Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
NOTE TO COLLEGE BASKETBALL TEAMS: Schedule no one and play in a horse s*** conference and you will be rewarded

Didn't work for Illinois State.

Two missed tournaments in three years. No NCAA Tournament wins since 2006, only one since the magical run of 2005. We can point to recruiting trail victories that have occured in recent years all we want, but the results say Bruce Weber is doing an awful job, and has taken a program he inherited in top 20 (at least) position nationally and brought it down to mediocrity since Bill Self's players left. They should be a lot better next year, but they better be, or else Weber's job should be looked at VERY closely.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

NOTE TO COLLEGE BASKETBALL TEAMS: Schedule no one and play in a horse s*** conference and you will be rewarded

Gosh, you sound like a crybaby.

75th RPI

Lost 6 of 8.

Average Big Ten RPI conference ranking.

Dont blow a double digit lead vs Ohio St or maybe actually take a shot at the buzzer and you wont be on the outside looking in.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
Didn't work for Illinois State.

The Man is just trying to keep them, and all the other mid-majors, down. ISU has the best backcourt in the nation, bar none :P

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
Two missed tournaments in three years. No NCAA Tournament wins since 2006, only one since the magical run of 2005. We can point to recruiting trail victories that have occured in recent years all we want, but the results say Bruce Weber is doing an awful job, and has taken a program he inherited in top 20 (at least) position nationally and brought it down to mediocrity since Bill Self's players left. They should be a lot better next year, but they better be, or else Weber's job should be looked at VERY closely.

I've been saying for a while they need to be at least a 4 or 5 seed next year with a legit shot at a deep tourney run (similar to 03-04 or 05-06) or he should be gone. And I am largely a Weber supporter.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)

75th RPI

Lost 6 of 8.

Dont blow a double digit lead vs Ohio St or maybe actually take a shot at the buzzer and you wont be on the outside looking in.

Are you illiterate? I just said I don't give a f*** about Illinois...

I'm talking about Utah State.

I said schedule no one and play in a horse s*** conference and be rewarded. Is that not what happened with Utah State? Does anyone really believe Utah State would be able to win even 8 games in the Big East or any power conference. Or that teams like Virginia Tech and Mississippi State wouldn't run through the WAC with ease?

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)

75th RPI

Lost 6 of 8.

Yeah, you can run to the highest mountain and scream about SOS, but 14 losses including 6 of 8 to end the season, and blowing it yesterday makes it hard to really be upset Illinois isn't in.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Jay Bilas made a great point, it's not like any teams that missed is someone that you could call "deserving".

Even with the shrinking bubble in recent days, not only did no blatant snubs occur (although I could almost see sort of why Virginia Tech and Mississippi State might be upset, and I suppose Illinois could make a case for being angry in some ways), but some very questionable teams got in. Makes you wonder what the people who want to expand the tournament are thinking.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Even with the shrinking bubble in recent days, not only did no blatant snubs occur (although I could almost see sort of why Virginia Tech and Mississippi State might be upset, and I suppose Illinois could make a case for being angry in some ways), but some very questionable teams got in. Makes you wonder what the people who want to expand the tournament are thinking.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
[/b]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Probably. But if that's the case, just have the balls to admit it. Other than money, there isn't a single good reason for expansion. However, money is usually the only reason needed, so I am resigned to the fate that expansion is coming.

That's the opposite trend than what we had seen recently. The mid-major teams had been getting crushed the last few years. Can't complain this year. I'd rather have a mid-major that makes their careers get in than a big program on a down year.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
I've got a way too early Final 4 of...

Michigan State,

Texas,

Kansas,

West Virginia

My dark horse is FSU, and my dark, dark horse is Richmond :-).

Well I have all 6 of my preseason teams at least in the 2nd round. 2 of my 4 final four picks look good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
That's the opposite trend than what we had seen recently. The mid-major teams had been getting crushed the last few years. Can't complain this year. I'd rather have a mid-major that makes their careers get in than a big program on a down year.

I don't know if they tried to get more mid majors in as much as there were more upsets in mid major leagues. Teams like UTEP and Utah State took at large's and turned 1 bid leagues into two bid leagues by not winning their league tournaments. Additionally, San Diego State got the Mountain West a 4th bid it might not have gotten by making it's big run to win that league tournament, and St. Mary's would have been very close had they not won their way in during the WCC Tournament. The "mid major" at large bids went from 4 to 8 this year, but that's the only reason why IMO. Had such upsets not occured, it would have probably been the same story this year and mediocre teams like Virginia Tech, Illinois, and Mississippi State probably get in.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
They say teams like Virginia Tech need to schedule more teams in the non-conference, why isn't the same principle applied to a team like Utah St.?

Cause it's pretty much impossible for a team like Utah State to schedule tough opponents. If I were a Illinois fan, I'd actually have more beef with UTEP getting in. I honestly believe that UTEP is the best team out of all the bubble teams, however, they had the worst resume imo. Utah State at least had a great win against BYU, UTEP has absolutely nothing.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
Cause it's pretty much impossible for a team like Utah State to schedule tough opponents. If I were a Illinois fan, I'd actually have more beef with UTEP getting in. I honestly believe that UTEP is the best team out of all the bubble teams, however, they had the worst resume imo. Utah State at least had a great win against BYU, UTEP has absolutely nothing.

I have a problem with both getting in based on their resumes, but I've settled down now after I was initially pissed off. I think it is absurd that Utah St. gets in without scheduling a single BCS conference team and UTEP gets in without beating a single at large team all year (and actually losing 2 out of 3 to Houston)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)

It's tough to schedule teams, yes i know. But if you are gonna play a schedule of almost entirely cupcakes in non-con and con then you should go nearly undefeated.

I agree with you on UTEP as well.

Either way it was initial anger, frustrating but whatever. Just my opinion that teams of that caliber with few wins of significance don't belong.

The thing is scheduling harder teams doesn't make you a better team. Illinois has lost to a few teams that would fit in the category of bad losses and if they played a full schedule of bad teams they would have lost a few more.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
The thing is scheduling harder teams doesn't make you a better team. Illinois has lost to a few teams that would fit in the category of bad losses and if they played a full schedule of bad teams they would have lost a few more.

This is what I was just about to say. I don't know if Illinois puts up a better record then Utah St. if they played that schedule. They should, but that Illinois team was just too inconsistent.

I'm sure it's been said, but I think the committee did a particularly bad job this year. Lot's of issues with seeds.

Ohio State and West Virginia arguably should have been a 1 seed, yet they are in the same region as Kansas/Kentucky, the top 1 seeds? Bulls***. Then Kansas has to deal with the best 3 seed as well. Hilarious. Duke and Syraucse have by far the easier regions.

Also, some of the other seedings to me were off. Cornell should have been higher than a 12, Siena should have been higher than a 13 (hell, they might be favored in that game), Gonzaga is better than an 8, Notre Dame way too high as a 6, Wake is too high and arguably shouldnt have even been in and on and on. I know there's always going to be issues but to me it seems this year there were a lot of "WTF?" moments when I watched the seedings announced.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix