White Sox @ Cubs, 1:20 PM, CSN

justBLAZE

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Ozzie and Coop keep saying we are contenders, but when you run guys like Wise and Torres out there, you know it's BS. Wake me up when Flowers or Hudson get some PT so I can at least get a preview of the future.

just for you

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2004096:date=Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:12 AM:name=PeavyTime)-->
<!--quotec-->Ozzie and Coop keep saying we are contenders, but when you run guys like Wise and Torres out there, you know it's BS. Wake me up when Flowers or Hudson get some PT so I can at least get a preview of the future.

just for you

I picked this as the Sox theme song in a different thread a few days ago. It's so hard to watch this team, yet I never miss a pitch.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2004096:date=Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:12 AM:name=PeavyTime)-->
<!--quotec-->Ozzie and Coop keep saying we are contenders, but when you run guys like Wise and Torres out there, you know it's BS. Wake me up when Flowers or Hudson get some PT so I can at least get a preview of the future.

just for you

Oh god, that song brings up memories of our late season swoon in 2005. My Cubs fan friends would always play it or bring it up when I was around. But thanks to Jose and the Rally Crede, we hung on and then won the WS!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Come on...

AJ is one of the only guys on the team who is HITTING the ball.

Look at his splits the last two months:

- July: .356/.364/.506/.869

- August: .330/.374/.473/.846

And since no one else in the lineup is hitting squat, it makes perfect sense to have him third right now.

RBI's in those months: 6 and 9. 15 RBI's with 5 HR. Dont tell me how you hit, tell me when you hit.

I'd like SOMEONE to point out where I said the guy doesnt hit. I said the guy doesnt knock in runs.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
JD is hitting .417 in 12 AB's against Dempster, Kotsay and Rios have never seen him and Wise is hitting .286 in 7 ABs.

Dye is hurt. He has some sort of back issue. You could clearly see him struggle with it yesterday. I don't think the Sox announcers commented on it (they may have been told not to), but the Twins announcers mentioned it more than a few times.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
RBI's in those months: 6 and 9. 15 RBI's with 5 HR. Dont tell me how you hit, tell me when you hit.

I'd like SOMEONE to point out where I said the guy doesnt hit. I said the guy doesnt knock in runs.

Over his career, his BA and BA-RISP are practically identical.

The fact that he's currently hitting above his career batting average, yet below his career BA-RISP average probably suggests that both numbers will trend back to their norms.

So, when he comes up with people on base, an optimist might say he's due. Because the law of averages suggests he'll catch up.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)

AJ is hitting just .239 with runners in scoring position. Still, it doesn't help his RBI total either that he spent most of the year batting behind guys that could barely score from 3rd on a single. Knocking in Konerko and Thome has it's own challenges and is a little tougher than knocking in Pods and Beckham.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
AJ is hitting just .239 with runners in scoring position. Still, it doesn't help his RBI total either that he spent most of the year batting behind guys that could barely score from 3rd on a single. Knocking in Konerko and Thome has it's own challenges and is a little tougher than knocking in Pods and Beckham.

That's the biggest thing right there. It can literally take three hits before AJ gets up for him to be able to knock in a run on a single with the guys he has had in front of him this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
Is anybody a little worried Torres is pitching this game?

Cubs have a lot more to play for that we do. They are only what, five back in loss column for wildcard?

Ummm...no they don't. I don't get why we are throwing the towel in around here with 6 games left with Detroit.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
Over his career, his BA and BA-RISP are practically identical.

The fact that he's currently hitting above his career batting average, yet below his career BA-RISP average probably suggests that both numbers will trend back to their norms.

So, when he comes up with people on base, an optimist might say he's due. Because the law of averages suggests he'll catch up.

There is no "Law of Averages". There's the Law of Large Numbers that says a random variable will exhibit its underlying probabilities over large sample sizes, it offers no predictive power. If you flip a coin ten times in a row and get heads each time, you still have a 50/50 shot of getting heads again.

Also, in baseball, we're talking about floating averages, not fixed probabilities. There is no probability that will force AJ to start hitting better in certain situations.

/statistics rant

edit: http://books.google.com/books?id=S9Wk5NqiX...all&f=false

Edited by StrangeSox