How did you find your job?

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
No. Just go Corporate Communications vs something stupid like Media Studies.

I really appreciate the tone of your post. In fact, for a semester I was a Corporate Communication major and I found out how little you actually learned in the field of Communication. I would rather study Anthropology than be spoonfed something about how people talk and function within an organization.

With that said, I believe there is a difference with regards to Communication Studies at EIU compared to Communication Studies at Bradley University or at other schools. I have found that I'm more into business but I do want my writing ability to be shown to my employers hence the PR writing. The basis of my research for schools is that I'll actually learn something rather than just be some idiot who goes and learns a bunch of bulls*** and isn't prepared for anything that "the real world" may throw at you. I'm not saying EIU is a bad school, but what I am saying is that some of the departments there are a joke, with the exception of Biology, Political Science, Journalism and the College of Education.

Edited by The Beast

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
I know someone who used to be Director of Communications and her response to any job relating to that would be...DON'T DO IT!

Not sure why that would be said. I've had a couple of internships in PR with sport teams (and plan on doing that for a career) and have really enjoyed them. I've also talked to a number of people in the field, and they enjoy their jobs as well.

Of course, PR in sport is a different beast than PR in the corporate world, but they still have a lot of the same aspects so I would suspect there isn't much difference in job enjoyment if it's a field you enjoy.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
Temp job at a company my mom worked at. A few months later a full time position opened and I applied to it after already being a temp there. Been here ever since.

Same here. Got laid off around December of 2008....collected unemployment for a few months until a temp agency called with a job. Start full time within the next week or so.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
How can you really judge a field after one undergrad semester at EIU?

I'm judging based off of the courses that are taught in their Comm Studies department. Their CS department is different than say, Bradley University or other departments. I find it hard to believe that all schools are going to make you stomach a heavy dose of Comm Theory, Organizational Communication or even of the more non-practical stuff before you can even get into things that make sense like press releases, writing or some of the business aspects taught at other schools.

In the end, it didn't really matter as I needed to find a new school any way.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (onedude @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Same here. Got laid off around December of 2008....collected unemployment for a few months until a temp agency called with a job. Start full time within the next week or so.

Great! I'm glad you landed something.

I was dating a girl and one of her roommates was dating my current boss. He had started his own contracting company that month and hadnt hired any employees. He had a handle of Jager and a case of red bull and asked me if I wanted a job so I quit my other job and have been doing that for almost 7 years. Luckily for me the guy turned out to be very good at what he does.

To all of you wondering what I was saying...

I was talking about Argonne specifically, not going into PR generally...

And Strange...she said that there was a lot of governmental red tape and as Hawk would say, Big Hat, no Cattle. They or she had a lot of great ideas, but like a lot of governmental organizations, by the time they get around to getting the money and then implementing any plans, 4 better ideas have come down the pike. Plus, you're dealing with scientists, too, while incredibly smart, aren't exactly the best when it comes to marketing/PR because for the most part, they aren't wired that way.

But, if you are interested, please, don't let me sway you. You should find out for yourself.

And Beast...after your first job, it really doesn't matter what your major is/was...as long as you are good at what you do.

I guess I got my current somewhat through luck. Almost 6 years ago I saw the ad in the paper for this place but had no idea what they did. I was quite unhappy with my job at the time and was just applying everywhere. Turned out that this place was hiring for the start-up of a new plant (making paper towels, bathroom tissue, etc.). I was one of the original 24 people hired, and now there's over 200 employees and growing. I moved up quickly and now manage two production lines. Lots of luck but lots of work, too.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)

And Strange...she said that there was a lot of governmental red tape and as Hawk would say, Big Hat, no Cattle. They or she had a lot of great ideas, but like a lot of governmental organizations, by the time they get around to getting the money and then implementing any plans, 4 better ideas have come down the pike. Plus, you're dealing with scientists, too, while incredibly smart, aren't exactly the best when it comes to marketing/PR because for the most part, they aren't wired that way.

But, if you are interested, please, don't let me sway you. You should find out for yourself.

