Have the Sox quit?

whitesoxfan101

This is a fair question to ask I think at this point. I personally am not sure, simply because it's hard to distinguish if they have quit or if they are actually just this bad of a team. Either way, it's been made clear once again this year that you can't rebuild and be a winning, playoff type team at the same time.

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
AT this point I'm hoping for 3rd place and mm m to get the best pick possible next years draft.

An interesting note...right now, we're tied with the Twins for wins but we've lost 2 more games...we'd be sitting at slot 14 right now. There's a big difference between slot 15 and slot 16 if there's any chance that you're going to target a type A free agent in the offseason.

They just can't hit. Dye hasn't been hitting in more than a month, Paulie has been struggling, same with Gordon, Jim, and Alexei. Rios is awful at the plate. Only Pods, Nix and AJ have been hitting.

When you aren't hitting it looks like you have quit. You can believe these guys want to hit because that means $$$$$, but for whatever reason it's just gone. You're team looks really really bad when you're not hitting.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
When you aren't hitting it looks like you have quit. You can believe these guys want to hit because that means $$$$$, but for whatever reason it's just gone. You're team looks really really bad when you're not hitting.

At the very least, you'd think that all of the guys in their contract years would be trying their asses off.

This team doesn't want to win. Sure don't f***ing play like it. The season is over. We can't string together more than two wins and the offense won't wake up.

Tired of watching this heartless team on the field get beat by our terrible bullpen and inconsistent offense. Seriously need to retool this team in the offseason.

Rios has done nothing to impress me, I like the waiver move but I'm starting to hate it with his play.

We all keep saying this team needs to wake up, but it is a lost season, unless we get a winning streak going we won't catch Detroit.

Im just suprised we are only 5 games back. If the Sox somehow end this horrible road trip only 3 games back- were going to win this thing. This team is too talented to not be in this race to the end. Hopefully Ozzie's tirade will light that 'fire' thats been missing.

Lets do this!!!!! Its not over yet!!

I don't think the sox have quit. The way they're hitting and fielding, it makes them look awful, tired and listless. This has been the same type M.O. for years-easy outs up and down the lineup, missing pitches they should hit hard, pop flies to the infield, 1-2 pitch at bats. When they are slumping at the plate, it seems a 1 run deficit is like they are down 10 runs. Or a 1 run lead for them is going to be lost.

This is the type of offense that needs to change.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
An interesting note...right now, we're tied with the Twins for wins but we've lost 2 more games...we'd be sitting at slot 14 right now. There's a big difference between slot 15 and slot 16 if there's any chance that you're going to target a type A free agent in the offseason.

you are correct about that but we are not going for any type As. With these latest moves the sox have no financial flexibility. All the money coming off the books went right back for an average major league hitter who has a horrible contract for his skill level. The salary for next year is at 90M once you considered the arb guys and the sox were talking about lowering payroll due to the expiring sponsership contracts. So spending another 10M or more on a free agent is just not happening.

No, but they're just far too inconsistent, especially on offense, which has been this team's downfall for a few seasons.

The thing is, you wouldn't expect that to happen from players such as Jermaine Dye, but unfortunately since the ASB, that's been the case.

When you get outplayed in every area of the game, you look like you've quit. The hunger, the things that make you rise above your inadequacies, is whats not there. Is it me, or did this start turning when Anderson & Fields left the team? Their ability to fill in gave some players rest and, the Getz injury has been underplayed. His value is now clearly evident.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 06:14 AM)
Im just suprised we are only 5 games back. If the Sox somehow end this horrible road trip only 3 games back- were going to win this thing. This team is too talented to not be in this race to the end. Hopefully Ozzie's tirade will light that 'fire' thats been missing.

Come on. They've shown no ability to come back and take this division this season. So because the Tigers' lead won't be ridiculous at the end of this road trip, the team will magically turn it on and close the gap?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
Come on. They've shown no ability to come back and take this division this season. So because the Tigers' lead won't be ridiculous at the end of this road trip, the team will magically turn it on and close the gap?

probably not. thanks for bringing me back down to reality. Our team just isn't that good this year. Its all about 2010 from here on out.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 06:14 AM)

You do realize. We finish this road trip with 3 in Minnesota (the Cubs game I don't really count). We are likely to be 6-7 games back by the end of the trip. I am sick of this team is too talented to not win. We don't have that much talent. Dye is done, Konerko is slow, Ramirez is a moron, our pitching is terrible right now. For once I am confident in saying we are not the most talented team in the division.