White Sox talk new deal with Scott Podsednik's agent

kitekrazy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
IF Pods can stay healthy for an entire season and put up an OBP of .350 again, I agree that he'd be worth $5M. But I doubt that both of those things are going to happen.

As it stands right now, the Sox already have $71M committed to salary next year, and that doesn't include the one-year deals that will have to be doled out to Danks, Quentin, and (possibly) Jenks. Given that, the massive hole in the middle of the lineup, and the money that will have to spent to round out the 25-man roster, the Sox would literally need another $100M+ payroll to be able to afford Pods at $5M.

Pods supposedly changed his offseason workouts, and he didn't have an injury this year. With him seeing less time in the OF and more at DH, that would give him more rest and lessen the chance of injury. His $5 mill. salary wouldn't bust the sox budget.

IMO, it's far more likely to see a Pods signing plus a few low budget deals like a Coco Crisp and a FA bullpen arm for the same price of a Figgins or an Abreu. Though I could see a Konerko trade that would bring back salary relief and a lefty bat, ala Konerko to the Dodgers for Loney.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Pods supposedly changed his offseason workouts, and he didn't have an injury this year. With him seeing less time in the OF and more at DH, that would give him more rest and lessen the chance of injury. His $5 mill. salary wouldn't bust the sox budget.

That depends on what the Sox are willing to spend this year. If the budget is $90M, spending $5M on Pods would be a really bad idea. If the budget is $110 M, it might not be a terrible idea. I'm assuming that the former budget is more likely. Even if it's not, I still think that the Sox can do better value-wise than a guy who will be 34 next year, gets hurt easily, can't play defense, can't hit for power, has a bad SB%, and has averaged a mediocre .326 OBP over the past four seasons.

Given Pods' age and long injury history, I don't see a change in off-season workouts having much of an impact on his long-term durability.

IMO, it's far more likely to see a Pods signing plus a few low budget deals like a Coco Crisp and a FA bullpen arm for the same price of a Figgins or an Abreu. Though I could see a Konerko trade that would bring back salary relief and a lefty bat, ala Konerko to the Dodgers for Loney.

Agreed that Crisp (or Thome) would be much more doable than Figgins or Abreu, who will both cost a lot. Assuming that he's healthy, I'd rather go with one year of Crisp than one year of Pods. The age and salary difference would be favorable.

I don't see the Sox dealing Konerko, especially for a less productive hitter like Loney. If they did, they'd have to have somebody like Abreu or Dunn already penciled into the lineup.

Edited by WCSox

Forget Abreu. It's not happening. The Angels are going to keep him, and/or Figgins. Why would they let these guys go, as they are marching along into the postseason? Not sure if people recall, but the Angels have not exactly been manufacturing big bats in the farm system recently. They've always looked to free agency or the trade market to fill that need, and I can't imagine now that they finally have the offense they need that they are going to just let them all walk away.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Forget Abreu. It's not happening. The Angels are going to keep him, and/or Figgins. Why would they let these guys go, as they are marching along into the postseason? Not sure if people recall, but the Angels have not exactly been manufacturing big bats in the farm system recently. They've always looked to free agency or the trade market to fill that need, and I can't imagine now that they finally have the offense they need that they are going to just let them all walk away.

I heard today Abreu is near an extension.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
That depends on what the Sox are willing to spend this year. If the budget is $90M, spending $5M on Pods would be a really bad idea. If the budget is $110 M, it might not be a terrible idea. I'm assuming that the former budget is more likely. Even if it's not, I still think that the Sox can do better value-wise than a guy who will be 34 next year, gets hurt easily, can't play defense, can't hit for power, has a bad SB%, and has averaged a mediocre .326 OBP over the past four seasons.

Given Pods' age and long injury history, I don't see a change in off-season workouts having much of an impact on his long-term durability.

The 2009 Scotty Pods was much improved over the 2005-2008 versions. His approach--esp. when he was behind in the count-- of just hitting balls on the ground to get IF hits, and being more aggressive at the plate, taking strong cuts at 2-0, and 3-1 pitches instead of watching them go by, will play well in 2010.

The 2011 Pods? Not interested. But having him as a 1 yr stop gap, for $5 mill.? I'd have to say yes and so too will the sox if that's the money. Anyone else they try and acquire, via free agency or trade, will prob. cost more than Pods will.

And, as much as I like Crisp on a cheap deal, and Getz, I don't want them as the #1 and #2 options hitting leadoff.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
The 2009 Scotty Pods was much improved over the 2005-2008 versions. His approach--esp. when he was behind in the count-- of just hitting balls on the ground to get IF hits, and being more aggressive at the plate, taking strong cuts at 2-0, and 3-1 pitches instead of watching them go by, will play well in 2010.

