it done this year, but Minnesota really handed it back to us the last week of the season after we'd been swept up there and things were looking really, really bleak.

11-12, 10-13, 9-14....those look like the three most LIKELY records to come out of this upcoming stretch (the Bataan Death March of games, like Minnesota's road trip during the GOP Convention).

Detroit is back close to their high water mark of the season, and they're showing the ability to rally (in two games this week, ironic, because the White Sox were ALSO able to knock out former pitcher Aardsma, our ONLY come from behind victory of the season in late innings, amazing!), at least at home, we're they're winning .667 of their games.

They're not a good road team, 25-36. We've play fairly well this season on the road, but it's expecting too much for Peavy to just come in and pitch like an ace and for all the cogs of the machine to suddenly click. We're one of those teams that appears to be better than it really is, the opposite of 2005...a team that just knew how to get it done and had the confidence that nearly every 2 and especially 1 run lead was their game for the taking. Where the team was much better than the sum of all its individual parts but a well-oiled machine that just knew how to get it done.

We've had a couple of nice runs since May, but those were followed up by implosions against sub .500 competition when we should have been putting ourselves 10-12 games over .500 and squarely into the thick of things.

This mentality of waiting for the Tigers to lose or choke when they're getting such good starting pitching on a consistent basis from Verlander (really the best AL pitcher since the first month of the season), Jackson and Porcello and surprising contributions from rookies like Thomas and Raburn (we've been able to produce one rookie OFer in years to put up an 800+ OPS for the Sox), the Jackson trade (stroke of genius), releasing Sheffield, winning the biggest games of the season against us (particularly the DeWayne Wise out at home, or not, game)...

You can't really make ANY argument at this point that we deserve to WIN the division. If we play better the next 35-40 games and beat DET, great, but I don't see them imploding (barring a pitching injury) like MINN did down the stretch, especially at home, where they've had wonderful fan support nearly all season long.

Holy.

I didn't even begin to read it. Honestly, that post is way too long for this thread.

Story goes that the road trip means everything. If the Sox are respectable on the roadie (5-5, 6-4, even 4-6, somewhere in that territory), they have a good shot. If they go 3-7 or 2-8 (which is what I am counting on, the 2-8), they have a long road to go. There is a ton of talent still on this roster, and there is absolutely nothing stopping them but themselves and injuries.

If they want to win the ugly bride that is the AL Central, it's there for the taking. If they don't, so be it. They're ready next year too.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 03:03 AM)
True, the Sox seem to play to the level of their competition.

Which is very frustrating.

Everyone is saying this, the broadcasters, even Brooks Boyer said it. I know if Jerry Manuel were managing the team, he would get some heat for it. I wonder why Ozzie gets a free pass. Isn't he supposed to be a great motivator? If its Greg Walker's fault guys don't hit, shouldn't it be Ozzie's fault if they aren't mentally prepared to play? If the current roster can't use their current status as a second place team on the outside looking in to the playoffs as motivation to get up to play teams they should walk all over, it makes you think the Sox need to make several changes.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Everyone is saying this, the broadcasters, even Brooks Boyer said it. I know if Jerry Manuel were managing the team, he would get some heat for it. I wonder why Ozzie gets a free pass. Isn't he supposed to be a great motivator? If its Greg Walker's fault guys don't hit, shouldn't it be Ozzie's fault if they aren't mentally prepared to play?

or the lack of intensity in the third game of a series when going for a sweep!

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
or the lack of intensity in the third game of a series when going for a sweep!

That's why I thought Friday night's loss was no big deal. They have a much better chance to win today because of it. Chances are, if they won Friday, they would lose today. Its been the MO of the team.

They are done. Due mostly to inconsistencies, dumb mistakes, and an inability to take advantage of situations (sweeps, winning when Detroit loses, LOB etc.)

But, because the Tigers aren't that good, the Sox will frustratingly always be only 1-3.5 games out until the last week of the season, giving us the illusion that they are not done. They have Paula Abdul syndrome.... "2 steps forward, 2 steps back...."

(Yes, I just rocked an "Opposites Attract" reference)

All told, I am excited for 2010, and full seasons of Rios and Peavy as well as second years of Beckham and Getz...

Mark Buehlre since his perfect game is 0-4?

Lost season series to Baltimore, a truly bad team, 5-4.

Barely ahead of KC on the season series, 8-7. Same horrible record against Cleveland.

The only AL teams were are ahead of on the year by more than a game are NYY, TB, and the Angels.

The big boppers in our lineup -- Dye and Konerko -- have stunk since the ASB. Beckham is having a slump. Alex Rios can't get a big hit. Mark Kotsay is hitless so far with men in scoring position. Scotty Pods has been picked off how many times?

