Financial News

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Me either.

And I think Bass Pro is buying Cabelas, so good luck with sports authority and dicks trying to compete.

That's an interesting acquisition.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Noted commie rag the USA Today...

They are paying their ceo enormous sums of money to be the latest in a string of people riding the company into the ground. She hasn't been very good at this job, so luring her away with dump trucks of money wasn't actually a good idea. CEO pay in this country is ridiculous and this is just another example of how it gets to this point.

We don't agree on much, but we absolutely agree on this point. My exception is I view CEO pay of people who founded a company much different vs. those who become stewards of a long-time, solid company.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)

Sports Chalet also recently announced they were closing all stores. As an FYI, last week Sports Authority announced they were closing all stores (blamed minimum wage laws, amongst other things...such as online retailers and "showrooming" or whatever you want to call it when people go to the store to look at product but than buy online).

That said, Dicks and other's might purchase some of the stores.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
We don't agree on much, but we absolutely agree on this point. My exception is I view CEO pay of people who founded a company much different vs. those who become stewards of a long-time, solid company.

It took me a while to get to this point but . . .

I even object to founders who have employees working at poverty rates while they make millions times more. Or founders earning millions while their employees qualify for benefits like child care, food stamps, etc. At some point they have been repaid for their risk, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)

Relatedly, last week the founder of Chobani announced to his workers that he was giving them a 10% stake in the company.

My friend works for a major engineering firm that's employee-owned. Works a ton, but from what I gather great pay and fantastic benefits.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
I can't say I've noticed Menards remodeling? The stores in Bolingbrook, Homer Glen and Crest Hill or Romeoville are all laid out identically and the CH/R store is pretty new.

Sports Authorities/Dick's etc could try to mimick something like Bass Pro but on a smaller scale instead of just being a big box.

Sports Authority to me always looked like Circuit City back in the day compared to Best Buy. Everything about it screamed cheap, even though it carried the same crap as a Dick's or MC Sports, etc.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Menards lumber selection is pretty awesome, but the quality of a lot of their other stuff is a step below HD or Lowers. Tools comparable to Harbor Freight etc.

My Menards has a piano that is automatic and plays music all day, except from like 12-2pm when an old guy plays live. Classy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take this opportunity to point out something I was way wrong about.

When money policy was so significantly loosened during the depths of the recession, along with the dramatic increase in government spending, I had major concerns about a big inflation snap-back when the economy did eventually heat up. This was based on history, in terms of the typical rates of acceleration out of the bottom. But something odd happened - the recovery was much less sharp, more gradual than really any other we've seen. As a result, we didn't get the snap-back. In some ways that's a good thing.

The one danger with it, though - the rates are still pegged so damn low because there wasn't that spike out to respond to. Now, with a pretty healthy economy, rates didn't go back up, which means the Fed has very little wriggle room if things turn south. So there's a danger there too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
I'm going to take this opportunity to point out something I was way wrong about.

When money policy was so significantly loosened during the depths of the recession, along with the dramatic increase in government spending, I had major concerns about a big inflation snap-back when the economy did eventually heat up. This was based on history, in terms of the typical rates of acceleration out of the bottom. But something odd happened - the recovery was much less sharp, more gradual than really any other we've seen. As a result, we didn't get the snap-back. In some ways that's a good thing.

The one danger with it, though - the rates are still pegged so damn low because there wasn't that spike out to respond to. Now, with a pretty healthy economy, rates didn't go back up, which means the Fed has very little wriggle room if things turn south. So there's a danger there too.

It is the oddest correction I know of. After nearly a decade, the economy isn't healthy enough to sustain an actual interest rate. Numbers don't agree with each other on how healthy the economy actually is. By traditional measures, the economy should be overheating, but we are still sitting on minimal growth and inflation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
It is the oddest correction I know of. After nearly a decade, the economy isn't healthy enough to sustain an actual interest rate. Numbers don't agree with each other on how healthy the economy actually is. By traditional measures, the economy should be overheating, but we are still sitting on minimal growth and inflation.

Is the total unemployment/underemployment/discouraged (U6) actually excluded as a traditional measure?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)

Slow and steady. Nice for a change. No more house of cards. (Tech/ecommerce bubble, housing bubble)

I'm not that surprised, how often have these conditions happened iwth a declining workforce in US in modern economic era?

Look at how much explicit inflation creating activity Japan had to do to hit their targets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 07:44 AM)

Correction. The US economy is absolutely healthy enough to sustain interest rate hikes, however, the global economy is not and as a result, the fed is in an uncomfortable spot where it really can't raise rates (at least not much) given the global economy and global interest rates.

A fine jobs report. Low wage growth, but we must be nearing end of slack by looking at demographics. Good news is Teenage unemployment saw good hiring and is now at highest employment rate in 6 years. Not that big of a deal but considering min wage hikes in different states it is something to keep an eye on.

• 2 weeks later...

Some really great news as it was just released that real median household incomes rose 5.2% in 2015. We had seen volatile monthxmonth wage growth that looked either good or average depending on the time period, but this shows that finally we are seeing some meaningful wages rising for middle class. Those in the bottom tenth saw incomes rise 7.9%.

Just great news.

The poverty rate dropped from 14.8% to 13.5% year over year. 5 million people are out of poverty from year before. That is incredible\

Hell, just read Justin Wolfers twitter:

twitter.com/justinwolfers

This is one of the best census reports ever recorded. Largest ever gains from 10th-80th percentiles. Income inequality decreased.