The 2009 Scotty Pods had a lower BB/K ratio and essentially the same OBP as the 2005 Scotty Pods. The only noticeable improvement was more power, and a .412 SLG isn't exactly something to get excited about. You're also operating under the premise that Pods will essentially repeat 2009 in 2010. It's possible, but I think that it's unlikely, given his age and his unremarkable 2006, 2007, and 2008 numbers.

But having him as a 1 yr stop gap, for $5 mill.? I'd have to say yes and so too will the sox if that's the money.

I also disagree with your interpretation of the market. Abreu signed for $6M last year, but Pods is suppose to get $5M in what will be a similar market? I don't think so. Look at it this way: the Sox told Dotel's $6M ass to take a hike when he asked for a contract extension. And they need a decent middle relief arm a lot more than they need Pods.

And, as much as I like Crisp on a cheap deal, and Getz, I don't want them as the #1 and #2 options hitting leadoff.

I'd rather have that extra $5M to spend on Jenks, Thome, or somebody whose at least close to the league average at their position. I also don't think that Pods' OBP will be much higher than Getz' next year, and Getz will cost 1/10 as much.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
The 2009 Scotty Pods had a lower BB/K ratio and essentially the same OBP as the 2005 Scotty Pods. The only noticeable improvement was more power, and a .412 SLG isn't exactly something to get excited about. You're also operating under the premise that Pods will essentially repeat 2009 in 2010. It's possible, but I think that it's unlikely, given his age and his unremarkable 2006, 2007, and 2008 numbers.

I also disagree with your interpretation of the market. Abreu signed for $6M last year, but Pods is suppose to get $5M in what will be a similar market? I don't think so. Look at it this way: the Sox told Dotel's $6M ass to take a hike when he asked for a contract extension. And they need a decent middle relief arm a lot more than they need Pods.

I'd rather have that extra $5M to spend on Jenks, Thome, or somebody whose at least close to the league average at their position. I also don't think that Pods' OBP will be much higher than Getz' next year, and Getz will cost 1/10 as much.

I'll take a .412 slugging % out of my leadoff hitter all day long. And for what it's worth, Podsednik did say he has a new workout program that has managed to keep him much healthier than he used to be (but of course he is going to say that going into FA).

As for this concept of Bobby Abreu's contract being some kind of baseline for every other veteran player's worth - that is just a huge pile of horses***. Let's all face it...the Bobby Abreu situation last offseason was a fluke. It was an overreaction to a disasterous economy, the belief that Abreu couldn't possibly continue to knock in runs like he has been doing for his entire career, and a lack of liquidity in the trade market because of contracts inked in more prosperous years. However, the "panic" about the economy is largely gone. While owners will continue to be more thrifty with their payroll budgets, their purse strings will not be tied as tightly as last offseason. Secondly, Abreu has proven that there is value to be had in veteran certainty. Owners and General Managers are going to recognize this and pay up. While some GM's might try and play the Abreu at $5 million card, the agents are going to laugh, as are the players, because they know other GM's are not going to be the guy who passes on the next Bobby Abreu at $5 million.

Podsednik hit .303 out of the leadoff position last year. He managed to avoid injury. Good leadoff hitters are difficult to find. There will be Chone Figgins suitors that miss out and ultimately give Podsednik half the years and half the money and think they got a relative bargain.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)

The only way Pods get $5 million is over two years.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
I'll take a .412 slugging % out of my leadoff hitter all day long. And for what it's worth, Podsednik did say he has a new workout program that has managed to keep him much healthier than he used to be (but of course he is going to say that going into FA).

As for this concept of Bobby Abreu's contract being some kind of baseline for every other veteran player's worth - that is just a huge pile of horses***. Let's all face it...the Bobby Abreu situation last offseason was a fluke. It was an overreaction to a disasterous economy, the belief that Abreu couldn't possibly continue to knock in runs like he has been doing for his entire career, and a lack of liquidity in the trade market because of contracts inked in more prosperous years. However, the "panic" about the economy is largely gone. While owners will continue to be more thrifty with their payroll budgets, their purse strings will not be tied as tightly as last offseason. Secondly, Abreu has proven that there is value to be had in veteran certainty. Owners and General Managers are going to recognize this and pay up. While some GM's might try and play the Abreu at $5 million card, the agents are going to laugh, as are the players, because they know other GM's are not going to be the guy who passes on the next Bobby Abreu at $5 million.

