Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
I don't think either were overrated. He was a complete game changer in college and there's no way they get to the title game with out him. He also was a legit NBA prospect, if it hasn't been for injuries I think he'd be quite a NBA player at the moment.

His block shots and rebounding rates were phenomenal this year before he got injured again. He was becoming the type of defensive force that would change games and with Portland's other talent could lead them to a championship. And for those who are fans of Hollinger's PER he was 8th in the league. Guy is a game changer and absolute stud when healthy. It is unfortunate we are likely never going to see him at his potential because of injuries.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
Id vote for Bo Ryan for Big 10 coach of the year.

Wisconsin preseason was picked as finishing 9th or worse.

There is no way anybody had them 9th or worse. Iowa, PSU, and IU were the consensus last 3 and I doubt people had Wisconsin finishing behind NW. But I agree with Ryan as Big 10 coach of the year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
There is no way anybody had them 9th or worse. Iowa, PSU, and IU were the consensus last 3 and I doubt people had Wisconsin finishing behind NW. But I agree with Ryan as Big 10 coach of the year.

Gotta be Ryan or Matta. Painter and Izzo had easily the most hyped teams in the conference at the beginning of the year and both had to share the title with a team that was an "also ran". They also let other teams in the race by losing crucial games. Painter barely was an avg coach this season.

Whitesox99

Ill try and find the publication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%93...eason#Preseason

Okay it seems exaggerated slightly.

Wisconsin was picked by most media as 7th and 8th in some publications. I cant seem to find the Big 10 preseason guide, but from what ive read on Wisconsin sites (complaining about it) Wisconsin was picked 9th.

But still to take a team that was considered bottom half by "experts" this far should be commended.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
The coaches balloting for the Big Ten conference awards are a joke. Who wouldnt vote for Evan Turner as player of the year? And Matt Painter for coach of the year? Give me a break.

Are teams allowed to vote for their own people?

Why no SEC Tournament thread?

Nashville is already crawling with UK fans.

Is anybody like me rooting for Kentucky to make the Final 4 and also praying that the allegations of Wall and Cousins getting cash to go to UK turn out to be true? I just think it would be a great story to follow.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
Why no SEC Tournament thread?

Nashville is already crawling with UK fans.

Is anybody like me rooting for Kentucky to make the Final 4 and also praying that the allegations of Wall and Cousins getting cash to go to UK turn out to be true? I just think it would be a great story to follow.

That would be fantastic. Anything to get Calipari in trouble. He's weasled (lucked?) his way out of sanctions twice and I want him to get hit hard. He's a complete prick and a jerk. Thinks he's better than everyone else.

I hope Tennessee can finally break through this year, but we haven't won the SEC tourney since '79 so I don't expect it to happen this year. We're just too damn inconsistent, especially on the road.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
More proof that those awards are a joke. Damian is easily one of the best defensive players in the Big 10, and anyone who has ever watched the Gophers play knows the impact he has on the game. He ranked second in the Big Ten in both Blk% and Stl%, and it's laughable that he gets left off the Big 10 All-Defensive team.

Add in the fact that Kramer is a punk, and this is ridiculous.

Sounds like Tubby and Damian are pissed off too: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/87299712.html

Hopefully this can spark a run in the Big Ten tournament :P

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
With that said, I hate Jim Burr with a passion and he needs to go ahead and just die already. He is absolutely clueless out there and is on a ridiculous power trip every time he is on the court.

I've never agreed with anything in this thread more. He seems to do every game in Bloomington, it's frustrating.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
I've never agreed with anything in this thread more. He seems to do every game in Bloomington, it's frustrating.

His biggest problem is his ego. He was completely out of position and wasn't even looking at the end of an "and 1" of McCamey's last week, despite the fact that the other official RAN over to him to say "hey the ball went in, the basket should count." Dude just shook his head and said no. Clueless.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
If you are looking for overrated teams, look no further than New Mexico. They will likely end up with a #2 or #3 seed and have about as much of a chance of reaching the Sweet 16 as I do of having a baby with Jessica Alba.

That's gonna be the case with seeds 1-6 all over the place this year though.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
If you are looking for overrated teams, look no further than New Mexico. They will likely end up with a #2 or #3 seed and have about as much of a chance of reaching the Sweet 16 as I do of having a baby with Jessica Alba.

I concur

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
That's gonna be the case with seeds 1-6 all over the place this year though.

Agreed as well, however, New Mexico has one of the higher probabilities of all the high seeds to get knocked off early imo.