Thanks for letting me know. I was asking for my girlfriend, not myself, but I'll pass the information along.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)

And Beast...after your first job, it really doesn't matter what your major is/was...as long as you are good at what you do.

That's the thing - in journalism, I'm mediocre at best. My writing never really improved from high school and that kind of work is too stressful. When an editor expects a story by 4 in the afternoon, he means it, and I can't produce quality by then.

Business on the other hand just throws a bunch of math, writing, economics and business courses into one degree. I can do that. As long as I have that business degree, I can always go back to school and get an associate's in health care, given the job market. There are a lot of things that I can do, it's just finding the skills that I do have and making use of them.

I'm sure that I'll be better at something in 2 years when I'm set to graduate. Then I can experience the whiplash that I expect and go back for more school. Lastly, just because I don't come from a PR background doesn't mean I can't get a job in PR. I might intern in PR. We'll see.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (The Beast @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
That's the thing - in journalism, I'm mediocre at best. My writing never really improved from high school and that kind of work is too stressful. When an editor expects a story by 4 in the afternoon, he means it, and I can't produce quality by then.

Business on the other hand just throws a bunch of math, writing, economics and business courses into one degree. I can do that. As long as I have that business degree, I can always go back to school and get an associate's in health care, given the job market. There are a lot of things that I can do, it's just finding the skills that I do have and making use of them.

I'm sure that I'll be better at something in 2 years when I'm set to graduate. Then I can experience the whiplash that I expect and go back for more school. Lastly, just because I don't come from a PR background doesn't mean I can't get a job in PR. I might intern in PR. We'll see.

You are absolutely right on the last part. My wife was pre-med at Rice. She interned in advertising and is now a Client Partner. And trust me...there are very few people who are excellent at anything at the age of 21. If you went into journalism, it takes years to come into your style...so don't worry about it. You're young...enjoy college as best you can. In 20 years, you'll be amazed at where you are in life and the twists and turns you went through. Good luck with whatever you choose!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
CareerBuilder or Monster. I can't remember which one.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Found through Monster.

That's been my method so far without much success. Over the years I've actually gotten three interviews from postings on job boards but they weren't a fit for me.

The thing I really hate is the fact that you spend 30 minutes signing up for the site and filling in information that's all on your resume anyway.

Lately I'm running across job titles that aren't totally accurate. Like having mainframe programmer (which is what I am) as the title and then in the description they are really looking for a web programmer.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
Like having mainframe programmer (which is what I am) as the title and then in the description they are really looking for a web programmer.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. I've seen Websphere used to put up web fronts and API's for web services attached to mainframe or midrange apps.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
I got my job when someone took pity on me after having been in school way too long to ever fully escape, so they pulled me back into academia.

Try explaining to a little kid that you are still in school as an adult and basically in the 23rd grade.

:lolhitting

That's exactly the year I'm in, by my count.

I hate you.

Have worked in commercial real estate for 13 years. Started out Big 6 (now 4) on the valuation/consulting side. Moved into investment sales which I eventually was able to transition into a nice gig at a public real estate investor/developer where I oversaw sales and assisted in managing portfolios of properties. Unfortunately, the financial crisis has hit real estate as bad as any sector and I was out of work near the end of last year. Have since set up my own LLC and partnered with a couple other folks from my previous firm. We are now basically a traveling band of seasoned real estate professionals offering guidance to banks, master servicers and special servicers. It is taking some time to get traction due to general market stagnation but we continue to build relationships in the banking field and hope it will pay off as the banks face more and more defaults on the part of the borrowers. Also seeing some opportunities via the FDIC and some of the programs set up by the government to stimulate investment.

If anyone has any contacts at any special servicers, banks, FDIC, etc., I would be much obliged for any insight and/or introductions. A warm introduction of some sort always helps.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
Good Lord, you made me count, and that's pretty much where I am too. This should be the last year.

Having been there, I feel both your pain.

And then there's Soxy, who seemed to cruise through to nearly getting her Piled Higher and Deeper in what seemed like six months or something.

Just goes to show you we all shoulda gone to a soft science like Psychology.

:D