Financial News

jasonxctf

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
The market cap for Facebook is now larger than the market caps for Johnson and Johnson as well as Wells Fargo.

That is crazy.

At some point in time there will be a great short play.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL at all the ass clowns protesting in front of CBOT right now....Get a f***ing clue and get a f***ing life.... You want your pensions paid for....ooops there is no money left over to pay for all the welfare...

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
LOL at all the ass clowns protesting in front of CBOT right now....Get a f***ing clue and get a f***ing life.... You want your pensions paid for....ooops there is no money left over to pay for all the welfare...

I wouldn't call pensions welfare...

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Why does Illinois not tax pensions? How much revenue are we forgoing?

I'm pretty sure it's to incentivize retirees staying in state. Don't tax income, but pick up the property and consumption taxes.

Note, I'm not opining on the policy to not tax pensions, but I'm pretty sure that's the rationale...

Did socail security ever have a chance lol? I mean seriously. Ok so you work until your early 60s and then you get a free ride? I understand the increased prices of survival weren't likely foreseen or the rise in life-expectancy, but s***, ithe principal of it goes against the american dream of your right to grab whatever size of the pie you want. I know so many retiree-aged people who are just waiting out the years.

I think the younger generation is seeing first hand how almost unlivable the SS wage is. Gotta grab more pie or die.

Ss has lifted millions out of elderly poverty. It is by no means a lavish living, but many would be much, much worse off if it didn't exist.

People in the 1930's were aware of both inflation and increasing life expectancy, though life expectancy at retirement hdon' increased as much as life expectancy at birth.

I don't see how living past your sixties with some basic needs guaranteed goes against the "American dream"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
Ss has lifted millions out of elderly poverty. It is by no means a lavish living, but many would be much, much worse off if it didn't exist.

People in the 1930's were aware of both inflation and increasing life expectancy, though life expectancy at retirement hdon' increased as much as life expectancy at birth.

I don't see how living past your sixties with some basic needs guaranteed goes against the "American dream"

Guarantee of happiness or pursuit of happiness? Don't get me wrong I think it's a great idea at heart but to say they were aware of the levels of inflation, increased life expectancy & massive population explosion is a bit ridiculous. NO. THEY. WEREN'T.

It's created absolute laziness just as much as it's lifted millions out of elderly poverty. It is what it is. It eats itself. Which is gross. Nothing should eat itself.

All I'm saying is I'll be damned if I grab one of those checks.

I am 100%certain that people in the 1930's were aware of both inflation and life expectancy increases because they lived through both. Social Security was also modified in the 1980's to account for baby boomers.

And damn all those lazy 70 year Olds, just sitting around and collecting their big government checks! They should get to work!

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
It is, but in a much more complex way.

To lean heavily on terrible cliches, it's not connected to the "mainstreet" economy these days. The stock market was doing fantastically well and corporations were making record profits for years while employment was still high, and even with employment rates greatly improved, wages are still pretty stagnant and wealth is even more unequal these days. A robust financial market doesn't necessarily translate into economic improvements for most people.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
To lean heavily on terrible cliches, it's not connected to the "mainstreet" economy these days. The stock market was doing fantastically well and corporations were making record profits for years while employment was still high, and even with employment rates greatly improved, wages are still pretty stagnant and wealth is even more unequal these days. A robust financial market doesn't necessarily translate into economic improvements for most people.

Bolded is certainly true, yes. Just saying that the market as a whole is not fully disconnected from the economy, or anything close to that. In some senses, some of the movement is more trading for trading-caused, that is true too.

counterpoint:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
The market cap for Facebook is now larger than the market caps for Johnson and Johnson as well as Wells Fargo.

(edit: this isn't a well thought out critique! more of a general observation)

Edited by StrangeSox

On the other hand, if we want to put more pressure on China to continuing to use their capital reserves to shore up weaknesses in the yuan, we're winning that policy confrontation.

Of course, in the end, a much lower RMB leads to trade wars, matching or competing devaluations in SE Asia and the further dumping of cheap/subsidized products on the rest of the world (see Sinosteel vs. Tata in England) to meet impossible government GDP growth targets of 6.5-7% for the next five years.

Good for Wal-Mart customers, bad in general for fair and equitable world trade.