Whats the highest value we could get

Princess Dye

The only way of getting something decent is taking a bad contract on.

Or maybe someone who has worn out his welcome. I'll probably get slammed for this but Milton Bradley has definitely worn out his welcome and is overpaid for 2 yrs

All while still producing OBP (which we need) and could DH (we'll also have a need). Guys like Carl Everett can come here and no longer have to produce soundbites b/c Guillen takes up the media's attention etc

This plus a Figgins would revamp the team into one that can draw a walk and thus makes our core guys run producers again. We need two new starting position players at least, and this way we'd contend in the present and do so relatively cheaply.

Meanwhile the Cubs could do it b/c they can slash 10M in future payroll but keep Zambrano (who would be the most easily dealable guy they have i suppose). I'm sure Ricketts will want some maneuvering room to mold the team how his mgmt would want. From our end I'd suppose we'd have to sweeten w/ a midlevel prospect

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
i dont think anybody would want linebrink. plus i dont think bradley would last in the white sox clubhouse. he would take something the wrong way and go on a hissy fit.

Even though this is a separate point, I also have this strange feeling that the Sox fanbase respects a Carl Everett (albeit in a bemused way) more than say that quiet, squirrelly Podsednik/Rex Grossman type personality.

Hence Guillen's immense popularity which, in part, is due to his being loud and weird.

Just as Rasheed Wallace finally felt at home in Detroit, there must be some place where Milton Bradley is a good fit-and it's at least possible that's here. Some guys start closing their mouths around age 30, too.

Edited by Princess Dye

You want to trade low on Linebrink, and get that disaster of a player in Bradley in return?

Trading Linebrink makes little sense, since right now we'd get very little or nothing for him. If someone does come along and offer something decent, well, great. But not likely. So the best thing to do really, is see him again in Spring Training, and see if he's gotten back on the rails. If he has, great. If not, bury him in the front of the bullpen or release him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
You want to trade low on Linebrink, and get that disaster of a player in Bradley in return?

Trading Linebrink makes little sense, since right now we'd get very little or nothing for him. If someone does come along and offer something decent, well, great. But not likely. So the best thing to do really, is see him again in Spring Training, and see if he's gotten back on the rails. If he has, great. If not, bury him in the front of the bullpen or release him.

One of the better ideas I saw regarding Linebrink was about a month ago when Fathom suggested maybe trading Linebrink to the Dodgers for Juan Pierre. Pierre's contract runs through 2011 and he is owed $10 million in 10' and $8.5 million in 11'. Linebrink is also signed through 2011', and is owed $5 and $5.5 million respectively in 2010 and 2011. If you traded Pierre for Linebrink, you'd essentially be taking on $7 million and getting rid of Linebrink.

The problem with that is you could probably just take that $7 million, resign Podsednik to a 2 year deal, and keep Linebrink. While many of you would probably rather have him gone, I'd probably rather have him around, all things considered, on the chance that he rediscovers his breaking stuff. I think the difference between Pierre and Podsednik comes down to defense, where Pierre holds a clear edge, but the money being relatively equal, I would rather have Pods and Linebrink rather than just Pierre.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Linebrink isn't going anywhere unless we pick up another horrible contract. Me personally, I'd rather just bet on him becoming a decent reliever, versus picking up someone else's crap.

What are the details on his contract? Did we inherit it or did Kenny do it?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
One of the better ideas I saw regarding Linebrink was about a month ago when Fathom suggested maybe trading Linebrink to the Dodgers for Juan Pierre. Pierre's contract runs through 2011 and he is owed $10 million in 10' and $8.5 million in 11'. Linebrink is also signed through 2011', and is owed $5 and $5.5 million respectively in 2010 and 2011. If you traded Pierre for Linebrink, you'd essentially be taking on $7 million and getting rid of Linebrink.

The problem with that is you could probably just take that $7 million, resign Podsednik to a 2 year deal, and keep Linebrink. While many of you would probably rather have him gone, I'd probably rather have him around, all things considered, on the chance that he rediscovers his breaking stuff. I think the difference between Pierre and Podsednik comes down to defense, where Pierre holds a clear edge, but the money being relatively equal, I would rather have Pods and Linebrink rather than just Pierre.

