• AJ
    • Pods
    • Kong
    • Beckham
    • Buehrle
    • Danks
    • Jenks
    • Thornton
    • And by valuable, you mean sucked the least?
    • Carrasco

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not voting because DJ Carrasco isn't an option. DJ is Ozzie's MVP and I agree with him. I will say this right now: DJ Carrasco (who fell just short of 100IP BTW) is one of the main reasons that the 2009 bullpen, as bad as it got, did *not* become the 2007 bullpen. You take Carrasco away from this team and who eats all those innings? I guarantee we end up with at least 3 different players aside from our regulars combining to fill those innings, and they'd all be minor leaguers or reclamation veterans like Jimmy Gobble.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
I'm not voting because DJ Carrasco isn't an option. DJ is Ozzie's MVP and I agree with him. I will say this right now: DJ Carrasco (who fell just short of 100IP BTW) is one of the main reasons that the 2009 bullpen, as bad as it got, did *not* become the 2007 bullpen. You take Carrasco away from this team and who eats all those innings? I guarantee we end up with at least 3 different players aside from our regulars combining to fill those innings, and they'd all be minor leaguers or reclamation veterans like Jimmy Gobble.

he's added

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
Pods.

It's amazing with our team the guy many vote for MVP is a guy many don't want back.

Gotta love baseball.

How many times has Pods put up back to back good years in his career? Add in the fact that he isnt as fast as before and therefore is a liability on the bases (he gets picked off and thrown out wayyyy to much) and that his defense is atrocious and he possibly could be asking for upwards of $7 mill I think its only right to question whether we want him back as a core part of the team or as a role player from the bench.

That said, way to go and hit this year Pods.

Edited by bigruss22

I voted for Pods. He's not great defensively, we can all agree on that. But, he was great in the leadoff role and had many clutch hits.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back next year patrolling left field...that is if the price tag is right.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
His average numbers, horrible baserunning, and lousy defense BLEW me out of the water...

I love people who hate Pods for no reason. Jealousy?

average numbers: Aside from his OBP... Did you watch any Sox games this year? You understand the role of a lead-off hitter... right?

horrible baserunning: He takes risks... Thats more than what you can say about 90% of MLB players.

lousy defense: I count 2 E's this year. He's not Hunter or Ichiro... but lousy? Again, did you watch any Sox games this year?

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)

average numbers: Aside from his OBP... Did you watch any Sox games this year? You understand the role of a lead-off hitter... right?

horrible baserunning: He takes risks... Thats more than what you can say about 90% of MLB players.

lousy defense: I count 2 E's this year. He's not Hunter or Ichiro... but lousy? Again, did you watch any Sox games this year?

I love people who have blind love for players and cant admit the truth.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
You mean the guy we signed to a one-year deal was our best outfielder this year despite all his faults?

Which is more of a testament to how bad our outfielders were than Pods was good.

Pods hit very well this year, and did a great job in the leadoff role. But he showed that his speed is quickly going away and has almost no threat as a basestealer anymore. He also reminded us that he makes god awful decisions on the basepaths. He played better defense than expected, but still had a few amazingly bad defensive plays and a noodle arm. I dont get that just because he did well in one role this year that we can count on him to be as good next year, or that his defense wont hurt us next year, or that he wont get injured next year.

Hes shown throughout his career that his defense is below-average, he has a hard time staying healthy, he probably wont hit as well as he did this year, his ability to steal was based on his natural speed and now that is disappearing.

I would love to have him as a 4th outfielder as he doesnt strikeout alot and seems to be loved by the team. But to count on him to be a competent leadoff man next year is wrong.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)

Yes, because errors are totally the way to judge defense, especially in the outfield...

At best, Scott Podsednik is an average fielder, AT BEST and that's only because of his speed. His tendencies in the outfield are horrific to watch.

About the base running thing, yes, players take risks. But he takes really stupid ones at critical times (see that 14 inning game against Seattle).

His hitting this year was somewhat of a fluke, the only year where he's hit close to this well before was 2003 and 2005. His high slugging percentage along with a very good average (for him at least) do not correlate to numbers in previous seasons with exception to 2003. The likely hood that he's getting much better in his mid-30s is also pretty low. To say the least, this year was a fluke for him. His BABIP was .342, 20 points higher than his career average and his highest since 2003. But this was done with nearly a 50% ground ball% and a 18% LD%. Back in 2003, he had a 23% LD% and had a BABIP of .362. His numbers just don't match up well for anybody to say that this season is what Scott Podsednik will usually produce. Now, this year being a fluke doesn't take away from him having a good year, but I'm just saying. Banking on Pods next year to do the same and stay healthy isn't realistic IMO.

His average OBP is worth even less when he gets thrown out so often.

horrible baserunning: So you are trying to justify his horrible baserunning and make it sound good by saying "He takes risks"? Great argument.... did you watch any Sox games this year? you would have noticed how many terrible baserunning mistakes he made.

lousy defense: errors are a stat decided by one guy that is sitting up in some booth watching the game. Errors are a pretty terrible stat to judge a players defense with. Again, since you brought up the "did you watch any Sox games this year?", did you not notice the horrible routes he takes to balls? Pods is a bad defender.

Pods had a fluke year and AJ had a career year... I'd pick AJ though Beckham is really making it hard. What he did was just unreal for us. He's got to be the first sox prospect since Frank to look like a future superstar or even the first since Rowand to look like he'll be solid (I'm talking pos. players here). Carrasco and Thornton are definitely up there.

AJ/Beckham/Carrasco/Thornton. You couldn't be wrong with either pick.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
Which is more of a testament to how bad our outfielders were than Pods was good.

So? No one said Pods was a top 20 player in the game or anything. The blind hate just doesn't make sense, when it could better be aimed at Alexei Ramirez, or Jermaine Dye, or Carlos Quentin. All whom seem to get a free pass.

Edited by Steve9347