I just don't see this team turning it around. It is the antithesis of the 2005 team. That team was great in 1-run games. Played excellent defense. Had consistent starting pitching. Led games early and held on. This team plays very poorly in 1-run games. Has horrible defense. Has inconsistent starting pitching, even from its top 3 guys.

I'm a die-hard Sox fan, and right now I'm dying watching this team play ball.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
Mark Buehlre since his perfect game is 0-4?

Lost season series to Baltimore, a truly bad team, 5-4.

Barely ahead of KC on the season series, 8-7. Same horrible record against Cleveland.

The only AL teams were are ahead of on the year by more than a game are NYY, TB, and the Angels.

The big boppers in our lineup -- Dye and Konerko -- have stunk since the ASB. Beckham is having a slump. Alex Rios can't get a big hit. Mark Kotsay is hitless so far with men in scoring position. Scotty Pods has been picked off how many times?

I just don't see this team turning it around. It is the antithesis of the 2005 team. That team was great in 1-run games. Played excellent defense. Had consistent starting pitching. Led games early and held on. This team plays very poorly in 1-run games. Has horrible defense. Has inconsistent starting pitching, even from its top 3 guys.

I'm a die-hard Sox fan, and right now I'm dying watching this team play ball.

Just when you think they're dead.... they'll pull you back in! Just wait... :gosoxretro:

I'm happy this week is here for 2 reasons:

1. This team will get worked over and be 5 games out and I can be happy that its now football season or...

2. This team will have a great trip, pull within a game of first and give us hope(probably false) for the last month of the season.

I said it before, the Tigers and Sox arent going to win this division by winning. One of these teams will lose it by losing 10 of 15 and this road trip could be our chance to lose it.

I always hope, but it will never happen, that the posters who say the Season is OVER and this team is DEAD put their "money where their mouths" are...

Stop posting.

Stay away from the White Sox since there is no reason to watch them or talk about them until the off-season.

The rest of us will engage in non-hyperbolic discussions about an underachieving team in a very winnable division. Knowing full well that once playoffs are reached anything could happen.

Thank you and I hope to see you back in in time for the Winter Meetings. Until then have a great Aug/Sept away from the White Sox.

:)

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
I always hope, but it will never happen, that the posters who say the Season is OVER and this team is DEAD put their "money where their mouths" are...

Stop posting.

Stay away from the White Sox since there is no reason to watch them or talk about them until the off-season.

The rest of us will engage in non-hyperbolic discussions about an underachieving team in a very winnable division. Knowing full well that once playoffs are reached anything could happen.

Thank you and I hope to see you back in in time for the Winter Meetings. Until then have a great Aug/Sept away from the White Sox.

:)

Did you steal this from me? I posted the exact same thing last year around this time :)

I'm not ready to give up the ghost just yet but losing series to bottom-feeders like Baltimore is unacceptable.

There's no reason we shouldn't win the division this year; beyond that, I'm not gambling on it. But crap games like today don't bode well for us.

We've got enough POTENTIAL talent; does anybody really think there's serious holes anymore?

What we do with it is another story; 2004 comes to mind.

We need, as somebody here said last week, a monster run--some kind of long winning streak, which we haven't had yet this year.

The good about the sox are they are a hot stretch away from taking 1st place. This team has played inconsistently all season long and if they could finally put it together when it means something we could be looking at our 2nd straight division title.

However, the same can be said about the other side of the coin. They are one bad stretch away (this week) from being out of it. Maybe they will never put it together because they are just unable to and really are just a .500 team.

As a sox fan I am happy they are in contention, very happy. I am also very frustrated with their inconsistent play because we all know they can do better. I have accepted the fact that on any given day they can come through with a big win or put up a big fat ugly L so I no longer hang my head when I see it like I was earlier in the season. I am going along for the ride and hope they come out on top. If not, then I'm very excited about next seasons team.

Many of us never thought this team would be competing for the division this time of the year. We started the season with Fields, Getz, and Wise and another hole in the rotation by trading away the underachieving, but good starter in Javy (I'll admit I wanted his head). We now have our future at 3B, a good CFer, and an ace in Peavy all while continuing to develop our farm system. For a team who was getting some young talent infused for the future I'd say this season has been pretty good. I'll be rooting for my sox until the end. So with that said... :headbang :gosox1:

Hard to say...but I'm tired of putting so much emotion into this thing only to get kicked in the nuts every other day losing to s*** teams. Personally I think they're done....and saying that I'm hoping it's just reverse psychology. But I've seen no real spark for the last month from this club. Thank god bears football is back is all I can say right now.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
Hard to say...but I'm tired of putting so much emotion into this thing only to get kicked in the nuts every other day losing to s*** teams. Personally I think they're done....and saying that I'm hoping it's just reverse psychology. But I've seen no real spark for the last month from this club. Thank god bears football is back is all I can say right now.

Amen.