Even if Pods reverts to sucking again next year, I'd still rather stick with Linebrink. He's healthy and could easily revert to his early 2008 form. And our bullpen is in awful, awful shape. Plus, there may be a financial need to deal Jenks this winter, which would make our bullpen situation even worse.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)

Pierre is worth that money almost based on baserunning alone. And I would personally have no problem with that deal either, as it gives Danks a full year in AA and AAA before being ready for the show.

This is assuming an outfield alignment left to right of Pierre-Rios-Quentin. That is actually the foundation of a good defensive outfield.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Even if Pods reverts to sucking again next year, I'd still rather stick with Linebrink. He's healthy and could easily revert to his early 2008 form. And our bullpen is in awful, awful shape. Plus, there may be a financial need to deal Jenks this winter, which would make our bullpen situation even worse.

Linebrink did revert to his early 2008 form in the early part of 2009. This marks the 4th straight season that Linebrink has pitched well in the first half and poorly in the second half.

You dump Linebrink for anything you can get at this point. He always comes out guns blazing and is out of ammo by July 1st.

Edited by witesoxfan

I think the best option is holding onto Linebrink for now. The last three seasons including this one, Linebrink has had a very nice first half and then struggled in the second half. If he does the same next year, then TRADE HIM instead of holding on to him. But if we can make a bad contract swap over the offseason then I think we should target a lesser contract, not a more expensive one. Try to get a guy owed less than $10.5M through 2011.

The only way I'd do a Pierre swap would be if Pierre was our 4th OF and the Dodgers at enough salary to equal everything out. But I'd still be against that, because I think chances are good that Linebrink has a good 1st half in 2010 and we'll be able to move him at the deadline to a big money contender if we eat about $1.5M off his 2011 salary, which would make his 2011 contract a much more reasonable $4M.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
The only way you could trade Linebrink is if you took a bad contract back or paid most of his. If he was a douchebag, I'd say do that, but he's a decent guy with a lot of pride. Its not inconceivable he can find it again and be very useful. Keep him.

Aren't he and Peavy good buds, too? Another reason to keep him, at least until the trade deadline to see what he's got left.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Pierre is worth that money almost based on baserunning alone. And I would personally have no problem with that deal either, as it gives Danks a full year in AA and AAA before being ready for the show.

This is assuming an outfield alignment left to right of Pierre-Rios-Quentin. That is actually the foundation of a good defensive outfield.

Pierre's having a nice season with the bat, but he'll be 33 next year, he can't steal 40+ bases a season anymore, he's averaged a .708 OPS over the past three years, and his defense is mediocre. He's basically Pods with a $10 million/year salary. I'll take the Pods on our roster for about 1/5 of that.

Linebrink did revert to his early 2008 form in the early part of 2009. This marks the 4th straight season that Linebrink has pitched well in the first half and poorly in the second half.

You dump Linebrink for anything you can get at this point. He always comes out guns blazing and is out of ammo by July 1st.

Linebrink pitched poorly down the stretch last year because he was injured. He's pitching poorly now because he can't locate his offspeed stuff, not because he's "out of ammo." Those two situations aren't related at all, and don't give us any indication of how he'll pitch next season.

If our bullpen was stocked with solid arms and we didn't have Rios or Peavy on our roster, I might agree with you. But we need a stronger bullpen more than we need a $10 million Pods.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
The only way of getting something decent is taking a bad contract on.

Or maybe someone who has worn out his welcome. I'll probably get slammed for this but Milton Bradley has definitely worn out his welcome and is overpaid for 2 yrs

All while still producing OBP (which we need) and could DH (we'll also have a need).

Guys like Carl Everett can come here and no longer have to produce soundbites b/c Guillen takes up the media's attention etc

This plus a Figgins would revamp the team into one that can draw a walk and thus makes our core guys run producers again. We need two new starting position players at least, and this way we'd contend in the present and do so relatively cheaply.

Meanwhile the Cubs could do it b/c they can slash 10M in future payroll but keep Zambrano (who would be the most easily dealable guy they have i suppose). I'm sure Ricketts will want some maneuvering room to mold the team how his mgmt would want. From our end I'd suppose we'd have to sweeten w/ a midlevel prospect

That is a good idea especially looking towards next year without Thome (probably). Bradley has a career OPS+ of 117 and Everett's career OPS+ was 109 going into the '05 season.