Podsednik hit .303 out of the leadoff position last year. He managed to avoid injury. Good leadoff hitters are difficult to find. There will be Chone Figgins suitors that miss out and ultimately give Podsednik half the years and half the money and think they got a relative bargain.

First and foremost, the Sox need a high OPS hitter in the middle of the lineup and bullpen help. Their payroll last year was under $95 million, attendance is down from last year, and they've already committed $71 million to next year (and that doesn't include the arbitration-eligible players). While the option of bringing Pods back to lead off for one more year has merit, paying him $5 million to either DH or play crap defense in LF makes little sense unless the Sox increase their payroll substantially next year. Especially considering that the Sox need to spend in two other, more important areas first.

What also makes little sense is the assumption that Pods will repeat this year's numbers because of some newfangled workout program that will automatically erase his recent history of injuries and mediocrity at the plate. I'm not saying that he CAN'T achieve his 2009 numbers again, but paying Pods $5 million to find out seems like a hell of a gamble to me. Especially when there are much cheaper options both outside (Crisp) and inside (Getz) the organization.

However, the "panic" about the economy is largely gone.

In case you hadn't heard, 9.8% (and rising) of America is currently out of work, and I'm pretty sure that they won't be standing in line to buy season tickets this winter. The Fed has also injected trillions of dollars of liquidity into the banking system over the past year, which will inevitably lead to inflation, devalue the dollar (China has already complained about this), and could quite possibly trigger a second recession. I don't know what this winter's contracts will look like, but I'm pretty sure that most GMs will be spending more like they did last winter than they did in the winters of 2006 and 2007. "Panic" or not, the economy is still in really bad shape and there's no light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
First and foremost, the Sox need a high OPS hitter in the middle of the lineup and bullpen help. Their payroll last year was under $95 million, attendance is down from last year, and they've already committed $71 million to next year (and that doesn't include the arbitration-eligible players). While the option of bringing Pods back to lead off for one more year has merit, paying him $5 million to either DH or play crap defense in LF makes little sense unless the Sox increase their payroll substantially next year. Especially considering that the Sox need to spend in two other, more important areas first.

What also makes little sense is the assumption that Pods will repeat this year's numbers because of some newfangled workout program that will automatically erase his recent history of injuries and mediocrity at the plate. I'm not saying that he CAN'T achieve his 2009 numbers again, but paying Pods $5 million to find out seems like a hell of a gamble to me. Especially when there are much cheaper options both outside (Crisp) and inside (Getz) the organization.

In case you hadn't heard, 9.8% (and rising) of America is currently out of work, and I'm pretty sure that they won't be standing in line to buy season tickets this winter. The Fed has also injected trillions of dollars of liquidity into the banking system over the past year, which will inevitably lead to inflation, devalue the dollar (China has already complained about this), and could quite possibly trigger a second recession. I don't know what this winter's contracts will look like, but I'm pretty sure that most GMs will be spending more like they did last winter than they did in the winters of 2006 and 2007. "Panic" or not, the economy is still in really bad shape and there's no light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Yeah, who knows what Pods will do in 2010. My guess is he returns to being a productive player again and posts a line slightly lower than his line this year. Honestly, in the NL, I think he's probably a more valuable asset to have, but my feeling is he will have a few AL suitors, including ourselves.

As for the economy, I certainly was not claiming that all is well and good. But last offseason hit very shortly after the economy really crashed and there was major panic in the air. I am sure I don't need to explain that to you. I think a lot of teams were really frightened as to just how deeply this would affect their revenues, and were extremely cautious about expanding or even taking on any new payroll expenditures because of the uncertainty. Now that a year has passed, and owners can see there will be fans that show up, they will still buy merchandise and concessions, and the League is still in pretty good shape in terms of television revenue, they can continue to operate without any major deviation from normal practices. Sure, they are going to watching their bottom line a bit more than 2-3 years ago, but I don't believe there will be an overreaction like there was last offseason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
Yeah, who knows what Pods will do in 2010. My guess is he returns to being a productive player again and posts a line slightly lower than his line this year. Honestly, in the NL, I think he's probably a more valuable asset to have, but my feeling is he will have a few AL suitors, including ourselves.

As for the economy, I certainly was not claiming that all is well and good. But last offseason hit very shortly after the economy really crashed and there was major panic in the air. I am sure I don't need to explain that to you. I think a lot of teams were really frightened as to just how deeply this would affect their revenues, and were extremely cautious about expanding or even taking on any new payroll expenditures because of the uncertainty. Now that a year has passed, and owners can see there will be fans that show up, they will still buy merchandise and concessions, and the League is still in pretty good shape in terms of television revenue, they can continue to operate without any major deviation from normal practices. Sure, they are going to watching their bottom line a bit more than 2-3 years ago, but I don't believe there will be an overreaction like there was last offseason.

