My surprise player to be dealt

Lemon_44

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
Yeah because God knows the Sox couldn't find someone to make up some of his production. But as I stated in that post I would rather deal PK than Buehrle

As good as Mark is, the rest of the rotation is in pretty good shape. Right now, PK is the only Sox hitter with an OPS of .850. No doubt that Mark is more valuable, but the Sox will be absolutely starving for offense next year if PK is sent packing.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buehrle has minimal value around the league. I don't get why but he just doesn't command respect from other front offices or fan bases. We all talk about it and know about it and it's sad but true. I feel like the only teams who would pay a premium for him are us, STL and anyone in the AL central. Maybe Boston too because I remember Francona having a hard on for Buehrle when he pitched in the All-Star game for him.

If St. Louis doesn't win the World Series, I think they'd be open to dealing for him but they're depleted and I dont think theyll move us Rasmus.

I don't think there are very many surprises for who will be dealt because their are so many media outlets always spectulating and what not that it seems like everyone is available always. Like Prince, Hanley, Halladay...We all know that stuff.

If I had to say my surprise Sox player - I'd say Quentin or Rios.

Around baseball someone random who I could see moved - Mauer - maybe not in the offseason but if they cant sign him long-term I think they gotta deal him and Boston seems willing to pay huge for him. Tough to turn down a Halladay like offer for him and I'd assume he'd fetch more. Even thats not too surprising though so I'll say either Hamilton or Kinsler down in Texas. They have so much offense that they should swap for some more arms or just one big arm.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Buehrle has minimal value around the league. I don't get why but he just doesn't command respect from other front offices or fan bases. We all talk about it and know about it and it's sad but true. I feel like the only teams who would pay a premium for him are us, STL and anyone in the AL central. Maybe Boston too because I remember Francona having a hard on for Buehrle when he pitched in the All-Star game for him.

I've seen this sentiment a few times in this thread, and not only do I not understand this, but I don't believe it is true. A proven pitcher like Buehrle definitely has value on the trade market, despite his "high" salary.

If I had to say my surprise Sox player - I'd say Quentin or Rios.

Now that i think about it, it's not crazy to think CQ could get dealt. In this market, a team may want a cheap player who is coming off an injury. Thats how bad some teams wanna get better on the cheap. If they could deal from a position of strength and give us somewhat higher priced players in return, theyd do it

Obviously we need corner OF so i wouldnt call it likely. But KW has shown a willingness to trade a cheap goodvalue name before (McCarthy)

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
Buehrle has minimal value around the league. I don't get why but he just doesn't command respect from other front offices

Says who? I'm sure every team in baseball would love to have Mark Buehrle, the fact is though that he has more value to the White Sox than any other franchise.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
I've seen this sentiment a few times in this thread, and not only do I not understand this, but I don't believe it is true. A proven pitcher like Buehrle definitely has value on the trade market, despite his "high" salary.

I don't really agree with the sentiment but as todays baseball is with perception (I feel like 90% of it is fantasy world based) that Buehrle isn't respected. He has always been overlooked and will continue to be so for his whole career. Which is why in many circles, he wouldn't command an "Ace" price in a trade.

He is our Ace and has proven/earned it. To the rest of the league, he is not in the same breath as a CC, Lince, Halladay, etc. It's a shame because Mark may not possess the overpowering physical tools but he has been pretty damn effective in his career doing things his way.

When you put the word trade to him, especially considering his less then stellar 2nd half/season totals, add in his contract and his age. He isn't netting us a blue chip prospect, let alone 3-4, like most of those other "aces" would.

Sucks but I think it's the truth.

I don't really agree with the sentiment but as todays baseball is with perception (I feel like 90% of it is fantasy world based) that Buehrle isn't respected. He has always been overlooked and will continue to be so for his whole career. Which is why in many circles, he wouldn't command an "Ace" price in a trade.

He is our Ace and has proven/earned it. To the rest of the league, he is not in the same breath as a CC, Lince, Halladay, etc. It's a shame because Mark may not possess the overpowering physical tools but he has been pretty damn effective in his career doing things his way.

When you put the word trade to him, especially considering his less then stellar 2nd half/season totals, add in his contract and his age. He isn't netting us a blue chip prospect, let alone 3-4, like most of those other "aces" would.

Sucks but I think it's the truth.

That's because he isn't as good as them.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
That's because he isn't as good as them.

No debating that. I could've elaborated more but im still pretty buzzed from the Hawks game.

He isn't as good as the true Aces even if he is ours. And he doesn't remotely command on the market our value of him. Much less the value of those caliber players.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
Now that i think about it, it's not crazy to think CQ could get dealt. In this market, a team may want a cheap player who is coming off an injury. Thats how bad some teams wanna get better on the cheap. If they could deal from a position of strength and give us somewhat higher priced players in return, theyd do it

Obviously we need corner OF so i wouldnt call it likely. But KW has shown a willingness to trade a cheap goodvalue name before (McCarthy)

It is very crazy to think Carlos could be dealt. He's the type of guy the sox should look into acquiring [coming off an injury, high upside], not trading. The sox offense is built around Carlos and their success depends in large part on his bouncing back from injury.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
Yeah, I don't think he will, but I wouldn't be shocked if he is. I can see a NL team giving up an OK package for him if after FA they end up a bat short.

Why would an NL team want him? He's two years or less from being a full time DH.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
I'd love to have Wainwright as a closer, but he's not going anywhere. Plus, he probably insist on starting anyway.

Drinking at 1pm? For shame. ;)

Have you seen Wainwright pitch lately? The man will be top 5 in the NL Cy Young voting this season.

There is no way that #1, he will be dealt and #2, he will leave the rotation.