Yeah, I pretty much agree.

If the Sox DO end up re-signing Pods, it'll probably be because JR & Co. are allowing Kenny to spend big next year, and that would be a good thing.

Really Pods should take a discount if he wants to stay at the Sox.

It's been really the only team where he's had major success at, and they gave him another chance to reviatlize his career and it worked for both parties, so they should come to a mutual understanding.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
Yeah, I pretty much agree.

If the Sox DO end up re-signing Pods, it'll probably be because JR & Co. are allowing Kenny to spend big next year, and that would be a good thing.

See, I tend to think the opposite. I think if they resign Pods it's because we're trying to avoid spending big. I think they have realized they can't just throw anyone into the spot like they did this year, but at the same time, the money just isn't there to acquire someone that's going to make $8 million + on the open market. My guess is the younger kids are going to be used to save money in the bullpen, Dotel, and possibly Jenks will be gone, we'll have an OF of Rios/Quentin/Pods (or some other vet that is serviceable), and the same basic infield and catching situation.

What they do with Flowers, I honestly couldn't tell you, but that also depends on what happens with our DH situation. I would be fairly surprised if Thome wasn't brought back, although the A's might cut Jack Cust loose and he could be an option.

I don't know, I agree with what Steve Phillips said during Peavy's last start - KW says there are going to be some major changes forthcoming, but there just aren't many changes that can be made with our current personnel and payroll situation unless you're talking about dealing some guys that none of us expect - such as a Konerko, a Buehrle, a Floyd, a Pierzynski, etc. Otherwise, there is only so much that can change.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
Really Pods should take a discount if he wants to stay at the Sox.

It's been really the only team where he's had major success at, and they gave him another chance to reviatlize his career and it worked for both parties, so they should come to a mutual understanding.

He may accept a very minor discount, but let's face it, Podsednik is trying to take care of his family with this next contract. He's made a reasonable amount of money over his career, but he's never had a major payday, and being married to a former Playmate is probably not cheap.

My guess is Scottie is going to follow the money here, as this his probably his last chance to make some real cash.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
He may accept a very minor discount, but let's face it, Podsednik is trying to take care of his family with this next contract. He's made a reasonable amount of money over his career, but he's never had a major payday, and being married to a former Playmate is probably not cheap.

My guess is Scottie is going to follow the money here, as this his probably his last chance to make some real cash.

He does that, he'll probably end up going back to what he did in Colorado.

Hence why he should look at staying with the Sox, even if it's on a 1 year deal with an option, because it's the best chance for him to produce and if he does that, he'll get taken care of.

He signs a 1 year deal somewhere else and doesn't hit well, he's back at looking at minor league contracts for 2011 IMO.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
I am not the biggest believer that a certain position requires a certain amount of production... but...

You simply do not dh a hitter as poor as podsednik or any player of his ilk for any signifigant amount of plate appearances.

I certainly wouldn't have Podsednik as my DH. I'd have him split time as a LF / 4th OF who gets about 75% AB's during the season.

The biggest way this offense gets back to beng at least above average is for Rios to take a step forward, and for Quentin to get back to level close to his 2008 production.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)
He does that, he'll probably end up going back to what he did in Colorado.

Hence why he should look at staying with the Sox, even if it's on a 1 year deal with an option, because it's the best chance for him to produce and if he does that, he'll get taken care of.

He signs a 1 year deal somewhere else and doesn't hit well, he's back at looking at minor league contracts for 2011 IMO.

First off, there is no reason he can't produce somewhere else. While he certainly feels comfortable in Chicago, there is really no evidence to suggest this is the only place he can be successful.

Secondly, I think he'll get a few multi-year offers.

Finally, his agent has to be aware of the fact that he is probably a 1-year stopgap were he to sign with Chicago. So even if he did play well here in 2010, odds are, we'll be ready to move on by 2011.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 02:36 AM)
First off, there is no reason he can't produce somewhere else. While he certainly feels comfortable in Chicago, there is really no evidence to suggest this is the only place he can be successful.

Secondly, I think he'll get a few multi-year offers.

Finally, his agent has to be aware of the fact that he is probably a 1-year stopgap were he to sign with Chicago. So even if he did play well here in 2010, odds are, we'll be ready to move on by 2011.

I think most likely he can find someone to give him a 2 year deal with 10 mil. Or at least 1 Year 5 mil with an option for the 2nd at 5 mil. If i was the sox I wouldnt do that. Hes not a long term solution to anything, and he has never had back to back productive years.